Transfers from the airport to the ship in Venice

tyler6597

Does anyone know how often the transfers we bought from celebrity go from Marco Polo airport to the ship. We are on the Equinox on 9-7-14 and arriving at the airport around 9:15 am on 9-7-14. I saw something about a bus at 3 pm but there must be more buses than just at 3 pm. New to Celebrity and new to the Mediterranean so we are just accustomed to the ship transfers from us airports to the cruise terminals which leave at a regular basis.

There is a public coach (made for airport transfers) That goes from Marco polo airport to across the street from the people mover. I believe it cost about 6 euros(can't remember) Anyway from where it drops you off you cross the street to the people mover. Pay 1 euro and it takes you to right outside the port. From there it is maybe 500 yards or so to where you drop your luggage off, and check in. Definitely cheaper than the ships transfer and probably faster too, If you don't have any mobility issues and can pull your own luggage than I would use it. I believe you can buy tickets for it at the airport. Maybe at best about a 30-45 minute ride depending on the traffic.

We were in Venice/Marco Polo last May on the Silhouette and had a Celebrity transfer. There was a huge line of buses at the airport waiting for Celebrity passengers and buses were filling up fast and on their way to the ship rather quickly. I don't think there will be much of a wait for a bus or for one to fill, if that is your concern.

I would like to make an addition to the already excellent advice given by Bobocasey and that is http://www.actv.it and http://www.atvo.it are the 2 bus companies who do the airport to Venice centre runs. Its the No 15 for actv and it leaves every 15 minutes and the run is approx. 25 minutes (depending on traffic) into Piazzale Roma. It is impossible to get lost as the Piazzale Roma is the destination stop. They are modern, low step coaches and luggage is stored in the hold. Fare Euro6 pp. Tickets can be bought online so you don't have to go looking for machines, once you have retrieved your luggage. I don't know how much Celebrity are charging for the trip, but for 7 euros, you can be dockside. It is one of the easiest DIY journeys on the Med circuit.

There is a public coach (made for airport transfers) That goes from Marco polo airport to across the street from the people mover. I believe it cost about 6 euros(can't remember) Anyway from where it drops you off you cross the street to the people mover. Pay 1 euro and it takes you to right outside the port. From there it is maybe 500 yards or so to where you drop your luggage off, and check in. Definitely cheaper than the ships transfer and probably faster too, If you don't have any mobility issues and can pull your own luggage than I would use it. I believe you can buy tickets for it at the airport. Maybe at best about a 30-45 minute ride depending on the traffic.

We arrived a few days before Reflection arrived in Venice in Nov 2012, and didn't use a Celebrity transfer. We used an ATVO bus (http://www.atvo.it/?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35) from airport to Piazzale Roma, where the People Mover is located. In my opinion the People Mover is inadequate in that it drops you off in kind a no-mans land 500 to maybe 1000 yards from ship depending on the slip. When we got off the People Mover it was about 10 AM and raining. It was miserable dragging (rolling) our bags to the ship in rain. I heard that later buses were in use to take people from People Mover to the ship, but as I recall there was no where to stay out of the rain.

I would suggest you arrive in Venice and spend 2 or 3 nights there before your ship arrives.

We routinely deal with this type of question (in much detail) on the Ports of Calls/Europe/Med/Italy board. But suffice it so day that if you want a direct convenient transfer from the airport to the port, the best way is usually just taking a land taxi. The cost does vary but is usually about 40 Euros (total cost). While others are waiting for their cruise line transfer (which usually costs more then 20 Euros per person) others simply hop in their taxi and are off to the port. There are other less costly options (like the ATVO bus to People Mover option) but none are more convenient of faster then a good ole fashioned taxi.

Hank

We routinely deal with this type of question (in much detail) on the Ports of Calls/Europe/Med/Italy board. But suffice it so day that if you want a direct convenient transfer from the airport to the port, the best way is usually just taking a land taxi. The cost does vary but is usually about 40 Euros (total cost). While others are waiting for their cruise line transfer (which usually costs more then 20 Euros per person) others simply hop in their taxi and are off to the port. There are other less costly options (like the ATVO bus to People Mover option) but none are more convenient of faster then a good ole fashioned taxi.

Hank

For 40 Euros I would agree with you. I'm a bit surprised, however, as I always stay in a Mestre hotel near the foot of the causeway to Piazalle Roma and that's a 30-35 Euro fare to Marco Polo. The hotel is roughly half way between the port and the airport, and it cost me about 30 Euros to get to the ship, the one time I did it. So 40 would be a really good deal which I would leap at. Buses are a pain, especially when there's the excitement and anticipation of a cruise in the offing