Service Charges on NCL

Shacky316

Hello. I recently went on a weekend cruise with the DW on the Breakaway in January. Since it was 2 nights/ 2 people, the $48 service charge was not the end of the world. However, I never saw the cabin steward nor did he/she attempt to introduce himself. Is this how NCL operates?

I am now going on the Breakaway again in June for a 7 nighter with 4 people. So now I'm looking at $336 for turndown service? Why $12 per person when Disney suggests $4/person per day? Is the NCL service fee going to other employees as well?

Has anyone actually adjusted their service fee lower on an NCL cruise?

Hello. I recently went on a weekend cruise with the DW on the Breakaway in January. Since it was 2 nights/ 2 people, the $48 service charge was not the end of the world. However, I never saw the cabin steward nor did he/she attempt to introduce himself. Is this how NCL operates?

I am now going on the Breakaway again in June for a 7 nighter with 4 people. So now I'm looking at $336 for turndown service? Why $12 per person when Disney suggests $4/person per day? Is the NCL service fee going to other employees as well?

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I hope this is a troll, but just in case.

While you wait for a response, why not peruse the rest of the Norwegian boards to see the literally thousands of topics about the service charge?

The NCL service fee goes to all service staff - from the NCL FAQ:

"Staff members including restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports."

So, it's not just your room steward - and you probably have two.

Here we go again. Another service charge thread. If you feel that 12 dollars pp is too much money then maybe you should just stick with Disney.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would rather pay the 12bucks than to pay what it costs to do a DCL trip. You could almost do an all inclusive for the price if a Disney. IMHO

Oh, boy, another tip thread, I'll get the popcorn and stand by for flames.

The service charges on NCL include stateroom attendants, restaurant wait staff, and some back of house crew. If you add up all the Disney recommended gratuities (server, asst server, head server, stateroom steward) you get $12/day/person.

You can reduce or remove your service charges on NCL, by going to the front desk, but be prepared to explain why you want to reduce/remove them.

This is what I've posted about service charges today on the RCI forum, but the system applies to nearly all lines:

Those who are included in the service charge pool, have the amount of their share (say $2 per person for each cabin a cabin attendant is assigned) included in the employment contract that they sign, so they are sort of promised that money by the line (it is spelled out that portions of it can be removed by guests). The reason for the service charge is a device by the lines to keep the ticket price down (burying the service charge in the fine print) and to instill a team attitude among the service staff to keep one bad employee from causing guests to remove charges that affect more than one employee. The company can also disclaim any responsibility for removing money from the crew's pay.

Each line breaks down the service charge differently as far as the number of crew included, the positions included, and the amount each position gets.

Just wondering, does Disney's $4 per day include everyone serving you or just the steward? NCL's $12 is for everyone, from stewards, to waiter, to busboys, to maitre'd, etc, etc, etc. Only people not included are butlers, concierge, kids' club staff (which should all be tipped by the persons who use them) and bar staff and spa staff (gratuities are added automatically for these services that are not used by everyone).

I'm going to avoid the whole Service Charge argument, I'm just tired of it, but I will say that service is VERY different on a 7 night cruise than on a CTN, and I don't think you will be disappointed...

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

You can reduce or remove your service charges on NCL, by going to the front desk, but be prepared to explain why you want to reduce/remove them.

Is this really true?

I thought you had the option to opt-out at any time for any reason.

I don't plan to opt out, but I didn't think you had to justify it to the front desk if you chose to do so.

Also, I think the blanket service charge sucks because you CAN'T revoke tips from any particular department where you got bad service, which I think is unfair to the cruiser.

I would much prefer to have the service charge broken down into pieces (even if it adds up to over $12).

Is this really true?

I thought you had the option to opt-out at any time for any reason.

I don't plan to opt out, but I didn't think you had to justify it to the front desk if you chose to do so.

From my time working there, they could be pretty persistent about asking you for a specific reason for reducing/removing service charges. It's a way to dissuade people from removing them, and also to help them identify areas where service needs to be improved. NCL tends to be more insistent about justifying service charge adjustments than some of the other lines.

Hello. I recently went on a weekend cruise with the DW on the Breakaway in January. Since it was 2 nights/ 2 people, the $48 service charge was not the end of the world. However, I never saw the cabin steward nor did he/she attempt to introduce himself.

I'm not going to get into the service charge part of this but you stated above, "I never saw the cabin steward nor did he/she attempt to introduce himself".

Maybe....just Maybe.....when he was around your cabin you weren't. But more important....

Was your room cleaned? Was your bathroom cleaned. Were there fresh towels? Was your bed made? Was there ice in your ice bucket?

Just because you didn't see him/her doesn't mean they didn't do their job.

Also please note: a 2 day cruise is different than a 7 day cruise.

Harriet

You might want to go back to Disney and read this link:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/planning-center/my-cruise-plans/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

For a 4 day cruise:

Dining Room Server $16.00

Dining Room Asst. Server $12.00

Dining Room Head Server $4.00

Stateroom Host/Hostess $16.00

Total: $48

You're not adding in the other people that get part of that $12 a day~ just like on Disney~

Edited by Alliezona09

Actually, Disney suggests $12/person per day. ($84 for a 7 day cruise.)

On one of our cruises where we had four in an inside cabin we chose to reduce our fee to $10 a day for the 3rd and 4th person. This brought out total to $44 a day for the cabin rather than $48. Seemed to us like a fair amount. We did not totally eliminate it for those two knowing that more than just the cabin stewards get the money. It should be noted, as is the case with a lot of people, we did individually tip for service during the cruise as well. They did ask us why we wnated to reduce it and I just told them there were four of us in the cabin and tipped along the way. Was not made to feel bad about it at all.

On one of our cruises where we had four in an inside cabin we chose to reduce our fee to $10 a day for the 3rd and 4th person. This brought out total to $44 a day for the cabin rather than $48. Seemed to us like a fair amount. We did not totally eliminate it for those two knowing that more than just the cabin stewards get the money. It should be noted, as is the case with a lot of people, we did individually tip for service during the cruise as well. They did ask us why we wnated to reduce it and I just told them there were four of us in the cabin and tipped along the way. Was not made to feel bad about it at all.

I'm glad to see that you felt it was worth your time to save 4 dollars. Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe u don't understand the amt of work that goes into 1/2 day cruises and the amt of cabins that they have to attend to.

It like a hotel, they prefer to rent the room to u for 2/3/4 nights so they don't have to change the sheets

If you are offended by the $12 a day then either stay with Disney or look into camping.

Sorry but I do not understand why you adjusted the amount down just because you had four people in a room. Didn't the room steward have to make up additional beds each day? You can justify the reason for yourself any way you like but you come off as just being cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I admit I am perplexed about the multitude of threads whining about the 12.00 per person per day charge. Although I now pretty much stick exclusively with NCL, when I previously cruised on RCL, Princess and Celebrity back in the days before gratuities were auto added to your bill, it never occurred to me not to tip the waiter, asst waiter, maitre d etc. I mean, even back when I was in my 20's, I would religiously read the guidance and follow it. But from the number of threads I've read here complaining that the 12.00 a day is soooo much more than other lines, when in fact I think all of the other lines now either impose or recommend the same amount, I cannot help but wonder if people really were so cheap that they would just ignore the guidance and stiff the servers, or so oblivious that they didn't bother to read the guidance, or what. Now that the other lines also impose the gratuities automatically, and they all are at between 11.00 and 12.00 dollars a day per person, what do these folks do when they are on other lines? I don't quite get it.

Terry

Sorry but I do not understand why you adjusted the amount down just because you had four people in a room. Didn't the room steward have to make up additional beds each day? You can justify the reason for yourself any way you like but you come off as just being cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You don't have to understand it. It was our decision not yours. also the fact that YOU consider it to be cheap is 100% irrelevant and was not used at all in making our decision. We did what we thougt and still think was appropriate. You are free to do the same.

I'm glad to see that you felt it was worth your time to save 4 dollars. Really!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually it was $28, and using that absurd amount of exclamation points was, well, childish. You are free to adjust your fees as you see fit. What we chose or choose to do is of no concern to you.

Actually it was $28, and using that absurd amount of exclamation points was, well, childish. You are free to adjust your fees as you see fit. What we chose or choose to do is of no concern to you.

Seeing that you posted it it sure does allow myself and others to express their opinion.