Kids sail free on Carnival!

Saltz

The Kids Free sale worked out to my advantage. I just switched with a representative over the phone and saved $248 (was originally $288 but I wanted to keep my same cabin location and it was a bit more to remain midship) Works for me! *happy dance*

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

here is the disclaimer on the free kids sale. looks like it only applies to the fun select rates which surprise surprise are much higher. lol

Disclaimer

3rd/4th/5th guests are free combinable with Carnival’s Fun Select rates only. $50 per person non-refundable deposit is applicable to sailings outside of final payment due date. Final payment due date is only 30 days prior to sailing for cruises between May 1, 2014 and August 28, 2014. Changes made to the reservation may result in the assessment of cancellation penalties or service fees. Offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other discount or promotional offer. Offer is for the cruise fare only and does not include Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses. Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses range from $42.38 to $324.27, and are assessed on a per guest basis for all guests according to the itinerary. Guest may select the stateroom, but a minimum purchase of category 4A is required. Offer is applicable on new bookings made between March 26, 2014 and March 28, 2014 EST on select cruises that depart between May 1, 2014 and August 28, 2014.

Edited by morganboys

We're currently booked early saver' date=' for our Aug 16 cruise. For us, the price drop is $57 (total, not pp). If we take advantage of this, would we then be "locked" into the kids sail free promotion, and not eligible for a lower price if it comes out?

I think I might be willing to risk $57 in case there are any cheap pack and go sales.[/quote']

It is my understanding and experience that once you book early saver you can continue to obtain lower rates if they drop regardless of the new promotion. You are not locked into one change. You can lose things like on board credits and reduced deposits if you change promotion types.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As someone who frequently checks prices on Carnival, NCL, and RCI, I can tell you that all three engage in the same practice. You cannot do apples to apples comparisons of promotional fares.

For example, if NCL comes out with a free dining offer, the cruise rate generally goes up from whatever the previous promotional rate (with no free dining) had been.

The big thing here is Carnival is running multiple promotions on the same cruise. It's is not deceptive advertising if the KSF rate with the non-promotional 1st and 2nd rate is more expensive than a fare that discounts all passengers. it just is what it is.

Compare all the promotional rates, choose the one that is the best deal for you, and enjoy your vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

ONEWILDRICE - the difference between what you thought you'd get back, and what you actually got back, may be due to an increase in taxes. That happened to me when I got a price drop earlier this month.

I'm glad it's working out for so many people. I must have a good rate already because for me, the Kids Sail Free promotion is not a bargain. I currently have 2 rooms with 3 people each, booked on the Summer Sale with OBC... I have tried a mock booking with the Kids Sail Free several ways, including booking 4 in a room at the Kids Free rate and the other 2 at the Summer Sail rate, and it still isn't a better deal for me. I guess it really depends on when you booked and what sale you got.

Good luck and I hope everyone gets a rate they are happy with.

ONEWILDRICE - the difference between what you thought you'd get back, and what you actually got back, may be due to an increase in taxes. That happened to me when I got a price drop earlier this month.

I went and checked the taxes, they are the same...?? Oh, well, no matter, I will take what I can get and keep a look out for any other offers I can take advantage of for this trip! Just ready for July to get here already!!

• 3 weeks later...

So I had a cruise booked for Aug 28th on the Victory with the Early Saver promotion. We have 4 people in a suite.

The Early Saver total w/ gratuity was: $2371.16

The new promotion total w/ gratuity is: $2093.16

I called and they willingly switched the rate to the new promotion. But, they can't refund the difference (since the booking is already paid for). They can only add the difference as an onboard credit which is fine with me.

The only refund they could give was my pre-paid gratuity of $184. So that will come back to my credit card, and on the ship I can use the onboard credit to re-pay the gratuity.

Anyways, thought I'd clear up some confusion and share my experience.

Edited by demise14

Kids Sail Free is not what it appears to be FREE. I was booking cruise for 4 using Carnival's Kids Sail Free category and noticed they raised the rates on the 1st two passengers up $350 to make up for the kids sail free promotion, in reality this saved $29 on each kid. Kids Sail Free promotion is attached to Fun Select rates and a 8C category balcony was $1029 for the 1st two using Fun Select rates. If you go in and book the same 8C category for two people the fare is $679 each. Do the math!!! Kids in reality do not sail free!!!!

Kids Sail Free is not what it appears to be FREE. I was booking cruise for 4 using Carnival's Kids Sail Free category and noticed they raised the rates on the 1st two passengers up $350 to make up for the kids sail free promotion, in reality this saved $29 on each kid. Kids Sail Free promotion is attached to Fun Select rates and a 8C category balcony was $1029 for the 1st two using Fun Select rates. If you go in and book the same 8C category for two people the fare is $679 each. Do the math!!! Kids in reality do not sail free!!!!

it was explained a multitude of times on this thread. Did you read the thread at all?

Total ripoff no matter how some of you try to spin it. A true kids sail free would allow me to book for me and my wife now, then in a month or 2 my kids decide to go, I call Carnival and let them know I have children who now are able to go. Should be as simple as giving them the identification of those added.

it is that simple unless you already purchased a specific sale price. if you already purchased a specific sale price they can probably switch you to the kids sail free promotion but you wont get the original sale price because you cant double dip

think of it as a sale that can not be combined with any other sale. its like getting a coupon for 20% off an item but cant be combined with another sale. you go there and see an item that is 1/2 off... you try to use the coupon but they will say NO. you cant get 20% off an item that is already 1/2 off.

its the same thing

Edited by hftmrock

Total ripoff no matter how some of you try to spin it. A true kids sail free would allow me to book for me and my wife now, then in a month or 2 my kids decide to go, I call Carnival and let them know I have children who now are able to go. Should be as simple as giving them the identification of those added.

If the sale is still going in a month or two and you want to add your kids then you can so long as you book under the right fare code.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I just read for correct pricing, call Carnival because they're having issues with their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are not 'having issues with their website' if you buy that, they're just delaying time until the promotion ends and they don't have to answer why they have such a ridiculous 'promo' that literally insults our intelligence.

Basically you can purchase a 'kids sail free' for 4 people squeezed in to ONE room, for the same price you can book a cruise for 4 people in 2 rooms.. This is the most ridiculous 'promo' -- and basically Carnival's marketing team has literally insulted the public by advertising it to you to buy in to. Put the kids in their own room and go for the same price. "Kids Go Free, but we charge you Double" Brilliant.

Basically you can purchase a 'kids sail free' for 4 people squeezed in to ONE room, for the same price you can book a cruise for 4 people in 2 rooms.. This is the most ridiculous 'promo' -- and basically Carnival's marketing team has literally insulted the public by advertising it to you to buy in to. Put the kids in their own room and go for the same price. "Kids Go Free, but we charge you Double" Brilliant.

Exactly!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Just a caveat: be careful of doing any Carnival "kids sail free" promo -- esp if one might have to cancel.

I booked this fare for my family, a few months ago for a 4 day cruise.. Hubby and I was $784/pp and kids 3 - 5 sailed free. It was little less expensive than other fares we could have booked, and carnival has a pretty good cancellation policy if someone needs to cancel later, so i thought.

Found out tonight that one of my kids cant go, and according to the contract, we should be able to get 50 of fare back since it is 30 prior to sailing.

But because kids sail free and therefore didn't pay anything, we dont get anything back (except for taxes and fees).

I then asked the carnival phone rep if hyypothetically, hubby or I had to cancel, would we get half of the $784 back, and phone rep said "no" because one of the kids would then move up to being the second person.

So it sound like when someone books a "kids sail free" fare, no one gets a refund at all unless it is before the penalty phase. The only way it would work is if everyone had to cancel because we would only be out $784.

I have never booked any type of "3rd or 4th person sail free" before , and based on carnival's cancellation policy . . . I now don't think this is a good fare to book . .unless this fare is WAY less expensive than the other fares offered, just because of not being able to get any refund for anyone in the cabin (again, the only way it would help is if everyone cancelled).

Much better for each passenger to pay their own fare so that some refund is possible if a cancellation of just one or two people occurs.

happy ending to my story . . .

I looked on carnival website last night (trying to see if there was something else we could do since we couldn't get any refund for my daughter's cancellation since we booked under the "3,4,5th person sail free " promotion) and discovered that rates for 2 ppl cabins have come down since it is less than 1 month to sailing time, and if I were to book the cruise today, we could get an ocean view "2 person" cabin AND an interior "2 person" cabin for less money than we paid 3 months ago for all five of us in just one interior cabin.

Didn't know if Carnival would go for it, but I called my online TA this morning and explained the lower pricing and asked him to call carnival to see if we could take advantage of that ( maybe now that daughter was cancelled, the now higher average per person -- eg total paid for cabin divided by 4 people instead of 5 -- would allow us to upgrade instead).

After spending 2.5 hours on the phone this weekend -- eg. finding out yesterday that we wouldn't get any part of our costs back and then calling today to see if we could do an upgrade instead -- the online TA that I got on the phone today, and the carnival rep he spoke to, was able to make it happen.

We are now in two cabins -- one oceanview and one interior-- just across the hallway from each other.

This is my first time using a TA (usually I book on my own) . . . not sure I'd use a TA again because it just takes more time using an intermediary and I am cruise savvy enough on my own . . . but we got some OBC using the TA so that's why I thought I'd try using one for the first time.

AND I found out that it really makes a difference who your rep is on the phone (both on my TA's side and Carnival's side). Because some reps will go to bat for you and some won't. The gentleman who helped me today spent 1.5 hours helping me and I really appreciated him . . .and if I used a TA again, I would ask for him.