Open container restrictions?

2 cruzen

I live in a town that doesn't allow buying a drink and then walking around town. Does OSJ have any such restrictions? I want a Piña Colada from Barrachina's, but don't want to stay for lunch. Thank you.

Edited by 2 cruzen

I live in a town that doesn't allow buying a drink and then walking around town. Does OSJ have any such restrictions? I want a Piña Colada from Barrachina's, but don't want to stay for lunch. Thank you.

When we were there in January we walked to the Fort and it was hot. On the way home, we stopped at a local bar for a beer. Asked the bartender about taking it out and he said it wasn't allowed. Out came the Red Solo Cups :D. Just ask them to put it in a to go cup. I'm sure they can accomodate you.

The replies so far might suggest that alcohol bottles and cans and in drink glasses are a no-no, but alcoholic drinks in plastic cups are fine. They are not. You might get away with it, but if a San Juan City policeman (dressed in black) catches you, you might get a citation. If it's a "State" policeman (dressed in blue), he very well may ignore you. It's a city ordinance for certain sections of the San Juan metropolitan area, Old San Juan included.

The ordinance is waived during certain special events like the San Sebastian Street Festival.

The ordinance is waived during certain special events like the San Sebastian Street Festival.

To take this one step further ... during activities like SanSe, drinking in the streets is permitted in certain areas. The police typically set up "barricades" ... drinking is permitted on "this side" of the barricade, but not on the "other side".

I agree that most places especially in the US have open container laws but I think in the tourist type areas, the cops may look the other way as long as your walking around, keeping to yourself, just exploring and not acting like a fool. I think if you are being rowdy, loud, falling down drunk and acting like a fool, they will probably stop you and possibly arrest you.

The replies so far might suggest that alcohol bottles and cans and in drink glasses are a no-no, but alcoholic drinks in plastic cups are fine. They are not. You might get away with it, but if a San Juan City policeman (dressed in black) catches you, you might get a citation. If it's a "State" policeman (dressed in blue), he very well may ignore you. It's a city ordinance for certain sections of the San Juan metropolitan area, Old San Juan included.

THANK YOU...I guess I will enjoy my Piña Colada in the restaurant. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't really matter what the laws are and what people get away with in other places. Does it?

The question is about San Juan. Specifically, Old San Juan.

There's a nice bar in Baracchina. After a day in the hot sun, just order your drink and sit and enjoy it. No need to order lunch. :D

Personally, I'm not a fan of the place. Had a rather unpleasant experience when storing my bags there. I prefer to go to Punta de Vista and have one of their very good (always 2-for-1) mojitos. Sit out on the patio, under cover, right along the waterfront.

But I have to wait several months to be able to do that.