Credit cards in Europe

drafj7

Some credit cards in the US do have chip and pin technology (my USAA Mastercard does) and many waive foreign transaction fees (Capitol One, Chase Mileage Plus Explorer card, etc.). You can easily find cards meeting these requirements by doing a Google search. It's quite handy having a chip and pin card, especially for transactions such as buying subway or train tickets, paying tolls, or buying gas.

In a small village near here, where there are a number of US people working on a site, the manager of the little shop knows to swipe a US card down the side of the machine, but warns that they often have young people, students and such, working shifts who may not have heard of this method; if any of you discover that you cannot swipe your card, their advice is to ask for a manager who should know about this.

In a small village near here, where there are a number of US people working on a site, the manager of the little shop knows to swipe a US card down the side of the machine, but warns that they often have young people, students and such, working shifts who may not have heard of this method; if any of you discover that you cannot swipe your card, their advice is to ask for a manager who should know about this.

The fact is that even the "manager" of the establishment is uninformed about the option- as happened to us in restaurants in England on two occasions last fall. We have since gotten a chip card.

That's not the case with my credit cards and debit cards (ATM card). When I use my Visa or MasterCard Credit Card (USAA), I get the interbank rate for the charge, and Visa/MasterCard charges 1% for the foreign conversion fee. So, when I get my statement, I get two line items - one for the charge (the interbank rate), and the other for the 1% conversion fee. Your credit card may be charging you more, but that's up to the bank you deal with.

I agree. I've never been charged 3%. Some are at 1%, some at 2%. I really don't see the need to get another credit card. I am certainly not spending enough money to warrant a separate card. Even if I spend $500 we are only talking a $5 charge. If I can afford that extra coke at the airport then I can afford the tiny fee. Now the exchange rate, that's a killer but since you have to pay that regardless of the card, again, I don't think the 1-2% is that big of a deal.

One thing I didn't see pointed out. Normally in the US when a place takes Visa, they take MasterCard. No so in Europe. With that thinking my DH and I went out to dinner and the place took Visa. I presented my MasterCard to pay the bill and boy am I glad I got cash from the hotel before we left. Lesson learned - read which card they actually take.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I agree. I've never been charged 3%. Some are at 1%, some at 2%. I really don't see the need to get another credit card. I am certainly not spending enough money to warrant a separate card. Even if I spend $500 we are only talking a $5 charge. If I can afford that extra coke at the airport then I can afford the tiny fee. Now the exchange rate, that's a killer but since you have to pay that regardless of the card, again, I don't think the 1-2% is that big of a deal.

But many folks are spending much more than $500, if you think about a couple of nights in a hotel before your cruise, plus meals x no. of travelers, entrances of museums, payment of private tours, souvenirs, etc.

Keep in mind that even if you reserve and pay for some of this at home, they will still charge you the foreign conversion fee if you don't have a fee-free card.

However, as long as you are aware of the cost and if you are only planning on traveling outside the US once, then it's probably not worth switching....

Edited by cruisemom42

As has been mentioned, more and more banks are offering chip & pin cards. You normally have to call the customer service number and ask them. USAA has a chip & pin MasterCard they offer to their members. For some reason, they don't have a VISA. All of the USAA cards charge a 1% foreign transaction fee.

Capital One also offers both Visa and MasterCard without any foreign transaction fees. Capital One does not currently offer chip and pin cards.

For my upcoming trip to Europe, I have a Capital One Visa and a USAA M/C chip and pin card. I plan to use the Capital One card for most purchases but have the chip & pin card to use if needed.

As many have mentioned, make sure you let your credit card companies and bank for the ATM card know every country that you are visiting. Don't forget about any cities that you have lay overs in. You never know if you want to purchase something in an airport and need to use your card so you don't have to get local currency for just that location. Another thing that many people don't think about is to increase your daily withdrawal limit on your ATM card. Many banks limit this to $300 / day. Depending on where you are travelling and how much cash you are using, it can be inconvenient to have to go to an ATM more frequently.