Divina is beautiful but probably needs a good sanitizing asap

chers2031

YIKES. I hope its still not floating around on the ship but I swear that is the same symptoms as all of us. We literally number in the hundreds who got this however most everyone came down with it on disembark day or the day after. One girl was in the hospital for 7 days and after tons of testing and being pumped full of antibiotics, they still couldn't get a solid diagnosis. They finally sent off her blood work to another facility and it was determined that she had Human Metapneumovirus. Apparently testing for this particular virus is not widely available. It is a close relation to the bird flu and mild symptoms can appear as a bad cold with head and chest congestion, fever, sore throat ranging all the way to severe symptoms which mimic severe pneumonia. :-/ I still have cough and chest congestion. :( Wish it would go away!!!

Here it is about one month later from me getting sick on the Divina and I still have what folks here at work are calling my "cruise cough". It is certainly not as bad as it was when I first got sick while mid-way through my March 15th cruise on the Divina but it is still with me. I know it will eventually fade away as it is already doing but it is still noticeable. I had a fever for 5 days straight but never felt like the flu...If it was the flu, it was a mild case cause I never felt like I couldn't get out of bed. I have been on 25 cruises and this was the first time I have ever gotten sick and I hope it is the last. Hope all in your group are feeling better!

More info to come, but I just disembarked and have to say that the Divina has to be the cleanest ship afloat. I was amazed at the constant cleaning that is performed constantly. The ship is spotless and I am looking forward to returning in the fall. I honestly don't want to sail with anyone else!

Everything was pressure washed nightly and squeegeed constantly. Incredible staff. Amazing drink prices when you pre-book your drink packages.

AMAZING SHOWS!!!

A class act cruise and staff in every regards.

I am sure that cruise snobs will always find petty faults. For me, I can't wait to return in the fall!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

More info to come, but I just disembarked and have to say that the Divina has to be the cleanest ship afloat. I was amazed at the constant cleaning that is performed constantly.

If you read the thread I don't think anyone said the ship was dirty. I also found DIVINA extremely clean (as I mentioned in my review) but then I do with most cruise ships. This being said it didn't stop me from getting the flu and a bacterial infection in my eye and ear that my doctor feels is probably from the pool onboard (perhaps not chlorinated enough but who knows?). Anyway it would not stop me from sailing on DIVINA again as these things can happen on any ship.

Noro-virus for instance does not discriminate. It attacks ships that even have a 100% USPH score and on every economic level, luxury to mass-market. Once a virus type illness starts spreading on a cruise ship such as noro or flu, it's very difficult to contain because it's so easily passed between people no matter how clean the ship is. All the measures the ships take help contain such viruses from spreading, but they certainly don't eliminate it.

Also this thread is not meant as an outlet to complain, but just to keep people informed that these things can and do happen and to be careful. Big difference!

There were obviously quite a few people that got sick on a fairly recent DIVINA cruise. Just saying to be careful and wash those hands, not even remotely suggesting not to sail on DIVINA.

If you read the thread I don't think anyone said the ship was dirty. I also found DIVINA extremely clean (as I mentioned in my review) but then I do with most cruise ships. This being said it didn't stop me from getting the flu and a bacterial infection in my eye and ear that my doctor feels is probably from the pool onboard (perhaps not chlorinated enough but who knows?). Anyway it would not stop me from sailing on DIVINA again as these things can happen on any ship.

Noro-virus for instance does not discriminate. It attacks ships that even have a 100% USPH score and on every economic level, luxury to mass-market. Once a virus type illness starts spreading on a cruise ship such as noro or flu, it's very difficult to contain because it's so easily passed between people no matter how clean the ship is. All the measures the ships take help contain such viruses from spreading, but they certainly don't eliminate it.

Also this thread is not meant as an outlet to complain, but just to keep people informed that these things can and do happen and to be careful. Big difference!

There were obviously quite a few people that got sick on a fairly recent DIVINA cruise. Just saying to be careful and wash those hands, not even remotely suggesting not to sail on DIVINA

way to go eroller....My Divina cough started on March 19th and I still have it to this day...albeit not nearly as bad as it was, but it is a constant reminder of my cruise :)...the Divina was an incredible ship. I stayed in an Oceanview Yacht Club suite so I am sure the germs have recirculated time and time again...hope nobody else is getting ill like the rest of us did!

way to go eroller....My Divina cough started on March 19th and I still have it to this day...hope nobody else is getting ill like the rest of us did!

We disembarked Divina April 19th. My wife fell ill the day before. She has a terrible cough and fever. The ship was very clean and beautiful. But, if the crew is sick, then what? More than one server was coughing. What is MSC's policy regarding sick pay?

Edited by neptuno

We disembarked Divina April 19th. My wife fell ill the day before. She has a terrible cough and fever. The ship was very clean and beautiful. But, if the crew is sick, then what? More than one server was coughing. What is MSC's policy regarding sick pay?

When we departed on the 22nd I felt like death walking off that ship...running a fever and a hacking cough but I never heard anyone in the three days that I was sick cough at all...there was a great ethnic mix of folks on the ship when I sailed so I am sure there was a smorgasbord of germs that I have never encountered in my life. I wonder how they can rid a ship of that size something that is airborne...correct me if I am wrong but noro-virus isn't airborne, it is a surface-based virus so what we had would be harder to rid from the ship?...I am not in the medical field so please correct me if I am wrong.

On March 11, 12, and 13 I came down with the flu, as I do every March. Yes I had a fever, very shaky, chills, aches, sore throat... To this day, I still have a slight cough.

On April 12th I sailed on the Divina and had a wonderful time.

I know that people that live in colder climates tend to take longer to recover. Thank God I am fortunate enough to live in a warm climate here in sunny Florida!!!

Now stop your whining everyone and get over it!!! You would have been sick anyways even if you hadn't submitted yourself to the warm temperatures of the Caribbean and back to your cooler climate!!!

ERRR....Well, it has been confirmed, as I am no longer in denial. I have been diagnosed with a case of the After-Cruise Blues Syndrome. The only known cure is to book another cruise on the same vessel in the fall. My prognosis is good and I have been told that as long as it is booked, I will immediately start to feel better!

Edited by thraak

....... We literally number in the hundreds who got this however most everyone came down with it on disembark day or the day after...... They finally sent off her blood work to another facility and it was determined that she had Human Metapneumovirus......http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/human-metapneumovirus/symptoms-diagnosis.html

If there is a widespread viral outbreak aboard ship, when does the CDC become involved? Or are they only required to report 'Noro'?

No outbreak. I think that due to the flu season, a couple of people got sick when they got home. Probably no more contagious than if they went to a supermarket or restaurant back home. I did speak to a safety inspector from Amsterdam that was onboard. He travels on all ships. We asked him how this ship rates. He said very very highly. He said just look around and take a look at the constant cleaning and sanitizing that the MSC crew are constantly performing.

Edited by thraak

If there is a widespread viral outbreak aboard ship, when does the CDC become involved? Or are they only required to report 'Noro'?

This also depends on *if* people actually go to the medical center and report whatever they have. If no one reports an illness there is nothing to report. In my circumstance, the symptoms of the flu and bacterial infection in the eye and ear did not start until the day we disembarked. Nothing to actually report on the ship.

That's when Northerners, and foreigners from colder climates come by the millions to the warm humid weather here, and bring their germs with them! The cold weather folk aren't ready for the humid warmer climate after leaving the cold!

When the 'snowbirds fly south, they bring their bugs' is an old saying in Florida! And if you're a Floridian, you know its this way every year!

But we love their tourist dollars!:D

The best/only protections are to get a flu shot, be lucky, and to stay away from crowds during this time, which is almost impossible to do!

CDC gets involved in GI outbreaks(that's diarrhea disease for us simple folk), above 2% of the total passengers on ship! For the Divina that's about 80 cruisers, not hundreds as someone here said!

If you got the flu, don't blame the ship, blame the passengers, that's where you got it from!:eek:

Hope everyone is feeling better!

Edited by American Bear

Hi Kat an Bear- Don't want to rain on your upcoming cruises. Just saying, MSC has it's ups and downs. Be perpared for overcrowding and flu, 4300 souls crammed into a 140K ton hull. Like any other big ship. But Divina, as pretty as She may be, is just another container ship earning her pay. Once was enough. Not even close to the original MSC "Mediteranean" experience aboard PoesiaUSA.

Couldn't disagree more..... Just sayin'.

Looks like it's the #1 ship on the homepage of Cruise Critic. Hopefully, MSC doesn't change a thing. Looking forward to a fall and spring sailing!!!

Hey thraak, glad you liked her. So did we the first time. But once was enough.

Sorry to hear. I'm just curious, if you were to take another cruise, is there a particular ship that you have in mind?

Sorry to hear. I'm just curious, if you were to take another cruise, is there a particular ship that you have in mind?

No regrets, MSC provided our family five great experiences at a great price, within driving distance of home. But our best cruise ever was with Norwegian aboard Sun, eleven days to Cartagena etal, and our kids really sailed free in a balcony for less than we paid for seven days aboard Divina. We are on a budget and 'kids sail free' makes our day. Occaisionally other lines offer '3rd and 4th sail free', like RCCL, NCL, Celebrity and even HAL. The MSC USA experience aboard Divina has become so American oriented and similar to Carnival that we will venture elsewhere. Also, Divina's itinerary is so limited at this time. Add to that the over crowding with long lines and jammed in dining, we would prefer a smaller ship. Having said that, price still matters, and I am watching for that great deal that will make our decision. Divina is not out, just way down on the list. Hopefully they will expand Divina's itinerary to include some exotic ports. I have my eye on CDF's Horizon, but that will require big airfare.

No regrets, MSC provided our family five great experiences at a great price, within driving distance of home. But our best cruise ever was with Norwegian aboard Sun, eleven days to Cartagena etal, and our kids really sailed free in a balcony for less than we paid for seven days aboard Divina. We are on a budget and 'kids sail free' makes our day. Occaisionally other lines offer '3rd and 4th sail free', like RCCL, NCL, Celebrity and even HAL. The MSC USA experience aboard Divina has become so American oriented and similar to Carnival that we will venture elsewhere. Also, Divina's itinerary is so limited at this time. Add to that the over crowding with long lines and jammed in dining, we would prefer a smaller ship. Having said that, price still matters, and I am watching for that great deal that will make our decision. Divina is not out, just way down on the list. Hopefully they will expand Divina's itinerary to include some exotic ports. I have my eye on CDF's Horizon, but that will require big airfare.

I have never been on Carnival so can you tell me why you say Divina is similar to Carnival?

I have never been on Carnival so can you tell me why you say Divina is similar to Carnival?

It seems that MSC USA has changed its focus to please the American mass market. Take for example those silly paper wrapped hamburgers under heat lamps in the buffet. In just two years the clientel has changed, and dress has degraded. Originally on Poesia, you never saw jeans or baseball caps in the MDRs, and a jacket at dinner was the norm. Now on Divina, you will see ripped and faded jeans and rarely a jacket worn to dinner, except on gala nights. While this will please some, it is not the flavor once found aboard Poesia here in the Carib. The Mediteranean allure has been greatly diluted.

I spent most of my time in the public areas with the exception of the main dining rooms. I never did see ripped jeans. Although I was not checking out what other men were wearing. I did see a few baseball caps, but unlike me, many middle aged men were not blessed with a thick head of hair. I do know that some men that are balding are self conscious and are more comfortable covering up their scalp. I say, more power to them as I am not judgemental.

While walking down a hallway, I did get a few lookovers from some miserable old geezer in his, "weekend millionaire" attire. I was comfortable in my polo shirt and casual Izod shorts. I knew not to venture in the main dining areas dressed as I was.

Class is not defined by the label within his suit. Does it make him classier because he has a balcony stateroom and mine was $299 per person? Again, just a "weekend millionaire", There will always be cruise snobs on every boat. I will be sailing again in the fall and spring. I will be so happy and he will still be miserably judging people instead of enjoying himself.

I was glad to see that 90% of the passengers were European and although those Germans can consume alcohol, they were respectful and conducted themselves in an ever so orderly manner.

You must remember that Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Lines, MSC, and many other cruiselines are filled with middle class people. Just remember that how you may or may not dress on "Gala Night" doesn't automatically grant you aristocratic status.

Edited by thraak

MSC is not like Carnival, no one is like Carnival unless you're on a private party cruise!

Carnival is for when you're ready to party, they advertise they're the 'fun' cruise!

Those individually wrapped hamburgers are a good idea, instead of the others lines piles of exposed meat sitting in pools of grease!

I spent most of my time in the public areas with the exception of the main dining rooms. I never did see ripped jeans. Although I was not checking out what other men were wearing. I did see a few baseball caps, but unlike me, many middle aged men were not blessed with a thick head of hair. I do know that some men that are balding are self conscious and are more comfortable covering up their scalp. I say, more power to them as I am not judgemental.

While walking down a hallway, I did get a few lookovers from some miserable old geezer in his, "weekend millionaire" attire. I was comfortable in my polo shirt and casual Izod shorts. I knew not to venture in the main dining areas dressed as I was.

Class is not defined by the label within his suit. Does it make him classier because he has a balcony stateroom and mine was $299 per person? Again, just a "weekend millionaire", There will always be cruise snobs on every boat. I will be sailing again in the fall and spring. I will be so happy and he will still be miserably judging people instead of enjoying himself.

I was glad to see that 90% of the passengers were European and although those Germans can consume alcohol, they were respectful and conducted themselves in an ever so orderly manner.

You must remember that Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Lines, MSC, and many other cruiselines are filled with middle class people. Just remember that how you may or may not dress on "Gala Night" doesn't automatically grant you aristocratic status.

Its no one else's business how you dress, what your status in life is, etc., they didn't pay for your cruise, and you owe them nothing more then a little condescending glance back!

With a polo shirt and izod shorts you'd be welcome at my dining room table!

Next time you meet an old geezer like that start laughing, and walk like a Penguin! He'll get the message!:D

As far as MSC goes, I've seen tank tops and shorts in the MDR of the RCL Allure, and no one said anything!:eek:

NCL/Carnival, you'll always see shorts and tank tops in the MDR!:eek:

Its no one else's business how you dress, what your status in life is, etc., they didn't pay for your cruise, and you owe them nothing more then a little condescending glance back!

With a polo shirt and izod shorts you'd be welcome at my dining room table!

Next time you meet an old geezer like that start laughing, and walk like a Penguin! He'll get the message!:D

As far as MSC goes, I've seen tank tops and shorts in the MDR of the RCL Allure, and no one said anything!:eek:

NCL/Carnival, you'll always see shorts and tank tops in the MDR!:eek:

Funny!!!

You know, last week I was on the ship. Had a great time. I have been posting alot of positive reviews because before I boarded, all I read were negative reviews. I don't want people to think that they are waiting to go on just a, "we'll wait and see" cruise. The pre-planning is just too much fun!!! I personally think that it was awesome and want to give credit where it is due......and I want to go back on the Divina in October and March!!!

You guys are right on. No argument here. Drop the price to $299 and every homeless guy in Florida can afford to cruise.

That was a pretty ignorant statement. Neptuno- we get it. You did not like your cruise on MSC for various reasons and you have no intention of sailing with them in the near future. Why you are still trolling this boards posting all your negative comments every chance you get is beyond me. But to each their own in how they wish to spend their day.

As for me, yes I did take advantage of the employee pricing and got a great deal for my cruise. I was on the Poesia last year- loved it and when the prices for the Divina dropped I took advantage of it.

For myself, I will wear a dress in the MDR or perhaps dressy capris and classy top on casual nights. Will I look down at others in how they are dressed, no- not my style, I was brought up a little better than to judge people on what they choose to wear.

This is why I'm going on vacation

-I deserve a week off - especially after the winter we had.

-I want to explore new countries- we are very fortunate to be able to vacation in other countries and explore new cultures and way of life. Many people do not get that opportunity in life.

-Meet new people. Love hearing about other peoples travel experiences. Will give me ideas for my next trip.

- I don't have to cook, make my bed, clean my place, do dishes, go to work, answer the phone, respond to email for an entire week.

- I get to try new foods, drinks and wines that I may have not tried before.

-I get to watch amazing shows every night and be in total awe.

- Enjoy the countless venues for entertainment

So, if a homeless guy from Florida comes up and sits beside me, let me buy him a drink and have a conversation with him- because everyone has a story to tell.

Looking forward to my cruise on May 10th

Edited by Laurnat