Putin and the Baltics

tenpintap

So what happens if Putin marches into the Baltics as predicted by talking heads on TV. Will NCL change their plans and alter their scheduled docking in those ports. We're going in June. Also, what about St. Pete ? Any ideas.

So what happens if Putin marches into the Baltics as predicted by talking heads on TV.
When are they predicting that this will happen? :confused: I don't think you really have anything to worry about concerning the Baltic countries on your cruise (technically, there is only one: Estonia). Between now and June, I think Putin will have his hands full with Ukraine/Crimea.

The bigger risk is St. Petersburg, as you mentioned. If things go sour between Russian and the USA/EU over the Crimea in the next few weeks, I can easily imagine that NCL may choose to (or be forced to) drop this port, which will leave a huge hole in the Baltic Sea itineraries. :(

I would not worry if I had a trip coming up soon. We are traveling to a bordering country and will be within a hundred miles of the Ukraine, and I have asked people "on the ground" over there. They report some isolated protests that most of the country doesn't notice. This isn't like cruise lines not going to Egypt where things at the port are often unsafe and dirty (because of the lack of government services like sanitation).

I don't think the USA will act alone and so Putin would likely restrict all of the NATO countries if he did anything and I suspect that is highly unlikely. Like most of the crises for our country, I think the current administration will just keep saying things and do nothing hoping the situation will go away. Then, the borders will slowly change with protests here and there being ineffective.

I don't mean to be callous about the situation in the Ukraine, but it seems that the sovereign borders of the countries of the world won't just forever freeze to where they were in Feb. 2014. These sorts of things seem to be a normal part of world history, sad to say.

So, if I had a trip to St. Petersburg scheduled, I would just look upon it as my being more involved in the history of the world, but I would not schedule a new trip that included Russia as an act of protest. I wonder if Baltic cruises will be less popular because of this.

So, if I had a trip to St. Petersburg scheduled, I would just look upon it as my being more involved in the history of the world, but I would not schedule a new trip that included Russia as an act of protest. I wonder if Baltic cruises will be less popular because of this.

Is your conscience ruled by which cruises you have already booked? You state that you would go ahead with a Russian cruise if already booked, but that your morality would kick in and you would not book future cruises calling at that country.

I don't have a dog in the race in the whole Russia/Crimea scenario. I am just confused about certain cruisers who will accept a given situation if they have a cruise booked that they are looking forward to, but will choose to "protest" if they don't happen to have a cruise booked to the countries involved.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated........and I mean that sincerely......not snarky,

Kate

And remember prior to 1954 the Crimea region was part of the USSR when it was given to the Ukraine by the Soviets for reasons I need to research and I doubt a vote was ever taken on the mostly Russian Crimea region being forced to be part of the Ukraine.

European history is rife with crazy borders etc. Serbia lost Kosovo which Russia doesn't recognize.

Czechoslovakia peacefully split in two - that country was more the product of a war settlement that any logistical ethnic reason.

There were two Germanies based on political idealogies and not ethnic lines. That has also changed.

The Ukraine is not part of NATO so there is no requirement for the US and its allies to defend it.

Anytime you book a cruise you run the risk of having ports changed. If the US/Europe put restrictions of Russians then fully expect it will be tit for tat.

The simple solution is if you are concerned about any of these ports and worried about what might happen - DON'T BOOK THE CRUISE and if booked and outside of the final payment window CANCEL IT.

Cheers and have a good weekend everyone.

Dennis

Is your conscience ruled by which cruises you have already booked? You state that you would go ahead with a Russian cruise if already booked, but that your morality would kick in and you would not book future cruises calling at that country.

I'm looking at this tentative situation as a realist, not as a hypocrite as you are implying. I have quite a bit of money tied up in my current trip to central/eastern Europe and would lose thousands of dollars if I backed out on my cruise and extended vacation because of what could possibly happen politically. I, like others who are on early Baltic cruises, am past the window where I can get my down payment and airfare back. On the other hand, if I was planning on going the spring of 2015, I would not book a cruise that goes to Russia.

I would not condemn or criticize anyone else who would make a different decision. I do have sympathy for those who are worrying about their SPB port as many note that this is a bucket list destination. I personally am not worrying about civil unrest for those who will be allowed to travel to Russia.

I totally get it, Connie, since you are rapidly approaching your cruise date and have nonrefundable airfare and down payment on your Baltics cruise.

I had been considering putting a deposit on the Star Baltics cruise for summer 2015 until these changes all started happening over there. I would also hate to miss St. Petersburg as a port, that was the highlight of the itinerary to me as well. Now you and I'm sure many others have to debate whether to go ahead with it and hope for the best, with the Baltics news updates changing daily, or cancel and recoup some of your money but not all, and lose your airfare and possibly hotel reservations, etc. I feel for you. All I can say is go with your instincts. Maybe the next few weeks will provide new developments that might help with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard of any speculation of Putin marching into the Baltics.

But if he did, they are NATO members (Ukraine, Crimea, are not). In that case, your cruise itinerary would be the least of your worries.

So what happens if Putin marches into the Baltics as predicted by talking heads on TV. Will NCL change their plans and alter their scheduled docking in those ports.

tenpintap I feel for you. I do not have a cruise booked but my children and I were planning on next summer 2015. Thank goodness we hadn't booked. Now we have to wait and see.

I have never wanted to see Russia because it was full of good people (it is) or I agreed with the government. (I don't, but then I don't always agree with ours ) I wanted to see it because it's history amazes me and there is so much beauty there. Also, I had a pen pal from Russia for years so I want to see where he is from. Will I give them my tourist dollars? Yes, if things have simmered down. I'm thinking we will be going elsewhere though. I would not book a Baltics if Russia was not on it.

The Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania are all NATO members. If Russia invades one or all of them, we have a war and cruising will be the last thing to worry about.

That event is highly unlikely. Putin still has to deal with how much of Ukraine he wants to gobble up.