Let me get this straight-dynamic dining

The whole point of reservations is to insure that nobody wastes time standing around waiting in line. Supposedly there will still be the opportunity to choose your option without a reservation. For those people that are skeptical keep in mind this is kind of like a science experiment only on two ships and if it doesn't turn out well it will be scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with your comments on AG.

I mentioned on another of our threads that we are waiting for the 2015 schedules to come out - thinking about a summer '15 Quantum timeline. (Maybe Anthem as an alternative in Europe, but Bayonne would be so much easier and less $). See what the Quantum itineraries are when they finally are posted.

I'm waiting for the 2015 schedules as well. For us it will be Christmas 2015. Will have to see the dates and itineraries. Quantum out of NJ more than likely a 7 day cruise vs Anthem ??? Maybe Indy's 8 day itinerary. Have the Allure booked for now just in case things don't work out.

I'm waiting for the 2015 schedules as well. For us it will be Christmas 2015. Will have to see the dates and itineraries. Quantum out of NJ more than likely a 7 day cruise vs Anthem ??? Maybe Indy's 8 day itinerary. Have the Allure booked for now just in case things don't work out.

The current Quantum schedules include 8-12 nights as well. I'm hoping that the trend continues as we are looking for a longer itinerary. Indy's 8-night is a really nice itinerary - think I may have mentioned we've done that twice. (most recently 3/1). We would do that one again as well. Allure isn't a bad fallback either!

The current Quantum schedules include 8-12 nights as well. I'm hoping that the trend continues as we are looking for a longer itinerary. Indy's 8-night is a really nice itinerary - think I may have mentioned we've done that twice. (most recently 3/1). We would do that one again as well. Allure isn't a bad fallback either!

Yeah I'm hoping for the 8 night Indy itinerary. Quantum this year did 7's both Christmas and New Years but the itinerary wasn't great but the initial price wasn't too bad and it's an 8 hr drive as opposed to 25.

For those people that are skeptical keep in mind this is kind of like a science experiment only on two ships and if it doesn't turn out well it will be scrapped.

I wish I could believe that. But I think we're being "softened up" on other ships and cruises to get us ready for a general roll-out of the dismantling of the MDR. Leading to many boutique options, most of which will require extra payment.

I say this because we were unable to book early dining, a year in advance, on our cruise on the Legend which we sailed on this past Feb. We were finally stuck with MTD, even though we tried, once we boarded to change (on the advice of CC posters). No dice. MTD it was, so then we tipped the headwaiter to keep our table, every night, so we could dine with our friends at the same table at the same time with the same servers. But he told us he could only keep our table (tip notwithstanding) if we arrived at the MDR by 6:15.

Let's review the bidding. We paid a daily tip to dine at 6:15 every day with our friends at the same table. In other words, we paid for what we should have had through early MDR dining. But unfortunately for us, early dining had never been available to us right from the first moment we booked our cruise, a year ahead of time. So the only thing we could do to dine together at the early dining time we wanted was to bribe the headwaiter every day to keep our table for us and our friends.

While on board, we booked the same cruise next year for the same ship - it was a terrific trip for so many reasons. Guess what - no early dining available in the MDR even a year in advance. Just like the last time.

We are being pushed somewhere different with this dining business. And I don't like being pushed around like a stupid sheep.

Edited by wassup4565

I was at the Wed reveal in NYC. 10 places are free all the time. 7 are always for a fee. And JR is free at bkfst, charge for lunch and dinner.

The trad RCI pays are pays, the 3 new designer places are for a fee and the wonderful Wonderland (think Qsine type from Celebrity) is the most, at $45. And the WJ will be greatly expanded, for customized choices and cooking.

All the samples provided were very good and Wonderland, was original and eccentric. Disappearing noodles, Chocolate olive fizz, Wasabi and apple smoke crisp and Sweet and sour bonito bacon.

Now to see how it plays out in real life.

The specialty dining options seem very interesting. It seems like they are trying to level the playing field with NCL.

One thing that annoys me is Izumi. Why do they charge a fee JUST TO GET IN then charge you for food?! Are you paying for the privilege to sit in a restaurant? However, the food looks delicious.

CafeTwo70- in the daytime, the lounge has windows, correct? Then, in the evening, there are screens that show light she's and landscapes?

The more I think about it, the Quantum class seems to be such a game changer for RCI. At first, it thought it would be a dud, but after seeing all of these new concepts introduced on Quantum, it seems so exciting. On NCL, (I think) the Sun and Sky OR Gem class were the first for NCL to be for Freestyle Dining I think the Q class will serve this purpose for RCI.

However, I think 'dynamic dining' is a stupid name. It sounds like something a new, boring teacher would say: "OK class, now let's do a dynamic lesson before going to our dynamic dining tables!!!" :eek:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I have read other threads condemning dynamic dining but I think it looks interesting. I hope it goes well and I definitely want to give it a try to see if I like it. I guess I will have to make the sacrifice and book another cruise. I also think the Quantum Class looks interesting. I do like the options of booking different size ships with different amenities depending on what I am looking for at the time. That is what I like about RCI, there are so many different ships and experiences to please just about everyone.

The whole point of reservations is to insure that nobody wastes time standing around waiting in line. Supposedly there will still be the opportunity to choose your option without a reservation. For those people that are skeptical keep in mind this is kind of like a science experiment only on two ships and if it doesn't turn out well it will be scrapped.

Dream on. This won't be scrapped. It's not like they've put up removable partitions in the space where a MDR (or two) would occupy. It would be prohibitably expensive to retrofit these ships.

I'll go along with the notion that this may be a "experiment" (as you call it) before deciding that any future ships use the same model, but these two ships are what they are. If I were a betting man though, I'd expect every new ship (across most cruise lines) will feature something similar to Dynamic Dining.

I wish I could believe that. But I think we're being "softened up" on other ships and cruises to get us ready for a general roll-out of the dismantling of the MDR. Leading to many boutique options, most of which will require extra payment.

I say this because we were unable to book early dining, a year in advance, on our cruise on the Legend which we sailed on this past Feb. We were finally stuck with MTD, even though we tried, once we boarded to change (on the advice of CC posters). No dice. MTD it was, so then we tipped the headwaiter to keep our table, every night, so we could dine with our friends at the same table at the same time with the same servers. But he told us he could only keep our table (tip notwithstanding) if we arrived at the MDR by 6:15.

Let's review the bidding. We paid a daily tip to dine at 6:15 every day with our friends at the same table. In other words, we paid for what we should have had through early MDR dining. But unfortunately for us, early dining had never been available to us right from the first moment we booked our cruise, a year ahead of time. So the only thing we could do to dine together at the early dining time we wanted was to bribe the headwaiter every day to keep our table for us and our friends.

While on board, we booked the same cruise next year for the same ship - it was a terrific trip for so many reasons. Guess what - no early dining available in the MDR even a year in advance. Just like the last time.

We are being pushed somewhere different with this dining business. And I don't like being pushed around like a stupid sheep.

I'm not a big fan of the term "really!?"...but really!?

You actually believe the only reason you were able to get the same table and wait staff was because you slipped the head waiter a 5-spot every night? The head waiters and maitre d's will do almost anything within reason to make sure you enjoy you're dining experience.

An example...on our last cruise, our MTD waiter took a crazy long time to ask us what drinks we wanted and provide menus. We finally said enough is enough and decided we'd just go to the WJ. We told the maitre d on the way out that they we'd waited too long to be served. As we were sitting down to eat in the WJ (maybe 15 minutes later), our head waiter tracked us down and implored us to accept his apology as well as a complementary meal in one of the specialty restaurants.

Maybe that was a little out of the ordinary, but I don't think a cruise line that encourages that kind of customer service would also tolerate a head waiter "shaking down" a guest so they could get the same table every night.

If you like set times and the same servers then nothing will change for you, because you can reserve your dinning times before your cruise and then request to be sat in the same section...but the brilliant thing is say you had a later excursion or fell asleep on the pool deck and want to have a late dinner, then no problem just change your reservation and eat at whatever time works for you.

Or if you don't like the menu one night, don't sweat it just change your reservation to another restaurant. What f you have friends on board who want to put together a special dinner, just link the reservations together and pick a time a restaurant that works for everyone.

I think this a brilliant idea especially for the NY/European market, where people are very used to eating at all different times and have a ton of choices at their disposal.

If you like set times and the same servers then nothing will change for you, because you can reserve your dinning times before your cruise and then request to be sat in the same section...but the brilliant thing is say you had a later excursion or fell asleep on the pool deck and want to have a late dinner, then no problem just change your reservation and eat at whatever time works for you.

Or if you don't like the menu one night, don't sweat it just change your reservation to another restaurant. What f you have friends on board who want to put together a special dinner, just link the reservations together and pick a time a restaurant that works for everyone.

I think this a brilliant idea especially for the NY/European market, where people are very used to eating at all different times and have a ton of choices at their disposal.

IMO that is a viable point but it is inconvenient to have to go through the hassle just to get a normal seating. Also, my issue with DD is the number of specialty restaurants. While they have better food, there are too few free restaurants. Plus, if our family of five wishes to dine in a specialty restaurant, we would have to pay 100 dollars (average). Either increase free places or lower the prices.

On my Serenade TA in November I had MTD, did not make reservations and never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes to be seated. The staff realized on their own that I usually came between 8-9 and after a few days they had the same table, same wait staff and my ice tea waiting for me.

I could be that if I came a lot earlier it might have been different and I would have to be more proactive but I felt that the staff went out of their way to be of help.

On my Serenade TA in November I had MTD, did not make reservations and never had to wait more than 2-3 minutes to be seated. The staff realized on their own that I usually came between 8-9 and after a few days they had the same table, same wait staff and my ice tea waiting for me.

I could be that if I came a lot earlier it might have been different and I would have to be more proactive but I felt that the staff went out of their way to be of help.

If there is no waiting on Quantum, I will be surprised. With NCL, there is very little waiting on the Gem and no reservations needed, but a hour to sometimes two hour wait on the Breakaway so reservations are needed.

If by that you mean Quantum of the Seas is the largest, that is incorrect. Quantum / Anthem will be only slightly larger than the current Freedom class ships. Oasis class remains by far the largest.

....just not my cup of tea to sail with "thousands of my closest personal friends". Lines and crowds do nothing for us.

What I don't understand is, if you don't make your reservations far enough in advance, you may not get to dine when you want or where you want, without waiting. I also enjoy getting to know my waitstaff. I realize I can keep the same waiters if I dine in the same venue each night, but the menu doesn't change evening to evening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Each restaurant has the same menu each night. The only way you can have the same servers is to have the same menu each night. There is not enough of a selection at each venue to eat there for a week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dream on. This won't be scrapped. It's not like they've put up removable partitions in the space where a MDR (or two) would occupy. It would be prohibitably expensive to retrofit these ships.

I'll go along with the notion that this may be a "experiment" (as you call it) before deciding that any future ships use the same model, but these two ships are what they are. If I were a betting man though, I'd expect every new ship (across most cruise lines) will feature something similar to Dynamic Dining.

Yeah it is probably going to be on those ships forever but if it isn't successful with good ratings they are not going to spend the money to convert older ships.

Why is Royal so confident that this will work that they are introducing it on both Quantum AND Anthem!? I would build Anthem to be easily convertible in case it doesn't go well on Q.

First, let me say -- "I love traditional seating"! We will be on the Anthem for 14 days in 2015. Here is my plan:

--book the formal dining room every other night; same time; and perhaps ask for the same table for two. I'm thinking the demand for the formal dining room will be less compared to the casual areas?

--alternate nights -- book a different venue each evening until we work through all the dining rooms, including the "for pay" dining rooms.

When we want traditional, we will cruise Celebrity. Formal, up-scale and wonderful cuisine! We are also scheduled to cruise the Navigator and we will be in the fixed dining room.

We are willing to try something new!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

For the same reason that you have taken 52 cruises, you enjoyed it then , just as others might enjoy it know.

Although I personally am looking forward to DD for a change :D

Love it...after 52 cruises, why would I want to be told WHEN I'm hungry and want to eat? I think it's a great concept!

Yeah it is probably going to be on those ships forever but if it isn't successful with good ratings they are not going to spend the money to convert older ships.

Agree...kinda. Just as I think it would be prohibitively expensive to retrofit Quantum and Anthem if this goes badly (hint...it won't) it would also cost a boatload of money (pun intended) to retrofit the existing fleet to totally replace the MDR. The existing ships will likely get a few more specialty venues during any planned upgrades but nothing as dramatic as dynamic dining.

Like I said before....I suspect that all new ships across most lines will have some version of dynamic dining. Today's consumers want choice and this approach offers it.

First, let me say -- "I love traditional seating"! We will be on the Anthem for 14 days in 2015. Here is my plan:

--book the formal dining room every other night; same time; and perhaps ask for the same table for two. I'm thinking the demand for the formal dining room will be less compared to the casual areas?

--alternate nights -- book a different venue each evening until we work through all the dining rooms, including the "for pay" dining rooms.

When we want traditional, we will cruise Celebrity. Formal, up-scale and wonderful cuisine! We are also scheduled to cruise the Navigator and we will be in the fixed dining room.

We are willing to try something new!

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I like your plan.

Personally, I think this is a fantastic idea. We are a party of 2 and we cruise for vacation. I have often found it horribly uncomfortable in the MDR with upwards of 10 strangers. I love cruising, but the idea of paying as much as we do so I have to dine with complete strangers who may not like us, for the entire week, has defiantly put a damper on my only time off every 2 years. Plus the problem of wanting to go to a show etc, but not having time to enjoy dinner or change to be comfortable before the show, or in some cases have enough time tom go to the bathroom and still get a good seat.

I love the idea of actually being able to eat with my DH only. some will say "you can do that every other day" and the answer is no, I cannot. We only actually see each other one night a week, so 7+ in a row is like a honeymoon for us. Or, if we meet new people, to then choose to dine with them because we get along. The old way in the MDR was like when teachers choose your partners for the big class project, which was always a nightmare.

I see so many people cutting on tips by skipping the last night in the MDR or getting in line to remove the tips. This way it is fair. You choose the venue: if you choose to go to the WJ or the new inclusive restaurants, you dont have to pay for a tip to the waiters you never met. If you go to a for pay specialty location, you can tip accordingly, above what is already charged, if you wish. I think this works out for the waiters, as well as the guest services staff.

We always book last minute, meaning we never get our choice of dining seating. this gives all people the option to have earlier meals, not just preference to those who have the money to book first and know their schedules will be free 2 years down the road. Families can coordinate based on needs: no longer will very young tots or kids with ASD (for example) have to sit through long slow, somewhat formal, boring dining in the MDR or have no other option other than the WJ.

I also love that the menu is the same every night! no longer will we be looking at the menu and deciding last minute if we like it or not, and if not, where we will eat instead. With the fixed menu, we can plan out every day, even knowing what we will have before we board. being a super planner geek, this is awesome. Parents dont have to worry about finding food their kids will like every night. Millennials like to have choices in where and when they dine, and do not like a fixed schedule, so this will appeal to the younger crowd, which based on the active lifestyle and adventure theme of RCI, is the generation they are appealing to.

In short, i think it is great for families, late bookings who may want to eat early (or have to), couples who enjoy being alone together, and those who detest actually tipping people whom they never saw. It is also great for RCI waitstaff who will not be jipped on tips, and for their logistics folks, so they have enough food when they leave based on the number and dates of reservations made before people even board the ship.