Compare NCL vs RCI

NCL is all about freestyle in the restaurants. While the variety is good it adds to cost, decisions and waits.

I think shows are better and more variety on NCL.

If you plan on a suite I would say the haven on NCL is unmatched in the industry and RCL is probably behind most other than Carnival.

Clientele is similar with more younger kids on RCCL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Forums mobile app

We did one cruise on RCI doing the Mexican Rivera....it was our first cruise and I thought was going to be our last. Being told when to eat and who I will eat with....you call that a vacation? Sounds like daycare to me...lol. I have to say they had the worst pizza I have ever had. NO flavor... none. It was a very forgettable experience for us. Several years later we heard about freestyle and did an Alaska cruise on the Star....we were hooked! We could actually make our own decisions of when, where and with whom we could eat with....almost like we were grownups.

I guess RCI is doing some wanna be NCL thing trying to put a spin on something NCL has been doing for years. RCI is not for us but you are doing the right thing by looking on here. My opinion is biased from my experience but more than anything I think RCI just wasn't a fit for us and NCL is. There is a cruise line for just about anyone I think. Whatever you decide if you end up not enjoying yourself try a different cruise line. Second time was a charm for us! :D

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

RCI 'Dynamic Dining' announced for Quantum and Anthem may interest many NCL fans. It seems like they have copied NCL and even taken the next step with no MDR at all and taken 'freestyle' to the next level.

Does this appeal to you and/or define the new that might be seen on Norwegian Escape?

I like it.

I was wondering what the differences are between these 2 Lines. We have been on RCI twice already.

Food ?

Entertainment?

Clientele?

Etc...

Thanks

I think it depends on what NCL ship you are considering....and what RCI ships you have sailed. NCL is a lot like RCI with regard to their ship classes being quite different from one another.

Food - I could say this about all the major cruise lines. I think the MDR food quality is pretty much the same. I like the RCI menu better, and RCI has better variety in their buffets, but taste is pretty comparable. Also, the specialty restaurants are comparable.

I'd say entertainment is even. Just like how Oasis Class and soon-to-be Quantum Class has top notch entertainment, NCL's Epic and Breakaway Classes also have entertainment that has been greatly improved over their older ships.

Clientele - In my expereince, NCL tends to have a bit more of a party crowd...to put it nicely. Frankly, in this area, I'd say NCL is a closer comparison to Carnival than it is RCI, but that's just my opinion.

A word of advice...don't get all wrapped up in this Freestyle thing. It's just a euphoric name that loosely translates to "here's your pager, your table will be ready in 30 minutes." Again, that's been my experience. Others will be quick to say it's never happened to them. I think RCI's My Time Dining works better than NCL's Freestyle because it's limited and you're not competing against the entire ship for a table.

Good luck on your decision. :)

We've been on both RCL and NCL. In my thinking the two lines are more alike then different, but...each line has their own personality.

RCL in my experience projects a more traditional slightly older elegant feeling.

NCL has a younger staff. They tend to be more innovative and have their finger on the pulse of new trends and demands of modern vacationing families.

I will say though that NCL has learned how to make their Freestyle concept work for them revenue wise. I noticed over the years that they have removed certain things off the MDR menu which are now only available at certain extra fee restaurants. Like for instance Escargot and Shrimp cocktail, (available at La Bistro) I will say RCL is not far behind them on this. On my recent sailing with them on ALLUE I noticed they no longer offer Nachos at their free poolside venue I suspect because they have a mexican fee paid option called Rita's.

These are small things and in no way a deal breaker for the great value of a cruise vacation.

Edited by kimala

We are big RCCL fans and have sailed two NCL and going on the Getaway in a week. The biggest difference we have found are the pool areas. On the Getaway in the adult area H20 they only have a "water feature" not a pool. I don't understand why they wouldn't have a pool there. On Royal Caribbean ships, espeically the Allure & the Oasis they have the solarium which is adults only with a pool. Also, there is only one main pool on the NCL ships whereas Royal has many pools to choose from. So if you are a pool person, that's the difference.

I've sailed NCL twice and Royal twice - most recently on Royal on the Independence in February for our honeymoon. While we enjoyed the cruise itself, we walked away from it knowing that NCL is our preferred cruise line, largely in part to Freestyle. Eat when you want, with whom you want, without reservations (except for specialty restaurants) in a casual environment. NCL has Freestyle down, whereas Royal's MyTime Dining was not as streamlined in that we ended up having to make reservations for MyTime Dining in the MDR when we wanted to eat there. We didn't feel like there was as much flexibility on Royal in terms of dining, and not as much variety either. I have read on here that the "vibe" in the Indy is off, so maybe that had something to do with it. Regardless, we didn't enjoy the food on the Indy as much we enjoyed the food on NCL, and we aren't picky!

The Freestyle concept aside, NCL and Royal ships seemed to be comparable in amenities, with Royal ships being more understated in decor.

We've enjoyed NCL's entertainment more than Royal.

Pools were comparable on both, I think. Enough to go around. We absolutely LOVED the cantilevered hot tubs on the Indy!

In the end, I do think they're more similar than different, with the exception of NCL being a bit more relaxed and comfortable (for us) than Royal.

Really, no cruise is a bad cruise. :-)