New cd role and new postions

When I think of a CD, I remember Julie McCoy from the Love Boat. She was always there to interact with the passengers. These new-fangled CDs don't know how to do it!

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg

Many do but many are just shills for the cruiseline making announcement after announcement about the wonderful so called sales.

After the big Cruise Director conference that is taking place in Miami this week. There is going to be a big shake-up with where the cruise directors are placed on each ship.

I depart on Saturday on the Carnival Dream for the repositioning cruise. On the original schedule we were going to have James Charlton but now we have Hennie Van Heerden.

And for anyone who has had Hennie in the past as a Cruise Director may agree with me that he is definitely not one of the best cruise directors :rolleyes:

After the big Cruise Director conference that is taking place in Miami this week. There is going to be a big shake-up with where the cruise directors are placed on each ship.

I depart on Saturday on the Carnival Dream for the repositioning cruise. On the original schedule we were going to have James Charlton but now we have Hennie Van Heerden.

And for anyone who has had Hennie in the past as a Cruise Director may agree with me that he is definitely not one of the best cruise directors :rolleyes:

Wow that is surprising. For him to have one of the larger ships. He use to be Risa's replacement for her vacations on the fantasy.

Wow that is surprising. For him to have one of the larger ships. He use to be Risa's replacement for her vacations on the fantasy.

Yeah I wasn't too happy his week when I heard that he would be on the Dream. But oh well I am gonna be too busy having fun to even notice who the cruise director is :)

First let me say that i am a loyal carnival cruiser. You can see by my past post that i am always defending them here. With that said i really do not like the new postions. Many of you will say a cd will not make or break your cruise. I on the other hand see the cd as part of the ship. Since i am one who enjoys the cruise itself and do not cruise just for the ports. It seems like carnival are slapping the current CDs in the face with a demotion. From what i read on fb they are creating an entertaiment director to be the head of the department and media manager to print funtimes and select movies. So basically a cd now will only be an emcee. I know this is just trivial, but as one who enjoys cruise directors i feel sorry for them. They are being demoted and i think it is unfortunate . Sorry for ranting. This is my first negative post agianst carnival. Just my humble opinion.

You have a good point there. Some of my most memorable cruises have been because the CD does a good job managing the CD staff and managing activities. Conversely, some of the cruises I was not so pleased with the CD was rarely seen and didn't seem to be a part of the cruise. That attitude spreads to the CD staff and makes the cruise far less fun then it should be.

media manager to print funtimes and select movies.

I have always gotten a kick out of people saying that the CD spends so much time making up the Funtimes. Then on here, somebody will ask if anybody has a copy of their Funtimes from a cruise six months prior to see what's going to be on their cruise six months in the future. They don't change that much from week to week other than maybe who the comedian is or the date and port on the front. Most of that info stays the same from week to week, month to month.

I know they have in the past had other behind the scenes responsibilities, just like an MD, but I've NEVER seen them any more than an MC.

The good ones excelled, the blah ones did alright. But the bad ones? They really made the shos awful and painful.

But they also set the tone for the whole cruise starting right from the welcome aboard show.

But worse, was watching some of them doing other peoples material that you'd seen before. Thank /od most are gone, like Mark Hawkins and Bret Alans. Malcolm is also not on my list of past favorites either.

But maybe this change is going to make them more visible and accessible, as many you never even see except when its showtime. However, that's what I also thought when they added assistant cruise director and social host positions. I found that just made them less visible.

I wonder if anyone on board will even notice the difference. Just stop shouting at me throughout the day, please..

you said something half way decent... good job

Oh no!!! What if the purpose is to free up more time for announcements? Fill up the day to boost inch of gold and watch sales. They could replace the DJ's with announcements by the pool.

Note to self: bring earplugs.

uh oh you could be right

uh oh you could be right

I must be lucky because every cruise I've been on there has only been one daily announcement from the cruise director.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by kybluecruiser

Some cruisers seem to feel that if their cabin stewards and wait staff aren't fawning over them every second that they aren't receiving "good" service. I'm the opposite. I want "good" service to be as unobtrusive as possible. See the pattern here? JUST DO YOUR JOB.

I don't need or want anyone fawning over me. And I don't need the CD to come chat with me and be visible!

I know nc as a fellow fantasy lover like myself wont like this but i was hoping jen will replace Risa as permanent cd on the fantasy lol

Seriously, if she's moved to Fantasy, I'll never set foot on that ship again, despite having made friends with "my" waiters and others. I really, really disliked Jen. :mad:

When I think of a CD, I remember Julie McCoy from the Love Boat. She was always there to interact with the passengers. These new-fangled CDs don't know how to do it!

See, but it just depends on what you interpret the position to entail. As I noted, I do NOT think the CD's job is to be out there interacting with the passengers and being Ms/Mr Chief FUN Person. I think the position is to keep things running smoothly. IMHO, THAT is how you should do it! I never watched Love Boat more than once or twice. Didn't care for the show at all.

Yeah I wasn't too happy his week when I heard that he would be on the Dream. But oh well I am gonna be too busy having fun to even notice who the cruise director is :)

How did you find out who the cruise director was going to be?

Cruise directors have come to mean for me and mine an irritant and an example of adults who behave like children. The morning talk show on the outdoor TV is a prime example of narcisistic camera luv. If there are to be two "CD's" on each ship as one possibility suggests, Carnival may need to be voided as a future line option for us. We'll see in our fall cruise.

I also would like to propose my opinion that the other commonly voiced possibility of a more interactive CD is a fine idea in principle, but the poor souls placed in this position will quickly hate it. I can predictably foresee the whining, complaining, invoking of the vacation guarantee, bartendering/waiting/bussing ("are you having a good cruise?" "No because I don't have any silverware, the drink prices are too high, can you clear this table???") etc.

I like Mr. Heald and his role for Carnival but even he can get quickly annoying and believe it's because he's acting "American" rather than his charming and witty "British self".