Looking for good hotel newark airport

Tybro

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good hotel for one night pre cruise. I know there are lots of good value hotels like Fairfield Inn and Courtyard Suites...etc. I would like to stay in a nice hotel with a decent restaurant and bar that is either in the hotel or close enough walk. I know there are plenty of those in NYC, but are there any near Newark Airport or the cruise terminal? Maybe a 4 or 5 star hotel? Can't seem to find one.

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm looking for a good hotel for one night pre cruise. I know there are lots of good value hotels like Fairfield Inn and Courtyard Suites...etc. I would like to stay in a nice hotel with a decent restaurant and bar that is either in the hotel or close enough walk. I know there are plenty of those in NYC, but are there any near Newark Airport or the cruise terminal? Maybe a 4 or 5 star hotel? Can't seem to find one.

Thanks

I'm not sure you are going to find a hotel at Newark Airport that fulfills all your expectations. The closest would be the 4* Marriott in the very center of the airport near the terminals. You would be limited to the choices on the property - there is no where to walk from there.

Another option would be the 4* Hilton Penn Station Newark which does have an airport shuttle. This would provide easier access to the Ironbound district in Newark for restaurants as well as the facilities that the hotel offers. From this hotel it would be easy to take the train into NYC for other dining options.

No, I guess I won't find anything good near the airport. Just wanted something with a nice bar and restaurant. Looks like I need to go to NYC. We'll be arriving in the evening so won't be spending much time there, but also don't want to be stuck in a place with no food/drinks and no easy access. If anyone has suggestions, please share.

Thanks

Trying to decide which one. I'm thinking Country Inn because it's within walking distance of a mall. Not sure what is close, walking distance, of the Hampton. Hampton has a shuttle included to Cape Liberty I think, where I have to pay for one at Country Inn. Both are about the same price for an early October one night stay.

Trying to decide which one. I'm thinking Country Inn because it's within walking distance of a mall. Not sure what is close, walking distance, of the Hampton. Hampton has a shuttle included to Cape Liberty I think, where I have to pay for one at Country Inn. Both are about the same price for an early October one night stay.

Without a car you will only have the option to walk next door to the Hilton Gardens on Staten Island to eat dinner unless you want to take a cab somewhere. At Country Inns you have the choice of eating at Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Courtyard Marriott, or walking to Jersey Gardens Mall where there is a food court, shops and movies.

The Hampton Inn free shuttle is appealing, but not really useful for the return trip if you are flying out of Newark.

Without a car you will only have the option to walk next door to the Hilton Gardens on Staten Island to eat dinner unless you want to take a cab somewhere. At Country Inns you have the choice of eating at Ruby Tuesdays, IHOP, Courtyard Marriott, or walking to Jersey Gardens Mall where there is a food court, shops and movies.

The Hampton Inn free shuttle is appealing, but not really useful for the return trip if you are flying out of Newark.

We can book a one way from the Country Inn to the port, then take a shared transfer to EWR at the end of the cruise. Think I will go with Country Inn for the reasons you stated. Thanks

We can book a one way from the Country Inn to the port, then take a shared transfer to EWR at the end of the cruise. Think I will go with Country Inn for the reasons you stated. Thanks

The hotel's airport shuttle will drive you over to Jersey Gardens as well....and pick you up, but you may have to wait and/or go along with them to/from the airport....

The hotel's airport shuttle will drive you over to Jersey Gardens as well....and pick you up, but you may have to wait and/or go along with them to/from the airport....

Is the Jersey Gardens different than the mall that's suppose to be 1/3 mile or so from the Country Inn?

Did you even look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton which is in the heart of downtown Newark with train to NYC access across the street?

Yes, I did thanks. Looks okay. We'll be arriving in the evening and won't be taking the train anywhere. Just want a decent, clean hotel with a good restaurant either in the hotel of within walking distance. The Hilton doesn't get great reviews for food, but I guess it doesn't really matter for one night.

If you stay at the Hilton Penn Station Newark, you want to look at the restaurants in this area - http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Ironbound+District&find_loc=Newark%2C+NJ

They are close to the Hilton, but do yourselves a favor in Newark and take a cab even though a restaurant might seem close enough to walk,

Love Casa Vasca!

If you stay at the Hilton Penn Station Newark, you want to look at the restaurants in this area - http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Ironbound+District&find_loc=Newark%2C+NJ

They are close to the Hilton, but do yourselves a favor in Newark and take a cab even though a restaurant might seem close enough to walk,

Why do you say that?

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and safety is always a concern. We want those cruisers who come to visit from less urban areas to be safe, so taking a cab in downtown Newark is a prudent choice.

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area and safety is always a concern. We want those cruisers who come to visit from less urban areas to be safe, so taking a cab in downtown Newark is a prudent choice.

Thanks for the comment. Is it safe to walk from the Country Inn over to the mall? Sounds like a short distance.

If you stay at Country Inns, the hotel shuttle will drive you to the mall. You might have to walk back. The one time I stayed there for two days, I did not go over to the mall, but other family members did and they drove the short distance. Personally, I would probably walk if I didn't have a car. IMO Glimcher Realty Way is one of the nicest areas around the airport. One of the mornings I was there I got up at 5 am and drove my car over to the airport to pick up my daughter and didn't think twice about doing it.

Thanks for the comment. Is it safe to walk from the Country Inn over to the mall? Sounds like a short distance.

It's safe and it's not a far distance...the parking lot at the mall is the longest area to cover....

I have walked, I just prefer to take the hotel shuttle....generally, when I want to go it's too hot, too cold or pouring... :D

Yes, I did thanks. Looks okay. We'll be arriving in the evening and won't be taking the train anywhere. Just want a decent, clean hotel with a good restaurant either in the hotel of within walking distance. The Hilton doesn't get great reviews for food, but I guess it doesn't really matter for one night.

I've eaten there...it's not bad at all...not cheap of course, but you won't go hungry...

also check out the Ironbound area...

http://www.goironbound.com/ibidsite/

We have walked both ways (in daylight) from that hotel and it was fine. The food court at the Mall is very nice, quite large. And we didn't know this until we got there, but there is no sales tax on clothing in New Jersey. We wondered why there were so many NY license plates in the parking lot. Duh! LOL