Recommendations for excursions?

Summerl30

We are planning a two week trip, the first of which is a lot of flying, and taking the train. The second is the cruise. The thought of doing anything with a lot of sitting is making us cringe. What recommendations do you have for us?

We like hiking and touring cities. Seeing wildlife sounds interesting, but we don't want to be sitting on a small boat (can you walk around them?).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are planning a two week trip, the first of which is a lot of flying, and taking the train. The second is the cruise. The thought of doing anything with a lot of sitting is making us cringe. What recommendations do you have for us?

We like hiking and touring cities. Seeing wildlife sounds interesting, but we don't want to be sitting on a small boat (can you walk around them?).

Are you renting a car? Is the only option if you don't want to be trapped for long distances. Plus the ability to see and do much more. Especially with your hiking priorities, a car rental is a must. You don't mention any?

Where are you going.

Sorry you have the wrong idea about wildlife boat tours. They are the only way to see marine wildlife up close. There are a wide range of boats to choose from, choose larger boats. IF referring to boat tours out of Whittier or Seward, these are larger boats with plenty of space to walk around.

Edited by Budget Queen

We are on the ms. Volendam end of May. First time to Alaska, first time on holland america. We are mid thirties.

Never thought of renting a car. That may be something to consider. Thank you.

That white way pass train looks like fun, but I was wondering if we had space to walk around on it, or if you are supposed to be in your seat for most of the trip. Whale watching looks interesting, but again, my question is are there big boats or just the little ones I see in pictures? The helicopter/ plane rides look fun, but how much time is spent in the air vs walking around on glaciers.

We are Canadian and would love to go to the Yukon to take some pictures for the kids as my daughter studied it last year.

Ports? Juneau, glacier bay, Skagway, Ketchikan.

We are on the ms. Volendam end of May. First time to Alaska, first time on holland america. We are mid thirties.

That white way pass train looks like fun, but I was wondering if we had space to walk around on it, or if you are supposed to be in your seat for most of the trip. Whale watching looks interesting, but again, my question is are there big boats or just the little ones I see in pictures? The helicopter/ plane rides look fun, but how much time is spent in the air vs walking around on glaciers.

We are Canadian and would love to go to the Yukon to take some pictures for the kids as my daughter studied it last year.

There is space on the White Pass RR to walk around, including going out on the vestibule. If interested in history it is a great tour.

The largest whale watch boats are will the ship contractor Allen Marine. A midsize boat I recommend, which holds about 25 passengers is with Orca Enterprises.

With independent booked helicopter regular glacier landing flights, you get, usually 30-45 minutes on the glacier. Ship contracted helicopter flights may be more tightly timed.

I would do the mining tour in Juneau. The only sitting is on the bus getting to the mine but once there you are doing stuff. A really cool excursion!

In Skagway I did the dog mushing (on land). That was a lot of fun as well. You obviously will be sitting when the dogs are mushing but it's fun because you're bumping up and down in the dog sled!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we'll wave to you from the Norwegian Pearl ;)

we're doing the Ketchikan Duck tour.

Juneau, the Mendenhall Glacier and gold panning tour.

Skagway, the White Pass Railroad. I did this before, and we walked all over the place. I stood outside quite a while even watching the scenery go by :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've rented a car in Skagway but I keep reading about how foggy it is there and how hard it is to drive. Maybe we should suck it up and take the train?

Where did you read that?! We had no fog at all, and it is a very easy drive.

I would take the train, if you rent a car you won't see any of the sites that you see on the train. And Skagway is small you can walk to it from the ship and see all of the sites in town which is only about six blocks by six blocks. Just my opinion but I think you would miss a lot with a car.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app