Best company to see Misty Fjords with?

azmaui

Hi,

We are looking at booking Misty Fjords in Ketchikan with either SeaWind Aviation or Island Wings. Both have excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and offer similar experience for similar price.

I would appreciate any feedback to help me make a decision!

Thanks a lot :-)

Hi,

We are looking at booking Misty Fjords in Ketchikan with either SeaWind Aviation or Island Wings. Both have excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and offer similar experience for similar price.

I would appreciate any feedback to help me make a decision!

Thanks a lot :-)

I've gone with Island Wings and can highly recommend them. Michelle is an excellent pilot and give excellent tours.

We took a tour with Michelle of Island Wings several years ago and are using her again in June. She did a great job; but that doesn't mean that Seawind isn't just as good. Hopefully someone who has used them or both can provide their experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked with Family Air in June. The reviews on Trip Advisor are good and we liked that it would just be the 4 of us in the plane.

Would love to hear comments and opinions from anyone that has flown with Family Air.

This is something we are considering for Ketchikan as well. I have a few questions:

Are most of the companies similar as far as what you see or do?

Is it usually just a flightseeing excursion or do you land and get out of the plane?

Is it difficult to get good pictures from the plane?

THE criteria for me is how much time is spent out of the plane, in the wilderness. If Island Wings is ever booked up when I want to fly with them, I'll have to find someone else who does that good a job. All the other planes we saw during the half-hour we were on the little island did not let their people out of the plane except onto the floats for a couple of minutes.

Edited by huskyguy

THE criteria for me is how much time is spent out of the plane, in the wilderness. If Island Wings is ever booked up when I want to fly with them, I'll have to find someone else who does that good a job. All the other planes we saw during the half-hour we were on the little island did not let their people out of the plane except onto the floats for a couple of minutes.

I agree with you, while I'm sure the views from the plane are amazing, I think I'll get better pictures out of the plane. Is the island you were on, right in the misty fjord?

I agree with you, while I'm sure the views from the plane are amazing, I think I'll get better pictures out of the plane. Is the island you were on, right in the misty fjord?

Better - it's a tiny chunk of granite (an acre perhaps) on a alpine lake in a side valley.

Photography from the plane is very good, though - and I take my photography very serious.

Edited by huskyguy

Better - it's a tiny chunk of granite (an acre perhaps) on a alpine lake in a side valley.

Photography from the plane is very good, though - and I take my photography very serious.

She does not alway fly there, I have seen her landing at the float dock.

There are now permit fees involved and restrictions on numbers, that may impact who lands and who doesn't?

None of the ship excursions allow you off the plane, you can stand on the pontoons. There are other vendors who do land and allow you OUT of the plane. You will need to inquire when gathering information what bookings are available for you.

You have flown here once? (I thought you were a repeater?) There are several vendors who do land and allow people out of the planes.

Ship tours, do not, which may have been who you saw- Taquan and Pro Mech are contracted vendors.

Edited by Budget Queen

We flew with Michelle too, but she didn't land in the same place she normally does when we went. My son was in a cast and on crutches, so she landed in an inlet/cove so he would be able to get out and "walk" around on the land. We still got to see the granite cliffs that made up a "wall" of the inlet. It was absolutely fantastic! And you are right about the photography from the plane - wonderful!

Good to know! I'll definitely have to inquire about where we'll be landing when I start researching. Thanks!