New cruisers on ms Oosterdam

MelbCruuser

My partner and I will be going on our first-ever cruise to Pacific Islands for 14 nights on ms Oosterdam departing Sydney 30 March.

We’ve read a lot about the 'O' and how it desperately needs a makeover. We’re not fussed about worn carpets and the like through normal wear and care. But is the service, food, entertainment and amenities up to scratch? We’ve read so many polarising views, some excellent and others, never to sail with HA again.

Our cabin VA8xxx is at the back on Navigation Deck 8, under the SeaView Pool decking. People who have previously occupied cabins in the same vicinity say they didn’t hear a thing but others wanted cabin transfers. Will being at the back be more likely in get seasick through the greater motion? Would like to hear from people who have stayed in similar cabins on this ship or other HA ships.

We cant work out the electricity situation. We know its both 110 & 240V but are there separate powerpoints for each? And how many are in the cabin itself apart from the bathroom. And if they are separate, will US-Aus adapters be required for the 240v?

Thanks

My experience is a bit out of date but here goes. We sailed on the O in Dec 2012 and found the ship to be in good condition, but it was straight after the last refurb. We were in cabin 8072 which was midship and under the Lido restaurant. We didn't have any problems with noise and loved the position.

Back then I found the staff to be great and enjoyed the cruise thoroughly.

In regards to the electricity there is a 220v (european) plug and 110v (US) plug. We took and adaptor for each. I prefer the 220v as it is closer to our voltage. If using the 110v you need to make sure your appliance is dual voltage.

We just did the 14-day island cruise on Oosterdam in December. We found the condition of the ship just fine but I did hear that a few people did have specific maintenance issues with their specific cabins. The electrical outlets (one each of the difference voltage) are located on top of the desk/vanity.

Service seemed fine although we did notice that the Lido seemed a bit short-staffed. We did not attend the entertainment so can't comment there.

Our cabin was not in the location of yours. But generally those folks on deck 8 do comment sometimes of noise from deck chairs being moved by crew in the early evening and again in the morning.

We cant work out the electricity situation. We know its both 110 & 240V but are there separate powerpoints for each? And how many are in the cabin itself apart from the bathroom. And if they are separate, will US-Aus adapters be required for the 240v?
The only plug in the cabin that is the std North American configuration is the 110. The other is the European style (2 round plugs, recessed). If you want to use both, you'll need two different styles of adapters. Edited by Mary Ellen

I've been on Miss O twice and loved her. She is a beautiful ship. What some people refer to as "rundown" can merely mean slightly worn but still beautiful. I've never found her to be anything but elegant.

we were on the Oosterdam from 2 Feb until 16 Feb from Sydney Au to Auckland NZ staying in cabin 8079.

we had a great time and didn't notice any noise. our cabin was just aft of the mid ship elevators under the Lido.

there was some wear and tear noticeable but nothing very bad.

My partner and I will be going on our first-ever cruise to Pacific Islands for 14 nights on ms Oosterdam departing Sydney 30 March.

Hi and welcome to Cruise Critic :) you will find all of the information you need on here for any cruise line.

We are also on the Oosterdam 30/3 cruise and there is a role call for this at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879006

Please have a look and maybe join us for the meet and greet at 10:30 on the first sea day.

Happy cruising,

Chris

We sailed on the Oosterdam for 41 nights from Seattle to Auckland last Oct/Nov - We didn't notice any signs of excessive wear/tear. Perhaps a couple of worn chairs in the theatre here and there.

Had a fantastic fine - food was great. Staff were fantastic with our young kids. Couldn't have asked for a better vacation.

Well, everyone's comments are quite encouraging & it seems we WILL be enjoying the cruise. And thanks.

Fairstars: i looked at that link and cant find anything about a roll call or the cruise at all.

Another question: even though electric kettles are banned, we're taking tea & coffee and hope the hot water out of tap is sufficient. Is food allowed to be taken onboard?

Well, everyone's comments are quite encouraging & it seems we WILL be enjoying the cruise. And thanks.

Fairstars: i looked at that link and cant find anything about a roll call or the cruise at all.

Another question: even though electric kettles are banned, we're taking tea & coffee and hope the hot water out of tap is sufficient. Is food allowed to be taken onboard?

The water out of the tap will not be hot enough. You can swing by the lido to get hat water for tea 24/7.

I was on the O for a cruise in Aug 2013. The O remains one of my favorite ships. I thought the food was very good on that cruise.

We’ve read a lot about the 'O' and how it desperately needs a makeover. We’re not fussed about worn carpets and the like through normal wear and care. But is the service, food, entertainment and amenities up to scratch? We’ve read so many polarising views, some excellent and others, never to sail with HA again.

Our cabin VA8xxx is at the back on Navigation Deck 8, under the SeaView Pool decking. People who have previously occupied cabins in the same vicinity say they didn’t hear a thing but others wanted cabin transfers. Will being at the back be more likely in get seasick through the greater motion? Would like to hear from people who have stayed in similar cabins on this ship or other HA ships.

Thanks

I just got off the ship last Sunday . Please don't worry . Every thing was in fine shape .You'll have a fantastic trip .Go and enjoy it .

Hi, it's the other half of Fairstars here. If you click on the link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879006 it will take you to the first page of what's called the Roll Call. The Roll Call is just a gathering of the CC members who are all on this cruise and who have a separate thread to discuss all sorts of stuff. You can read thru all the posts or if you click on this link, it will take you to the last page of the Roll Call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1879006&page=7

We also organise a Meet & Greet which is where we get together on board. It's the first sea day after Sydney at 10.30am in the Crows Nest, so even if you don't get on the Roll Call, do come along, you're very welcome. :D Plus if you post your first names and where you're from (tho I'm guessing it's Melbourne? :rolleyes:), I'll make you nice sticky name labels for the meeting. :p

Take care

Marianne :)

Edited by fairstars

Cruz Chic & Razorback Cruiser, thanks for the info. So I guess its ok to take tea, coffee etc onboard?

Fairstars, we understand you now. Didn’t know such a thread existed. Yes, we’re from Melbourne. Btw, what do you mean “the other half”?

After having read some threads about the Pinnacle Restaurant, if you don’t book early, you wont get a table. But as we were going through the booking process, we discovered on the final page (which we didn’t know when it was to appear) that its for sunday night, the departure day. Like, we didn’t get a choice of what night.

We thought that’s no good as we’ll be so excited and never having been on a cruise, we wont want to be wining & dining as the ship sails out of the harbour, Furthermore, we probably wont even be hungry. It says in the confirmation email, bookings can be cancelled online up to 3 days before departure day but we cant find that although it can be cancelled once onboard. Can anyone enlighten us on that?

You can take tea/coffee on board if you have preferred brands. I'm quite a fussy tea drinker but found the onboard variety's fine. They even had PG Tips which is one of my personal favorites.

The regular coffee is also half drinkable unlike say Princess.

Fairstars, we understand you now. Didn’t know such a thread existed. Yes, we’re from Melbourne. Btw, what do you mean “the other half”?

Yep, there's a Roll Call for each cruise line and each cruise. Feel free to post on ours. :p

Did you see the list I put up of all the members who are coming to the Meet & Greet? If you want to join in, just let me know your first names and I'll add you.

By 'the other half' I meant, my husband Chris answered you first, then I answered you second. Maybe I should have put 'the better half' of Fairstars. :D

Take care

Dont know about the m & g especially at 10.30.

Seeing that it'll be our first cruise, we wont know how we'll be feeling in the morning whatever the reason may be. Whether it'll be getting over the excitement/euphoria, or not much sleep or over-eating and drinking.

But i'm sure we'll all bump into each other somewhere, sometime later.

So who's the better half then? lol

Dont know about the m & g especially at 10.30.

Seeing that it'll be our first cruise, we wont know how we'll be feeling in the morning whatever the reason may be. Whether it'll be getting over the excitement/euphoria, or not much sleep or over-eating and drinking.

But i'm sure we'll all bump into each other somewhere, sometime later.

So who's the better half then? lol

Well, if you're feeling up to it, come to the Crows Nest at 10.30am and meet the other CC members on board.

I'm sure I'm the better half. :D

Take care

We're leaving tomorrow (satday) for Sydney where we'll stay overnite. Didnt want to chance a strike or bomb threat or Alan Joyce's grounding-of-planes trick on sunday.

To those we havent thanked yet - PMD98052, nana51, esimon, comcox, aussiedisneyfan, a sly fox, Mary Ellen and fairstars, all with positive comments, we're sure to enjoy our very first cruise.

Well, its been 48 hrs into the cruise and all we can say is we're impressed & blown-away. The sheer excitement & feeling of the ship reversing & sailing up the harbour cant be described in words.

The ship itself is fantastic, we cant see any evidence of it needing a makeover nor worn carpets. Its all class here.

fairstars: there are a lot of blokes with white/grey beards onboard and i been trying to work out if you're any of them. Are you on the tall & thin side?