Alaska Criuse Questions

Grammie2b

I am going on my first Alaskan Cruise on the Princess Island Princess leaving June 18th. I am wondering if we should book side trips thru Princess & what ones are good or if we should try to book trips ourselves either thru the computer or once we get there to save money. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance.:)

I am going on my first Alaskan Cruise on the Princess Island Princess leaving June 18th. I am wondering if we should book side trips thru Princess & what ones are good or if we should try to book trips ourselves either thru the computer or once we get there to save money. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks in advance.:)

Have you joined the roll call for your cruise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1909308

There may be some good answers there.

We loved the Taku Lodge flightseeing tour in Juneau.

In Alaska, you're in the U.S., so it's safer if you want to book through a third party. That said, some tours have a negligible price difference between Princess and the tour operator directly. I specifically found that to be the case with the White Pass Scenic Railway and the Bear Creek Zipline. My hubby and I personally prefer to err on the side of caution and book solely through Princess. That way, if something goes awry, we are protected. All of the towns are very walkable. There are some spectacular excursions offered!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Try to research each port of call to decide what you want to do--then research the different possibilities on the Alaska board. For all of our Alaskan cruises, we've found that doing things on our own much less expensive than doing them through Princess except for our snorkeling excursion in Ketchikan, which wasn't available independently at the time to fit our ship's schedule.

As we got older, we used the ship's tours more. Our one excursion on Belize, was over an hour late getting back. The ship waited for us. Had we been on a private excursion, we would have been left behind. Cost is a little more, but better than getting left.