Venice

ovccruiser

We stayed in a hotel just one bridge over from Piazza Roma so it was easy to carry luggage to/from.

We caught the bus to Piazza Roma from the airport (FCO) which was reasonable compared to water taxi prices. Sorry I can't remember how much, but I think it was less than 20 Euros pp (don't quote me on that though).

After our 1 hotel night stay, we walked back to Piazza Roma and hopped on a tram (1 Euro) which takes you to the port. You're only it for 5 minutes. After the tram, there's about a 5-15 minute walk with luggage to the ship which is quite easy if you have wheeled luggage and no walking diffculties.

The reason I say 5-15 min is that some ships are closer to the tram than others and you will never know where yours is until you see it. Perhaps it was because we were in Italy, but the 2 Costa ships got the closest berths and the QE was behind them.

NB .For a river taxi from Piazza Roma, walk towards the railway station and there's a river taxi you can catch from there which takes you on the grand canal to anywhere you want to go. It's so much easier if you're just there for the day without luggage.

Edited by Lynnewob

You can walk from the port, to visit San Basilio or Canarregio area, or take a public vaporetto, if you want to go to San Marco. No need to take a (terribly expensive) water taxi if you have no luggage to carry. Every part of Venice is different and interesting to visit and to walk is the best way to do. Just be sure you get a good map, because Venice is probably the most "help I'm lost!" City I 've ever visited. There is an interesting one day vaporetto ticket and some global tickets for museums. Don't miss the vaporetto that sails along the great canal : longer, but so impressive trip! For vaporetto's information have a look at the ATV website (Venice public transports), very useful.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Forums

The train/tram People Carrier is not too far from the cruise port. This will take you to Piazzale Roma where you can board a vaporreto to St Marks Sq or wherever.

There is usually a launch that runs to and from St Marks from the port. Quite expensive for one round trip though.

Incidently the best day we have had in Venice (except at carnival time) was a Vaporreto trip to Burrano. A haven of peace away from the horrors of the tourist traps in the summer.

David.

An extract from my write-up during an overnight in Venice.

Just outside the port is a people mover which goes to Piazzale Roma where the water buses stop, but we decided to walk from here to St Mark’s Square along the smaller back streets (back canals?), stopping to look at anything which caught our eye. There are lots of signs pointing to ‘S. Marco and Rialto’, some official and some hand-written (and also signs for the return trip to ‘P. Roma’), so although the streets wind back and forth, you don’t get hopelessly lost. After spending time in S. Marco, we caught a water bus back to the ship, which went the full length of the Grand Canal stopping frequently; it cost €8 and took 50 minutes. The next day we got another waterbus which took a different route to S. Marco and walked back.

We disembarked a Seabourn Cruise and walked with our carryon rollaboards to our hotel on the Grand Canal. It was a lovely day and we were able to see many familiar sights before the hordes arrived. It is a longish walk with many small bridges to carry the bags over. Also, many areas have rough cobble stone areas, not the best for rolling bags. But Venice is the last great walking city. Look around. Probably half of the people you see are carrying some kind of baggage.:D

The cruise terminal is not on the mainland, it is in Venice. Just walk over the first bridge you reach and begin to explore. When you get tired take a vaporetto back to the terminal ; -)

If you want bragging rights to riding in a gondola, but aren't interested in paying gobs for it, there are stops along the grand canal where large gondolas ferry passengers back and forth across stretches where there aren't bridges nearby. Ask for the Traghetto stop.

Venice is a wonderful walking city!

Sara