Guaranteed Assignment

Cosmic Rays

I don't understand why Cunard didn't make the staterooms blocked by lifeboats into large windowed obstructed ocean views.

I guess they make more money out of having them as balconies, even if they are obstructed.

The "big orange things" do not block the sky. So relaxing on the balcony in fresh air ist still possible.

Here is a photo I took on a QM2 Deck 8 unobstructed view balcony, Britannia category, starboard side, several months ago.

The photo was taken while I was seated on the balcony, looking directly ahead. Naturally, the glass balcony reflected what was behind the focus, as well as the davits in full front view. The strange effects are a result of the salt and rust drippings down the glass front of the balcony, which I thought makes for some interesting effects. (Click to enlarge thumbnail)

I took photos from other angles while on the balcony, which show the view from that particular starboard balcony, should there be any further interest.

157533723_QM2-Deck8mid-shipsunobscruedbalconyCabin.jpg.a0919420655d06c88393211c6a173f9a.jpg

Edited by Salacia

Here is a photo I took on a QM2 Deck 8 unobstructed view balcony, Britannia category, starboard side, several months ago.

The photo was taken while I was seated on the balcony, looking directly ahead. Naturally, the glass balcony reflected what was behind the focus, as well as the davits in full front view. The strange effects are a result of the salt and rust drippings down the glass front of the balcony, which I thought makes for some interesting effects. (Click to enlarge thumbnail)

I took photos from other angles while on the balcony, which show the view from that particular starboard balcony, should there be any further interest.

That is a good picture to illustrate the "unobstructed" (as they call it) view you had. It is an interesting effect with the salt/rust as well as the slight reflection of you taking the picture. Did you find that it was a big hindrance to your view of the ocean? I don't think I would mind having that view versus the orange tenders view.

That is a good picture to illustrate the "unobstructed" (as they call it) view you had. It is an interesting effect with the salt/rust as well as the slight reflection of you taking the picture. Did you find that it was a big hindrance to your view of the ocean? I don't think I would mind having that view versus the orange tenders view.

Thank you, but actually, I think the reflection shown is that of my husband, not me. I was sitting in the center of the balcony, he was slightly to my left as I looked straight ahead and took the photo.

Yes, I did find my view of the ocean obscured because the davits were in the foreground while seated, and while standing, the view was even more lacking in my opinion.

And yes, I agree with you that the balcony view is better than the obstructed view of the Big Oranges (although I should say I've never booked an obscured view balcony, so I have no personal experience of those cabins). All I am trying to do is make fellow passengers aware of the "unobstructed view" from midships balconies on Deck 8, which as of May 10 2014 are category BC. If passengers like the view, great! Book one of those cabins, or book any BC category Guarantee or below and hope for an "upgrade" - just don't complain later.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

I can't tell where the horizon is in your photo. Your point of view is lower than in pepperrn's photos since you're looking through the glass and those are over the rail but I'm not sure whether you're looking out or down.

All I am trying to do is make fellow passengers aware of the "unobstructed view" from midships balconies on Deck 8, which as of May 10 2014 are category BC. If passengers like the view, great! Book one of those cabins, or book any BC category Guarantee or below and hope for an "upgrade" - just don't complain later.

Cheers,

Salacia

I think it great you have given everyone a bit more of the cabin selection puzzle through your description and picture..... thank you!

I can't tell where the horizon is in your photo. Your point of view is lower than in pepperrn's photos since you're looking through the glass and those are over the rail but I'm not sure whether you're looking out or down.

Then I can't help you because twice previously I've stated that I was seated and looking straight ahead while taking the photo. The reflection in the glass of the person seated on the balcony should give you a reference point. No sense in my posting additional photos of the same subject because I can't make it any clearer - plus I'm loosing all interest in the topic as I'm sure many others are too :D

We are sailing on QM2 on 10th April and got our cabin number on 28th March. We did not get what I would consider an upgrade, even though we have Platinumballs status in the Cunard World Club.

Edited by Bollinge

We booked a guaranteed inside and we got an inside. I don't see any difference between inside "grades" since they're all the same size and I identically furnished.

The only difference is location and QM2 is such a large ship that it's a long way to walk back to your room if you are out of the way.

For what it's worth, our cabin is apparently an "IB" grade, mid-ships, two up from the lowest grade.

Edited by Bollinge

When I embarked in March just gone a couple found out when embarking.

A Cc'er booked a guarantee inside on the same trip and was allocated a sheltered balcony. Rather excellent.

Edited by Pushka

Gosh!!

Hope we get our allocation before we leave home on the 2nd November to San Juan on Adventure of the Seas and not to have to wait until we get to Brooklyn and find we've been allocated a lifeboat!!!

A sheltered balcony would be lovely.................but just to be on her again after 10 years will be fantastic!!

I booked PG2 Guarantee for the Norway Grand adventure and just yesterday was given exactly that. A PG 2.

I am happy with that. (If I were not I should be visited by the gratitude fairy and smacked upside the head.:))