transatlantic cabin choice

steelhead1

We are planning to book the Oct. 31st 2015 transatlantic on the Silouette. We are looking at a port side cabin midship or a sunset veranda. What are the pros and cons to an aft cabin on a westbound TA?

Personally a port side cabin on the angle is better than the aft cabins in that ship. The balconies are much larger.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

If the sea is rough and you are prone to seasickness you might wish you had not chosen an aft as there would be a lot of movement. Otherwise it would be a great cabin and watching the wake is mesmerizing. A port side cabin will give you more sun.

We are planning to book the Oct. 31st 2015 transatlantic on the Silouette. We are looking at a port side cabin midship or a sunset veranda. What are the pros and cons to an aft cabin on a westbound TA?

When you book come join us on the roll call.

This is our first TA, and we booked Port mid ship deck 11, hopefully we won't smell cigarette smoke that high up. I believe port side is the smoking side, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

It's a long walk to get back aft, so if you have any mobility issues, I would stay somewhere on the hump, whether you get one of those large balconies on the angle or not.

The smoking section on the port side, Deck 5 (sunny side of the ship during a Westbound Transatlantic), but if you are up high, you probably won't be affected.

Here's the link to the Roll Call. Come on over and introduce yourselves. Most of the folks on the Roll Call are very experienced cruisers, so if you have any questions, someone will be able to help or give you some good advice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2007569

It's a long walk to get back aft, so if you have any mobility issues, I would stay somewhere on the hump, whether you get one of those large balconies on the angle or not.

The smoking section on the port side, Deck 5 (sunny side of the ship during a Westbound Transatlantic), but if you are up high, you probably won't be affected.

Here's the link to the Roll Call. Come on over and introduce yourselves. Most of the folks on the Roll Call are very experienced cruisers, so if you have any questions, someone will be able to help or give you some good advice.

We were on the hump on the Equniox TA , on deck 9 port side, get to see sun raises and sunset , no problems with smoke

Personally a port side cabin on the angle is better than the aft cabins in that ship. The balconies are much larger.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, I had an angle portside balcony on the Silhouette in 2012, and we loved it. We booked another for this year sailing Nov 1. The extra big balcony is nice - you can get sun if you want it, or move back and stay in the shade.

We had a cocktail party with 7 people and there was still plenty of room. The only problem is now we are spoiled:D

Dave

We were on deck 10 and it wasn't a problem at all.

Dave

Personally I think it is a no brainer regarding which cabin to take for a TA. Take the Sunset Veranda. On TA's there is more wind than normal, making cabins on the sides almost unbearable at times because of the wind. Some people that have never been in a SV say you can only see the view from the back, untrue-you see the back and each side as in a balcony on port in starboard you see only one view! I was on the Silhouette last November and had a SV and loved, loved it! Also some of the SV balcony's are really large, all larger than a norm balcony cabin.

Linda

Edited by dallascruiser

Personally I think it is a no brainer regarding which cabin to take for a TA. Take the Sunset Veranda. On TA's there is more wind than normal, making cabins on the sides almost unbearable at times because of the wind. Some people that have never been in a SV say you can only see the view from the back, untrue-you see the back and each side as in a balcony on port in starboard you see only one view! I was on the Silhouette last November and had a SV and loved, loved it! Also some of the SV balcony's are really large, all larger than a norm balcony cabin.

Linda

Point taken, however in my TA research weather and conditions are unpredictable so cabin choice is best case scenario

We've got our 2nd TA in Oct/Nov on Equinox. Definitely weather conditions are unpredictable but we prefer the aft location because we don't have a problem with the long walk and we don't have issues with motion. We had 20' seas last time and it was definitely rocking and rolling but you felt it everywhere, so midship wouldn't have made any difference, I don't think.

We choose the corner S1s because everything is bigger but we have sailed in the regular aft balconies and love those too. We don't need a huge balcony, just enough for two chaise loungers and a couple of footstools and a table. We recently had a hump balcony which was larger than normal balconies (deeper) but it could have been normal sized too and we'd have been ok. Typically we don't want sun - much much prefer shade, and so does my skin!!

TAs are fun. We weren't sure after the first one if we'd do another but we signed up because of the itinerary and we love the ship so there you go.

Have a great time!!!!

I thought that there wasn't a roof on the sunset verandas. It rained everyday the week I spent in one on the Solstice - making the veranda useless!

SV's are covered halfway just like regular verandas! So you can be in the shade or sun, all SV's are like that!

Linda

It's always windy whether it's cold, hot or high seas!

Linda

We were on Reflection crossing the pond last year making around 18 knots. There was an 18 knot following wind, so we virtually had little to no wind at the Sunset Bar during Happy Hour. It was a great crossing. :)

SV's are covered halfway just like regular verandas! So you can be in the shade or sun, all SV's are like that!

Linda

The SV's back aft are tiered as the decks go down and partially covered. A regular veranda is covered by the size of the veranda above.

I had an SV on the 2012 Westbound TA on Silhouette. (6310 - bed near balcony) Balcony was a good size - the second largest (find a picture of the stern - you'll see which ones are wider than others)

But the soot - every sea day - was horrendous. That said though, once I'd done the daily cleaning, it was a lovely place to sit and watch the wake.

Soot.jpg.da024440b906b572ac8484001651f4cc.jpg

6310.jpg.2d1134a2f91d3f441822b70818ccff36.jpg

We did a transatlantic last autumn on RCCL (Independence of the Seas), in an aft cabin. Absolutely loved it! There were some big swells (Force 10-12 winds, waves of 8-10m) which we definitely felt, but in my case it helped me sleep really well :-) The view of the wake was mesmerizing, especially with nothing else in sight, and the morning sun was lovely. (Once we hit the warmer weather, it was so nice to eat breakfast on our balcony!) Really, I've been spoilt, I'm not sure how I'll manage a regular veranda in the future :-)

By the way, I know it's the wrong ship/line, but I have a few photos from our transatlantic here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40714197&postcount=320

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk, please excuse wonky autocorrects.

Edited by BearsAhoy

• 1 month later...

One thing to be aware of on a Westbound TA is that you will get lots of sun on the Port side. We did a Westbound TA on the Port side and were blinded by the sun. If you want to read on your balcony, use a tablet or Kindle, I think the Starboard side is better.

Remember the old POSH acronym? Port Outbound, Starboard Home. That was for UK travelers to India during the days when there was no air conditioning.

One thing to be aware of on a Westbound TA is that you will get lots of sun on the Port side. We did a Westbound TA on the Port side and were blinded by the sun. If you want to read on your balcony, use a tablet or Kindle, I think the Starboard side is better.

Remember the old POSH acronym? Port Outbound, Starboard Home. That was for UK travelers to India during the days when there was no air conditioning.

On a westbound TA, port side all the way, if you do not have the sun it is too cold to sit on the balcony to read