!4 Day Grand Med on the Sprirt for 2015-help!

curlgirl13

Hi

My fiance and I are looking at the 14 Day Grand Mediterranean Barcelona to Venice in July 2015 for our honeymoon. We've read a lot of reviews and we're just worried about the ship. We know it's older, but we also know a lot is what you make of everything. There's 11 ports so its not like we'll be on the ship a ton anyway. We've only done one cruise before, the Carnival Dream in the carribean last year

So 2 questions for you all! 1) Do you recommend getting a balcony? Is it worth it? and 2) I know everyone has their own preferences, but do you think we would regret the trip because of the ship? We could go on something like the Island or Emerald Princess with similar stops.

Thanks!!!

A balcony cabin is definitely worth it, especially on a cruise longer than 7 days. No doubt in my mind....

Regarding the ship it self:

Yes it is older than the rest of the NCL fleet - but it doesn't mean that it is "old" (built in 1998). It is not as big as the rest of the fleet, but has a lot of charm, many like it because it looks more like the cruise ships used to look like before.

The balcony cabin will be worth every penny you pay for the views. Starboard side for the cruise into Venice.

It is a port intensive cruise so you need to decide if you are sailing to see the ports or to enjoy all the things the ships offer. The ports are very, very tiring and in July the heat can be brutal in the Med.

The ability to dine as and when and where you like comes into it's own on this itinerary. So does the more relaxed dress code, other lines are getting there on these things.

I have never had a problem with the food myself. I guess it is because I tend to dine at off peak times or maybe because I just am not at all fussy. Other peoples mileage seems to vary.

What you would get on this ship and this itinerary is a very memorable honeymoon.

We did the 12 day Grand Med last April on the Spirit, and loved the cruise, the ship was great, meals were fine. We had a balcony, and would recommend it if you can, on such a long cruise. It is very port intensive, you will be tired when you return back to the ship in the evening. So pace yourself, do your home work for what you want to see at home, not at the last minute on the ship.

We enjoyed the ship and cruise so much, upon our return back home, we booked the 10 day Canary Island on the Spirit.

Thats our experience. Now you will read reviews from others who will give you a different opinion. ;)

While I haven't sailed on her, she is the favourite ship of many members here, I don't think that the ship will be the issue on such cruise. Also, I warmly recommend cruising to Venice while it is still possible via Grand Canal. :)

We did the exact Cruise last July/Aug. and we had a Fantastic time. The ship even tho a bit on old side, it is kept in amazing shape. The Crew from the Captain down to the cabin Stewards are the best in NCL and they have the records to prove it.

We had absolutely no issues with the MDR food, and I consider myself a "Foodie" ( retired Chef) one night not to pass on is the "Chef's Table". The service, food and of course the wine pairings for each course, 9 if memory is correct, were impeccable.

We had an Inside cabin for that cruise and ,jmho, a Balcony would be a waste of time and $ do to the fact that this cruise is very port intensive. When we came back from a day in port, we were just knackered and just wanted to get something to eat and relax with a cocktail or 2 or 3 or.....

Having said that, some would say a balcony is the perfect place to wind down after a busy day, and I really can't disagree with that:).

We had no trouble at all getting primo viewing areas to watch a sail in / out. But Venice is by far the best, simply beautiful. You will be happy with choosing the Spirit, clean, elegant in it's own way and just small enough to give you that big ship feel.

Best place to have breakfast if not on a Balcony, is the Aft area. There is a separate area to get your breakfast, eggs to order, omelet, etc. outside of the buffet area and not as busy.

If you plan on seeing any museums, Vatican Museum, Colosseum in Rome, etc. I highly recommend getting your tickets on-line, very easy, may be a euro or 2 more for the convenience, but when you see the lineup for tickets @ the Colosseum you'll be glad you did. After an hour we finished the tour and we recognized people still in line waiting to buy theirs.

If you don't have it yet, I recommend buying Rick Steve's book on Med. Port Guide. Full of very useful info for every port you'll visit, it was our Travel Bible. Never left our cabin without it.

Enjoy the Spirit, you will have a Wonderful time. Congratulations on your upcoming Wedding.

ps .... Venice is a very Romantic City, enjoy it during your overnight-er there.

cheers...the Ump...:D

1) Do you recommend getting a balcony? Is it worth it? and 2) I know everyone has their own preferences, but do you think we would regret the trip because of the ship? We could go on something like the Island or Emerald Princess with similar stops.

Whether a balcony is worth it or not is totally up to what kind of people you are. Some people don't feel a balcony is worth it unless you're spending all day outside on it. Myself, I love waking up and watching the ship pull into port. I'll also sit there and watch the ship pulling out. But I don't camp out on it all day/night and yet to me, I won't cruise in a cabin that doesn't have a balcony.

As for regretting the ship, I doubt it unless you absolutely have to have things like the rock climbing walls and the water slides and stuff that only the newer ships have. Like others have said, you'll be spending most of your time in the ports anyway.

My wife and I are looking into this trip, but on the 12-day, not the 14-day. We're looking at it as much for the ship as the ports.