Comparing Carnival and Norwegian. Is Norwegian "Fun"?

Exactly how we felt too.

Sent from my mobile device. Typos are inevitable.

Us too. I really don't see much of a reason to continue to sail the same cruise line. Their "perks" really have little draw for me, and really don't amount to much at all (pins, a few drinks, a little soire with staff, etc). I know some like getting on the ship before others. Being the first to board holds no interest, either. I'll get on when I get on.

What's of more interest to me are the new amenities on ships. Just for an example, I really, really like The Waterfront on Breakaway and the Ocean Plaza area on the Breeze. For a few years, some cruise lines (namely Royal) kept trying to steer you away from the water by putting balcony cabins and activities that pointed inside the ship, away from the water. I did not like that trend, at all.

Now, it seems the opposite is happening, with more outside areas, particularly ones open to the water.

That said, I've got an NCL Breakaway (in a Haven Suite) on the horizon, and maybe the Quantum of the Seas or the Sunshine, maybe even the Getaway, after that.

King....you sure you found the "White Hot Party"? This is the one we were on when we sailed Epic.

Edited by graphicguy

I've got an NCL Breakaway (in a Haven Suite) on the horizon, and maybe the Quantum of the Seas or the Sunshine, maybe even the Getaway, after that.

We've booked a Haven suite on Getaway, but there is a lot of talk over on the NCL forum about how the Haven areas are not adequately controlled by the cruise staff and random passengers just "crash" the facilities.

If that's the case I won't be cruising with NCL again after paying all this money to experience their "ship within a ship" concept.

I sailed on the Norwegian Epic and LOVED it! It was lively, the staff were great, beautiful ship, many restaurants, and great entertainment. I enjoyed the Carnival Breeze and Epic equally but would definitely rate the Epic above the other Carnival ships I've been on (Valor, Conquest, Freedom). Still had a blast on all of them. :D

Hello everybody.

I am a faithful Carnival Cruise Fan (most recent cruise was the Breeze) and I have never tried Norwegian, but I am considering my next cruise on the Getaway. I am looking for help from those who have recently tried both Carnival and Norwegian and can help me with my decision. I do have a few questions.

1.) Carnival has a fun, relaxed atmosphere. Is it the same on Norwegian?

2.) We will be opting out of any of the specialty restaurants if we choose Norwegian, so how is the food in the 3 included dining rooms? Are they open for Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and do you need reservations?

3.) Do you need reservations for all entertainment options?

4.) How did the staff compare to Carnival?

5.) Is soft served ice cream available free 24/7?

6.) What will the clientele be like in January on Norwegian?

Thanks and any other advice/recommendations are appreciated

Here's my 2 cents worth. We just sailed Carnival (Breeze) for our first time. Previous cruises were all NCL. We liked Carnival and wouldn't rule out doing it again, but felt there were areas that were lacking as compared to NCL (but there were areas that were better too. To answer your questions:

1). Its also relaxed on NCL but much more laid back and mellow.

2). You don't need reservations in the dining rooms at all. I feel the food is ok. Carnival's MDR food is better, but NCL's buffet is leagues above Carnivals. I thought Carnival's breakfast buffet was inedible period. I mostly had burritos.

3).You don't need reservations for ALL of the entertainment, but most of it you do. I don't think we made reservations for the comedy show, but everything else we went to we did (on Epic). Entertainment on NCL is much better than Carnival in my opinion.

4). Staff was WAY WAY better on NCL. We had a couple rude staff members on Carnival although our room steward and one bartender were exceptional. The CD was never seen except on the TV and forget about other officers. On NCL they are around all the time, remember your name, call your room just to wish you a good cruise. It took 2 days to get a response from the Food & Bev. manager on Carnival about a problem. NCL staff seem a lot more service oriented.

5).I know there was soft serve ice cream on the pool deck sometimes and on the buffet there was ice cream, but I don't think there was soft serve 24/7 though I am not 100% sure.

6) Clientele will be similar but lean slightly older. It isn't the "Party" atmosphere as on Carnival. We went on Carnival hoping for a more lively group of people (not crazy rowdy, just people to have a good time with). We did have that but we also go fights in the hallway and slamming doors at 3am while we tried to sleep. By the way, the beds were really uncomfortable on the Breeze too.

Also, one other difference that I really took note of. NCL they are at the doorways to every restaurant and buffet with sanitizer and will come after you if you don't get some. At Carnival they had dispensers at the entrances that I hardly ever saw anyone use. I also saw people sneeze on the buffet food. Yuck! I just think there was more a focus on sanitation on NCL. Maybe it was just me...

We're going back to NCL next year but who knows, we may go back on Carnival again. The cruise fares are good and I like the 8 day cruises. Good luck with your decision!

We were on the Breeze last month and did the Anytime dining. Big disappointment. They have 4 tables for two spaced about 12 inches apart. When they fill all 4 tables up, then they come over and take your order like it was a table for 8. On NCL a table for 2 is just that, like any other restaurant on shore.

We had the same experience on the Breeze. We basically were eating in groups of 6. There was not room to even squeeze a skinny person between and they take your orders all the same time. One experience was great and the next night was awkward. We only went to the MDR one more time after that and we asked to be seated alone. We said it was our anniversary (it wasn't that day but not far off) and we got a table for two that was about 18 inches from the next rather than the 6 of previous.

OP: if you posted this on the NCL board I probably said the same thing to you there: it's best to try NCL (or Carnival, etc.) yourself and form your own opinion! :)

I'd try the Getaway in a heartbeat; I thought its sister, the Breakaway, was awesome.

Edited by mizlorinj

I am reading and interested in this as right now the only reasonably priced, itinerary specific Med cruise for September 2015 is on Norwegian Spirit. How is Norwegian with food allergies? I know how great Carnival is but not sure how Norwegian is with it.