Bringing liquor home safely

jolyroger

For those that purchase alcohol either on the ship or from one of the islands, how do you get it home safely? I mean it was great when we drove to and from port ,but flying, a whole other thing..I've seen the inflatable wine/alcohol protectors in Bed Bath and Beyond but also have seen them sold on amazon as well different companies but similar and a bit cheaper...So what does everyone use..Any suggestions would be great!

For those that purchase alcohol either on the ship or from one of the islands, how do you get it home safely? I mean it was great when we drove to and from port ,but flying, a whole other thing..I've seen the inflatable wine/alcohol protectors in Bed Bath and Beyond but also have seen them sold on amazon as well different companies but similar and a bit cheaper...So what does everyone use..Any suggestions would be great!

We bring liquor home with us every cruise and typically we bring some of the small bubble bubble wrap, wrap the bottle once and then put either one of Bill's socks or a t-shirt around that and then put back in the cardboard box. We put the box in the bottom of our suitcase with clothes packed around and on top of the box. We have never had a problem or a broken bottle.

Hope this helps.

I've done as others before me have suggested. Last September, coming back from Vancouver, we had several bottles spread between 2 suit cases and lost 1 in each (shattered as though hit with a sledge hammer....).

Cruising in 6 weeks and plan to bring a few bottles back. Will use an idea learned here.... Will buy some kids 'arm floaties'. put Bottle in each and inflate a bit. Then put in large zip lock bag. Surround with clothes, etc.

Hope to get them home unbroken.

Good luck!

I've done as others before me have suggested. Last September, coming back from Vancouver, we had several bottles spread between 2 suit cases and lost 1 in each (shattered as though hit with a sledge hammer....).

Cruising in 6 weeks and plan to bring a few bottles back. Will use an idea learned here.... Will buy some kids 'arm floaties'. put Bottle in each and inflate a bit. Then put in large zip lock bag. Surround with clothes, etc.

Hope to get them home unbroken.

Good luck!

This sounds like a great idea and alot cheaper than the wine inflatable bags i've seen

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

Great tips so far! And we are bringing a smaller piece of luggage that will have just odds and ends in for the cruise...so basically on the way home it'll be close to empty,room for the fun stuff

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk

We have used "Bottle Armour". It's a very strong, reusable bubblewrap container for wine and other breakables.

One time I actually made cardboard sleeves for several wine bottles that I brought back from Rome. That was an interesting craft project.

A trick to sop up spills is to pack the bottle with a diaper or Kotex, in whatever you are wrapping it up with.

Edited by SadieN

If you purchase at Duty Free shops they should offer the "bubble armour" its like a bubble pouch for your bottle-works lovely. We just returned with 4 bottles that flew home with us in our checked luggage-nothing broke, nothing spilled.

Happy Sailing!!

If you purchase at Duty Free shops they should offer the "bubble armour" its like a bubble pouch for your bottle-works lovely. We just returned with 4 bottles that flew home with us in our checked luggage-nothing broke, nothing spilled.

Happy Sailing!!

I was wondering if they offered these...Now do they offer these on the ship? for the life of me I cant remember

Since we usually fly Southwest and your first 2 checked bags are free, we took an extra duffle bag and bought a roll of bubble wrap from Walmart. Then when packing to come home, we spaced out the liquor so none of our bags would be overweight and made sure it was all wrapped nice and tight surrounded by both the bubble wrap and clothes!

I brought home 12 Liters of Liquor from my last Valor cruise in September. I brought a roll of bubble wrap with me, wrapped each bottle and then distributed them between my wife and my suitcases wrapped amons clothes and towels. One bag was 49.8 lbs at the San Juan airport! Just under! No issues on the cruise ship or the flight home, and I still haven't even come close to drinking them all 8 months later! Just can't beat those liquor prices in St. Thomas & St. Maarten!!

just be careful with the added weight. The cost of overweight baggage will far out weigh the benefits of duty free liquor.

I always travel with a digital luggage scale to save me from having to do the sidewalk luggage bag shuffle.

I was wondering if they offered these...Now do they offer these on the ship? for the life of me I cant remember

Not sure on the ship as I ordered from Bon Voyage and didn't drink it all. We only opened one bottle and brought both home -I had mine with me from the last trip and purchased Duty Free at the port of San Juan (they gave them out free with purchase there).

I ordered a bottle of tequila from BV and never opened it (that's another story). So we just wrapped it up in clothing and it came through fine. That's a really expensive of home booze.

There are "wine diapers" that you can buy and we used going to the ship. They are like zip lock bags, but claim to have a padded and absorbing layer that will contain an entire bottle of wine.

I ordered a bottle of tequila from BV and never opened it (that's another story). So we just wrapped it up in clothing and it came through fine. That's a really expensive of home booze.

There are "wine diapers" that you can buy and we used going to the ship. They are like zip lock bags, but claim to have a padded and absorbing layer that will contain an entire bottle of wine.

Well I will have to google "wine Diapers" and see what I come up with!

Search 'wine diaper' on Amazon. I have a few of them and have flown with them lots of time. They work great and if a bottle does break (none so far. Knock on wood) they are filled with material that will absorb it.

I also have stuck each bottle in a sock and then put it in a big Ziploc and make sure they are in the center of the suitcase