Dynamic Dining

I had to get an updated invoice from RC today for my Serenade cruise in 2016 and on the invoice was this information about Dynamic Dining. Does anybody have any clue what this is? My guess is, this is what they're going to be calling My Time Dining from now on. Curious to see what others think (or know)

Again, this confirmation was for a Serenade cruise and not Quantum or Anthem.

photo2_zps55bd27c7.jpg

Hopefully this is a new name for My Time Dining and still just an option.

It does not sound like it based on the description. Looks like no more MDR in any shape or form. It will be interesting to see how many are pay vs how many free options.

I think that this may cause people with food allergies some issues as they will not have the comfort and security in knowing that hey have 1 contact in the MDR to ensure that heir requirements are met.

I posted this last night in another thread based upon seeing the deck plans of Anthem which were briefly posted and then removed.

"Here's my wild guesses. I suspect that there are 4 dining rooms; one always formal. There will be a form of rotational dining amongst the first three dining rooms with an optional evening in the formal dining room.

Those who wish to may elect to dine formally in that room every evening for a nominal upcharge fee; after all if RCI is going to call the room formal and think they will placate cruisers who have been around for over 10 years; and many of those that vividly remember the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they will have to step it up big time from where they are now and do things like white glove service, wrapped lemons, sorbet between courses to clear the taste; like they used to do. If someone wants to dine all 7 days in the formal dining room, perhaps there is a charge of $100. Maybe they give everyone one free but optional night in the formal dining and charge say $15 per person for each other time they want to dine there; in between the a la carte specialty dining and the full bore specialty dining.

I think Chic will be where there is more modern food, perhaps more unique vegetable and protein selections; slightly healthier in that it is not banquet style wedding food covered in creams and sauces and butter (those will be in the formal dining room)

American Icon Grill...please, I'm not trying to offend anyone with my following statement, just telling it like I see it, since they market it as American comfort food I'd expect burgers, steaks, mac and cheese, onion rings, lots of middle American food. This is the room that is going to wean newbies into cruising or placate Carnival cruisers. I have never had a bad meal on Royal and I think sometimes the food gets bad reviews because there are things just plain outside someones comfort zone and they equate "I don't like this" with "the food sucks compared to Carnival". I'm not saying the food is low quality or anything on carnival like that, it's just "safe" a good amount of it. Count on corn on the cob, ribs, pulled pork and other staples here too.

And then you have Silk; Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian. Indian is always a big hit in the Windjammer; people often make and receive special requests in the MDR for special curries or dishes, almost always universally excellent prepared by the many Indian chefs and kitchen staff on board. Even the LEAST adventurous person may find something here that feels a bit familiar, and those that love aromatics, spice, and like to eat meat (anyone ever go to Korean BBQ? No? You are missing out). Also great for those that love vegetable dishes.

How I envision it works is a set menu for each dining room. Instead of 15 different possible menus to choose from now Royal has 4. This has to be a major cost saver (after tweaking for proper ordering I guess). Eliminating many permutations. Simplifying things.

On a 7 day cruise by default you'd get Chic, American Grill, Silk, Insert Formal dining (can option out back into any one of the other three MDR's), repeat again. One set of PAX starts at Chic, one at American Grill, etc., and everyone rotates all week. Some PAX may have formal dining night 2, some night 6; depends on the "schedule" you are one.

I do believe that RCI can monetize giving out more than one formal night. And for those that strongly want to cruise that way the majority of the time, I say that it is great that RCI now offers you the option to do so. Those that do not mind up charges for things they use and prefer a lower base cruise fare to reflect options they may not use should appreciate this as well. After all, if kids must now pay $10 for their character dining in the morning adults should have to pay $15 for their character dining in the evening. :D Sorry. That was mean. But I had to. This stuff writes itself sometimes. "

I posted this last night in another thread based upon seeing the deck plans of Anthem which were briefly posted and then removed.

"Here's my wild guesses. I suspect that there are 4 dining rooms; one always formal. There will be a form of rotational dining amongst the first three dining rooms with an optional evening in the formal dining room.

Those who wish to may elect to dine formally in that room every evening for a nominal upcharge fee; after all if RCI is going to call the room formal and think they will placate cruisers who have been around for over 10 years; and many of those that vividly remember the 70's, 80's, and 90's, they will have to step it up big time from where they are now and do things like white glove service, wrapped lemons, sorbet between courses to clear the taste; like they used to do. If someone wants to dine all 7 days in the formal dining room, perhaps there is a charge of $100. Maybe they give everyone one free but optional night in the formal dining and charge say $15 per person for each other time they want to dine there; in between the a la carte specialty dining and the full bore specialty dining.

I think Chic will be where there is more modern food, perhaps more unique vegetable and protein selections; slightly healthier in that it is not banquet style wedding food covered in creams and sauces and butter (those will be in the formal dining room)

American Icon Grill...please, I'm not trying to offend anyone with my following statement, just telling it like I see it, since they market it as American comfort food I'd expect burgers, steaks, mac and cheese, onion rings, lots of middle American food. This is the room that is going to wean newbies into cruising or placate Carnival cruisers. I have never had a bad meal on Royal and I think sometimes the food gets bad reviews because there are things just plain outside someones comfort zone and they equate "I don't like this" with "the food sucks compared to Carnival". I'm not saying the food is low quality or anything on carnival like that, it's just "safe" a good amount of it. Count on corn on the cob, ribs, pulled pork and other staples here too.

And then you have Silk; Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian. Indian is always a big hit in the Windjammer; people often make and receive special requests in the MDR for special curries or dishes, almost always universally excellent prepared by the many Indian chefs and kitchen staff on board. Even the LEAST adventurous person may find something here that feels a bit familiar, and those that love aromatics, spice, and like to eat meat (anyone ever go to Korean BBQ? No? You are missing out). Also great for those that love vegetable dishes.

How I envision it works is a set menu for each dining room. Instead of 15 different possible menus to choose from now Royal has 4. This has to be a major cost saver (after tweaking for proper ordering I guess). Eliminating many permutations. Simplifying things.

On a 7 day cruise by default you'd get Chic, American Grill, Silk, Insert Formal dining (can option out back into any one of the other three MDR's), repeat again. One set of PAX starts at Chic, one at American Grill, etc., and everyone rotates all week. Some PAX may have formal dining night 2, some night 6; depends on the "schedule" you are one.

I do believe that RCI can monetize giving out more than one formal night. And for those that strongly want to cruise that way the majority of the time, I say that it is great that RCI now offers you the option to do so. Those that do not mind up charges for things they use and prefer a lower base cruise fare to reflect options they may not use should appreciate this as well. After all, if kids must now pay $10 for their character dining in the morning adults should have to pay $15 for their character dining in the evening. :D Sorry. That was mean. But I had to. This stuff writes itself sometimes. "

In the description of Dynamic dining it states , no set times, no assigned seats no required formal night.

It sound like there will not be a rotation system but you can choose where and when. For those that love their tuxes they could do formal every night.

In the description of Dynamic dining it states , no set times, no assigned seats no required formal night.

It sound like there will not be a rotation system but you can choose where and when. For those that love their tuxes they could do formal every night.

That was information I had not seen yesterday. I do have to imagine that the 4 choices are complimentary. They seem far too large on the deck plans to be pay for venues.

As different as it all sounds it could be interesting, as long as they don't assign too many of the alternative restaurants as surcharge venues - that would ruin it IMO. But I have to admit, I do want to try Quantum / Allure at least once to sea what its all about.

I think my only concern with the formal night is whether that means they'll get rid of the 2 formal gala nights on for instance a 7 nighter. I assume they'll keep these as it is a staple of a cruise, which in many ways will inform the choice of what people wear for dinner. And I assume there will still be the standard dress code in place whatever the case.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I think my only concern with the formal night is whether that means they'll get rid of the 2 formal gala nights on for instance a 7 nighter. I assume they'll keep these as it is a staple of a cruise, which in many ways will inform the choice of what people wear for dinner. And I assume there will still be the standard dress code in place whatever the case.

The 2 gala formal nights are being killed, it's as clear as day.

ONE of the FOUR dining rooms on Quantum/Anthem is going to be dedicated to old-style cruising, old-world dishes with creams and sauces, higher end service, and formal dress required for entrance. Go once, twice, or every night if you wish.

The other three dining rooms will, I believe, be going to a casual dress policy and I would not be the least bit surprised if shorts are ON the menu. Quantum and Anthem are revolutionary for RCI. They are floating amusement parks. There is no Viking Crown Lounge. There is now 24 hours food and breakfast any time you want. RCI is NOT interested in these ships pretending to have cruise staples. They will be modern, revolutionary in many ways, and make newcomers like the NCL twins look like old ships.

That was information I had not seen yesterday. I do have to imagine that the 4 choices are complimentary. They seem far too large on the deck plans to be pay for venues.

That's what I figured. I agree that at least the 4 as well as WJ will be free as well as some of the other smaller venues I.e. Sorrentos.

I hope that there will be some different menus in each of the 4 restaurants that rotate on a daily basis as they currently do. For those that may not enjoy the formal restaurant and say Silk that would leave 2 restaurants and if they were to keep the same menu every day it would get old in a hurry.

I am so sorry to think that they are doing away with traditional dining. I love meeting new people and sharing our days activities and hearing about theirs at dinner every night. We did MTD once and hated it because we usually were given a table for 2, which is just like at home! We met no one!

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's what I figured. I agree that at least the 4 as well as WJ will be free as well as some of the other smaller venues I.e. Sorrentos.

I hope that there will be some different menus in each of the 4 restaurants that rotate on a daily basis as they currently do. For those that may not enjoy the formal restaurant and say Silk that would leave 2 restaurants and if they were to keep the same menu every day it would get old in a hurry.

I believe it will be a fixed menu per restaurant. Right now Royal has 15 different MDR menus and while not every sailing is stocked to serve every dish on all 15 menus, reducing the permutations of menus reduces cost, reduces waste, and simplifies ordering for RCI.

They may have an A menu and B menu for each of the main restaurants if a cruise is more than 7 days or more than 9 days, etc.

I wonder if the Windjammer is going to get some table service as well for dinner hours. I've always thought it would be a good idea to have the non-protein choices on the buffet but table service for a protein such as chicken, fish, or beef. This would bring the feel of WJ up for dinner time as well, but still offer lots of buffet choices, but less wasted meats (which are the highest cost items)

The 2 gala formal nights are being killed, it's as clear as day.

ONE of the FOUR dining rooms on Quantum/Anthem is going to be dedicated to old-style cruising, old-world dishes with creams and sauces, higher end service, and formal dress required for entrance. Go once, twice, or every night if you wish.

There is no Viking Crown Lounge.

Agree with your thoughts about the formal nights.

I'm interpreting the "Two 70" lounge to be the "replacement" to the VCL. Too bad as - while the Two 70 looks like it will be very impressive and nice - the VCL has been the "signature feature" and, IMO, brand identity of every RCI ship I can think of since its inception as a cruise line. That is now lost on Quantum / Anthem. Hypothetically any cruise line can build a ship with any of these features - but only RCI has the VCL. Just my opinion....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

As different as it all sounds it could be interesting, as long as they don't assign too many of the alternative restaurants as surcharge venues - that would ruin it IMO. But I have to admit, I do want to try Quantum / Allure at least once to sea what its all about.

It's definately on my list as well. Now if only they would release the itineraries then I could book one of them.

As much as I initially said I would not sail out of NJ in the winter we are now actually considering it. 8 hour drive as opposed to 25.

Just looking forward and wondering if this dining concept will be rolled put on Oasis 3. Going beyond that would this be something (based on feedback from Quantum and Anthem) that RCI could roll out to all of their ships.

All of the ships with the exception of Jewel will have completed their revitalization in the near future. This last round brought a bunch of the Oasis class features to them so would the next round bring the Best of the Quantum class features to the ships?

I believe it will be a fixed menu per restaurant. Right now Royal has 15 different MDR menus and while not every sailing is stocked to serve every dish on all 15 menus, reducing the permutations of menus reduces cost, reduces waste, and simplifies ordering for RCI.

They may have an A menu and B menu for each of the main restaurants if a cruise is more than 7 days or more than 9 days, etc.

I wonder if the Windjammer is going to get some table service as well for dinner hours. I've always thought it would be a good idea to have the non-protein choices on the buffet but table service for a protein such as chicken, fish, or beef. This would bring the feel of WJ up for dinner time as well, but still offer lots of buffet choices, but less wasted meats (which are the highest cost items)

I can definately see the point about reducing the number of menus and why there is no way you would have 7 daily menus for all the restaurants. It would be nice if there was one set menu with perhaps a daily selection that offered 2 or 3 choices that varied daily.

I am so sorry to think that they are doing away with traditional dining. I love meeting new people and sharing our days activities and hearing about theirs at dinner every night. We did MTD once and hated it because we usually were given a table for 2, which is just like at home! We met no one!

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Shirley, My sentiments exactly! I'm really hoping they don't do away with traditional dining across the entire fleet!

This makes for very interesting reading - and is obviously the big Quantum 'reveal' to which top cruisers have been invited.

I like the sound of some of the concepts but wonder if there will be an obligation to eat in each of them as part of a cruise. I wouldn't choose to eat American comfort food in a restaurant and wouldn't want to have to eat it as part of my dining experience on a cruise. :(

Interesting that they already have plans in place to roll it out on other ships, i.e. Serenade - I wonder whether all ships will eventually get this. Surely it would mean a major overhaul of the current dining areas, unless they just have one concept on each floor

Edited by Bobal

This makes for very interesting reading - and is obviously the big Quantum 'reveal' to which top cruisers have been invited.

I like the sound of some of the concepts but wonder if there will be an obligation to eat in each of them as part of a cruise. I wouldn't choose to eat American comfort food in a restaurant and wouldn't want to have to eat it as part of my dining experience on a cruise. :(

Interesting that they already have plans in place to roll it out on other ships, i.e. Serenade - I wonder whether all ships will eventually get this. Surely it would mean a major overhaul of the current dining areas, unless they just have one concept on each floor

1. I think the reveal will be more about the food than the dining concepts. Since higher tier cruisers were invited they may revolt at the idea. Many, obviously, don't even care for My Time Dining.

2. No requirements to eat at any one venue or another. Pick and choose what suits your taste

3. This is not on the Serenade. It is just a disclaimer at the bottom of OP's Serenade booking regarding Quantum and Anthem.

4. This would be a difficult concept to roll out to other ships; it is a whole new design and concept, not simply a differently decorated area with slightly different menus. You could not bi-sect a dining room enough on a Vision or Radiance class ship to make this work, I don't think.

I am so sorry to think that they are doing away with traditional dining. I love meeting new people and sharing our days activities and hearing about theirs at dinner every night.

We agree with you so it's doubtful we'll be on the Quantam - but then again we're more of the type who feel like Freedom OTS is as big as we'd like. We just don't/won't use the amenities aboard a larger ship (which one does pay for with steeper fares) :)

Hopefully, there'll still be "something for everyone" on RCCL ships.

We were invited to NY tomorrow for the "Reveal" - apparently quite a number of people were - but are not going. Also received an invite for the "Google Hangout" out on Thursday, both of which are all about the new dining. Who knows how far impacting it could be - anything fleet wide would probably take a while to figure out. The alternative dining venues are limited on many ships, but you never know.

Honestly I think it is interesting and want to learn what the details are - but really kind of over hyped. More importantly I am waiting for the Quantum (in particular) schedules for post April '15 to be released. This has been announced as being this week - most certainly not until after tomorrow.

Just have to wait....

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Shirley, Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app[/quote

I agree with you. I love meeting new people at dinner and chatting.

I had to get an updated invoice from RC today for my Serenade cruise in 2016 and on the invoice was this information about Dynamic Dining. Does anybody have any clue what this is? My guess is, this is what they're going to be calling My Time Dining from now on. Curious to see what others think (or know)

photo2_zps55bd27c7.jpg

I "picked up" on the point you were making....your "reservation" is on the SERENADE OTS... not Quantum or Anthem... yet the note says "THIS RESERVATION" has been selected.... WTH? :eek: Time will tell what it means, I guess. :)

photo2_zps55bd27c7.jpg

I made a reservation on Serenade, for April 2016, yesterday and I have reserved, Traditional dining, at 8PM. My invoice does not refer to Dynamic Dining at all. Maybe you got this info because you selected MTD.

And, as always, it is probably one of their computer system glitches.

I made a reservation on Serenade, for April 2016, yesterday and I have reserved, Traditional dining, at 8PM. My invoice does not refer to Dynamic Dining at all. Maybe you got this info because you selected MTD.

And, as always, it is probably one of their computer system glitches.

Well that answers the question of what is Jane's next cruise (after New England) going to be. It will be a great cruise with you on it. Enjoy. :)