Reassure me that it will be great....

rnewton2

Just booked a Thanksgiving cruise on the Dream out of New Orleans for a Thanksgiving cruise. This is really the only one that worked as we wanted a port that we could drive to from the Midwest. Only problem is that I am really not crazy about the itinerary. We go to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. I am really not excited about any of these places and can't find anything that really excites me. I would be okay just staying on the ship, but I think the kiddos would get a little antsy. We have been to Cozumel multiple times, it is a great place, just wish it didn't seem like every ship stops there every time. Never been to Roatan or Belize. Anyone have any great advice on any of these ports to get me excited about them???

Thanks!

My kids favorite ports! Did cave tubing in Belize! Lots of info here on the boards. In Roatan got off of the ship and hired a taxi for the day. Beach, sites and Iguana rescue? I'm not sure what the iguana place was but tons of iguana. Very inexpensive. Any port is what you make of it. The cave tubing we did a private company and had ship excursion being rushed past us the whole day. We stopped in the rain forest and learned about the plants and actually had cane sugar to chew on as well as a leaf that nova cane is made from. Very interesting day and the caves were great. The caves are seasonal due to flooding in the rainy season. Enjoy these ports! Hope this helps.

That is an excellent Itinerary, we did that one last year on the Conquest. Roatan we did the pirates and monkeys tour, which was great. In Belize we did the Altun Ha and City tour. Cozumel ranks up there with one of our favorite ports because of Nachi Cocom, or any of the similar beach days.

We did this itinerary last year. We went to Little French Key in Roatan and loved it. Privately owned island that hasn't been overdeveloped. Owners will take you snorkeling for an extra $10. Lunch is served and is good. Belize we stayed on the ship but many people love it. Cozumel (agree, the port gets tiresome) we went to Mr Sanchos. Nice day at the beach. Look on the "Ports of Call" boards for more detailed info.

If you haven't been to Paradise Beach in Cozumel, it is really great for kids - lots of water type activities for them (small charge for armbands). They have a website. http://www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com/

I haven't been to Roatan or Belize yet but have seen so many good reviews on Victor Bodden in Roatan. I have his site bookmarked because I want to use him for a tour when we get to that port. Here is his website. http://www.boddentours.com/bestofroatan.htm There are lots of good reviews on him in the Ports of Call boards.

Roatan is amazing!! Go with a private tour co and take the kids zip lining! My kids still talk about it to this day 2 yrs later. We are booked to do it again Christmas. They can also take you to the beach or something after.

Biggest advice don't stay by the ship in Roatan!

The Dream is amazing. We are actually embarking THIS Saturday to bring her to New Orleans. It will be our third time on her and we are stoked!

For me, the itinerary you're getting is GREAT! Cozumel is our favorite port, we've been there so often it's almost like our "home away from home". Definitely book an excursion in Belize. We did a zip line/cave tube thing on e when we were there, it was great! There is also a chocolate factory right at the port where you can design your own chocolate bars. In Roatan we rented a driver for the day and he took us to the most amazing little private zoo that we were able to see amazing monkeys that would run up and jump on your shoulder. It was fabulous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Roatan is AMAZING! Look at my review. We had the BEST day there on a Victor Bodden private tour. It's gorgeous. You won't be disappointed!

I agree...we did a VB tour in Roatan and LOVED it! Kenny was our guide for the day and he was wonderful. He took us wherever we wanted to go and was happy to do it. Very beautiful!

We booked our own excursion in Belize too. We went cave tubing and it was a lot of fun too. If you have small children, please know that the hike through the rainforest is just that...a good hike and you may end up carrying little ones, along with the raft. Our guide did carry our smaller children's rafts though.

Enjoy your trip!

Have you ever rented a car and gone to the opposite side of the island? It is simply amazing and a world away from all the traditional Cozumel tourist stuff. The beach at the north end of the main east side beach road is very clean and well kept. There is a large and tasty restaurant there (can't remember the name, but it is the first one as the road hits the ocean). They charge $5pp to use "their" beach because they clean it and offer clean restrooms with showers and changing areas. The $5 each is negotiable, but if you buy a drink, they won't charge you the fee. It is a great place and so out of the ordinary for what the ship sells as Cozumel.

When we were on the Dream, we had to skip Roatan due to winds, we were really looking forward to stopping there. We did cave tubing in Belize and everyone in the group loved it, from the 13 year old to the 65 year old. Our company and guide were amazing, and if I make it back to Belize, I would do the exact same excursion....

This was the itinerary we had on our first cruise and it was awesome!

Roatan is great for a beach day. Mahogany Bay is a short walk, beautiful, and has free chairs. We had no problem finding some in the shade either.

In Belize we went to Xunantunich, long day, but it was great. Interesting, educational, and the people are so friendly.

Honestly, Cozumel we could take or leave, but we did a dolphin swim that was very close to the port, wish we'd done something else.

Just do a little research, find out what your family wants to do, and go with a good attitude. You'll have a great time!

We just did this itinerary 2 weeks ago on the Sunshine, loved all the ports!

In Roatan, we went to Little French Key for the day, we all loved it, and our boys got to swim with a jaguar (the highlight of their day!)

In Belize, we did the Altan Hu and city tour, nice day, very interesting, not too long.

In Cozumel we went to Mr. Sancho's, had a great beach day!

I think you should LOVE this itinerary.

I just booked my next cruise, on the Magic going to Key West and the Bahamas.....and I'M having trouble getting excited about THAT itinerary?!?! But, I've decided to just go with it (it was by BF's choice) since I've loved every cruise and every port so far.....I'm sure i'll love this as well!

Those ports are wonderful. But, even if you stayed on the ship all week, your kids would have a great time. I'm going on the Dream for the fourth time this Saturday, bringing her to NOLA from Port Canaveral. She truly is a fun ship. Have a fabulous cruise.:D

Clip and Zip in Roatan. Best zip line EVER !! They have a braking system that is automatic which takes the fear of knocking the attendant off his platform away:D. These are our favorite ports. Nachi Cocam in Cozumel is wonderful. I plan on visiting Moho Chocolate Factory in Belize. They show you the entire process of making chocolate from the fruit to the finished chocolate bar.

Have a blast. I'm sure the Kids will too :)

I can't wait to go back to Roatan and Belize!

We went to Bannister Island in Belize and it was great - but if it had been a beautiful day I think it might have been too crowded. I still want to snorkel in good weather in Belize so I'd probably try that again. I want to try cave tubing too because it just gets so many rave reviews.

In Roatan, there is world class shore snorkeling from one of the beaches but I'd probably still use Victor Bodden's tourguides again for a private tour so we could have lunch at a nice restaurant and sort of be mobile for the day. He's not overpriced and they will do anything you want for the day! Or if you just want an easy beach day, there is one right there for free, right beside the ship!

Thank you all, I am feeling better!! There are a few things in Roatan that look appealing to us. Would love some advice...If you go with the private tour, what kinds of things do you ask or should we ask to see? The kids would definitely like to zipline, which one do you recommend? There are so many to choose from. My daughter would definitely like to see the monkeys. I also saw the Monkeylala ATV tour, my son would love that. Do you think we could do it all? Has anyone done the ATV tour, worth it? Don't need to do the beach or lunch during our tour...

Thanks!!

Also, in Belize, do you recommend .bz or .viv for the cave tubing?

I have asked these questions on the ports of call boards too, but never get much of a response.

Thank you

I went with bz, so I can only tell you that our experience was wonderful, the guides were great, the included meal was great, the entire excursion was great, and I would book again if I ever go back. I have heard great things about both companies, but bz was great for us...

I cannot believe you would need reassurance on a cruise you booked. It will be great. We just recently did this itinerary on NCL out of New Orleans (with the addition of Costa Maya), and we have sailed the Dream out of Port Canaveral. This itinerary is great and the Dream is a nice ship, a little crowded feeling, but a super nice ship.

Check out my detailed picture review of our NCL cruise. We have two kids, ages 11 and 13. In Belize, we went cave tubing and had an awesome time! And ROATAN... my all time favorite port. We took an excursion to Maya Key, which was A+! Wonderful snorkeling, nice little beach, replica Mayan temple and cultural center, wildlife reserve, etc. We have visited West Bay beach in Roatan on previous cruise.

Belize excursion beginning on post #28, and Roatan beginning on post #47

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1976718

Also, in Belize, do you recommend .bz or .viv for the cave tubing?

I have asked these questions on the ports of call boards too, but never get much of a response.

Thank you

We used bz, and they were great. We did not have to carry our tubes; they had them waiting near the entrance for us.