Tentative Itinerary given to us by TA

We are still mulling over changing the connecting flight. He asked the TA to see if we can request a golf cart for Charlotte, thinking that might help speed things along. So I guess we are in a holding pattern at the moment.

Our itinerary is becoming very permanent :)

As far as the golf cart in Charlotte, while I haven't arrived internationally in Charlotte, have arrived internationally in quite a few airports and they all involved multiple airport levels in traveling from the gate to immigration/customs and then back up to the departure level. Certainly have seen wheelchairs as they use elevators between the various levels but, not golf carts which generally only operate on a single level.

That being said, highly doubt a golf cart will be available to speed you thru Charlotte and expect you to be using a wheelchair which most probably will be slower than most of the passengers on your flight

Still believe that having Regent change your connection to the 10 PM flight will be most convenient least stressful, and cost effective but, only you and your grandfather can make the final decision.

Sarah change that connecting flight! Don't risk it....

Because it's an issue of connection time, I do not believe there will be any charge to push your connection to the next flight. I agree with RallyDave you are going to he in a wheelchair not a golf cart....

I for one believe the chances of missing your connection is a real issue....

Don't delay in making the change, you will miss your window of opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

All -

So you're telling me I'm going to have to be in charge of both of our checked bags, plus both of our carryons while we wheelchair Grandpa through Charlotte through immigration and customs??? that doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

oh well.

All -

So you're telling me I'm going to have to be in charge of both of our checked bags, plus both of our carryons while we wheelchair Grandpa through Charlotte through immigration and customs??? that doesn't make a whole lot of sense!

oh well.

You won't have luggage when you go through passport control. When you pick up your luggage there will be luggage carts at no cost (at least there have been at every U.S. point of entry we have been to).

Also, instead of listening to all of us speculate based on experience and what we find on some peoples websites, here is a link to the U..S. Customs and Border Patrol Website. You can pick a date range and take a look at average wait times. You and your grandfather would be on the low end of the spectrum because he will be in a wheelchair and you will be at the front of the line. I've basically read that there are not a lot of international flights going into that airport and it isn't big. Hope this is helpful:-) http://awt.cbp.gov/

Thanks Nana, I think ultimately we will change that connecting flight.

You don't really have a lot of time, sounds like Regent is booking your tickets and once booked there could well be a fee to change.... I would make any changed immediately and not wait.

I just feel the stress of such a close connection is not worth it.

Edited by nana541

Our TA offers us meet & greet and they take care of you going to the gate and on return getting you through customs and immigration. We are relatively young but it really expedited our airport experience. Worth the extra $$.

We allow ourselves plenty of connecting time as too many things can happen with weather and flight cancellations. We never fly in the same day on our cruises. If you are taking a luxury cruise spring for biz class and lounge access for peace of mind and personal service.

Just checked the regent website. For this trip, they are offering business class for $499 each way. That is an incredible deal. Almost unheard of. You really need to take it. If your grandpa can afford regent, he can afford $499 each way to upgrade to business class. It is worth way more than that!

Just checked the regent website. For this trip, they are offering business class for $499 each way. That is an incredible deal. Almost unheard of. You really need to take it. If your grandpa can afford regent, he can afford $499 each way to upgrade to business class. It is worth way more than that!

ABSOLUTELY!!!

You will be VERY GLAD you upgraded for a VERY GOOD price!

DO IT NOW before it's too late!

That is a fantastic price. I have access to AA Sabre and cannot find that fare. I would grab it in a heart beat. Cruise lines have better biz and F/C fares. Being trapped in coach on a long haul going on a luxury cruise would not appeal to me. On domestic short haul, I can live with it.

If grandpa needs special assistance, why make him fly coach? We don't have buckets of money either. We use miles or our ticket consolidator to fly premium class. The fare you were quoted with Regent is unbeatable.

Grandpa scoffed at the $175 deviation fee. He's certainly not doing the $500 for biz class....

The only reason he can "afford" this cruise is because he sold some land, so he pocketed that money and left a small amount for this cruise. Nothing extra.

Grandpa scoffed at the $175 deviation fee. He's certainly not doing the $500 for biz class....

The only reason he can "afford" this cruise is because he sold some land, so he pocketed that money and left a small amount for this cruise. Nothing extra.

Not going to give you another "oh, you should/must" upgrade comment, Sarah. You've made his position clear. I guess that's up to grandpa, since he's paying. Could be that he is able to take you on this trip because he has been wise with his money all along, and can do it now, and will keep that mindset. Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks, or something like that.

I only fly biz class these days because I use ff points and go free, book early, and hoard points carefully. Not because I can't, but just won't pay those fares. But takes awhile to build up those points. It is a really good upgrade price, though! Particularly in the past couple of years. I can't count all the times I've been in the back of the plane going to Europe. And I've used upgrade prices maybe once or twice. If he's never been up front, he doesn't know what he's missing. lol, I'm traveling to CA next week on Southwest, and no biz class there that I know of. About same flight time as east coast to Europe. It will be fine, because it is in the morning.

I fly out of IAD often, as it is often the only choice I have for award travel, given I have a small regional airport. I have also flown into Charlotte after international travel. No matter what time you leave Dulles, the flight is not long enough to get much sleep anyway, so you just have to tough out those hours with the layover, as your body will think it is the middle of the night. I don't know how old grandpa is, or you, but you both will be tired. I get to my embarkation port at least one, if not two days early on every cruise just to get myself back to normal when possible. Can't do that without a deviation when using Regent air.

Or pay for your own air and get the credit. I've done that, too, for my adult children to avoid paying an extra fee to get them in and out out of BWI instead of IAD, avoiding steep Regent charges when you are not flying from a "gateway" city.

The concerns of others about your return flight, and time to change planes should be telling you something, however. If what Nana says is right, and her suggestion it may be too tight, or actually an "illegal" itinerary (meaning not enough time due to regs). Worth a try to at least call your TA to explain it will be difficult to get him around. If not, on you to pay that fee, if you want peace of mind about this.

Wishing you good luck and a wonderful cruise.

Remind Grandpa "he can't take it with him!"

Biz class would be the icing on a wonderful cruise!

Remind Grandpa "he can't take it with!

Ted C you are right about that!! LOL your comment made me laugh. He hasn't traveled much due to various medical issues so I guess we will see how this trip goes. Maybe he will want to go somewhere next year. ;)

Sometimes you can't teach an old dog new tricks, or something like that.

Wishing you good luck and a wonderful cruise.

Thanks for your kind words and insight. You are right. Can't teach an old dog new tricks ;)

I myself am new to the whole cc points flying thing. Hubby and I only ever used Amex blue and used our measly points for dining gift certs. Bc we don't have the money or time off work to travel as often as we would like (a reason why I am currently getting my masters and hubby is finishing his bachelors) Our friend convinced us to switch the chase sapphire preferred so that is what we have now - esp since we can put a few of hubby's tuition payments on it for the time being. So I'm using that as a way to slowly build up points bc we are poor and don't spend that much LOL. So I'm hoping next year we will have enough for at least 1 plant ticket to Europe/Baltics to visit his sister and brother in law while they are stationed there (BIL works for USAID). Supposed to be kiev but could be Madagascar for 1 year due to conflict in Ukraine. At any rate. That is what our cc is for.

Still contemplating the connection time tho I just talked to gramps and he said he is still mulling it over. I asked him to ask TA how much time we have to make that decision to change the connection.

Also - does anybody know when they give us seat assignments? It's not listed on the itinerary and while I know the TA made a notation of his request for an aisle seat. I won't believe it until we have it in print on paper (this TA has seriously been the worst)

Sarah,

Understand fully how all this new fangled stuff is confusing and not necessarily fair. As far as seat assignments, since you are flying coach, believe for BA you will only be able to get your seats assigned when you do on-line check-in 24 hours prior to departure. BA has an extremely convoluted seat assignment system and I have done some research and it appears the 24 hours prior to flight would cover you since you are flying coach and don't have any BA status.

As far as usair, you may or may not get your seat assignments when the flights are booked at the 60 day mark. At that 60 day point highly suggest you get your booking code for the usair flights and either go into the usair site or phone usair to check on your seating and change, if necessary to the seats you prefer.

Realize this isn't what you wanted to hear but, it is what it is. Did a bit of research and did find a possibility that will help and get you the assistance you need along with perhaps an early seat assignment. BA needs to be notified of your grandfathers needs and if they agree, you will get the wheelchair/cart help at the airport and on your flight with early seat assignments. Hopefully Regent will notate that when they finally book your flight and much like usair, once you have your booking number at the 60 day mark, you contact BA to make arrangements or have the inept TA do this for you.

Hope this all makes sense and if you have further questions or need help, please contact me thru my link. Good luck and have a wonderful vacation.

Regent books seats for you on British Airways (actually they do for all airlines that they book for you). Although BA is one of the few carriers that charges for seat selection (quite a hefty amount) if you book in advance, since Regent books seats for you it is easy to change them -- if you wish to do so. Agree that if BA knows in advance of your grandfathers need for a wheelchair, they will have one waiting at Heathrow and at your final destination. Perhaps your TA is capable of letting the airlines know if the wheelchair requirement. There is really nothing further you have to do unless you want the final flight changed. Once that is complete you can relax and let Regent take care of you from there:-)

Note: Rallydave -- I know what it says on the BA website and you quoted it correctly. However, since we have flown with them numerous times, we know that Regent does book seats and therefore there is no charge to the passenger - even if you want to change them.

Edited by Travelcat2

Note: Rallydave -- I know what it says on the BA website and you quoted it correctly. However, since we have flown with them numerous times, we know that Regent does book seats and therefore there is no charge to the passenger - even if you want to change them.

No argument but, are you sure that works for coach as well. Know that anyone can get Business/First Class seats assigned at purchase and since you don't fly coach just wondering if Regent is able get coach seats in advance or pays the upcharge for coach passengers?

If so, that is a good thing and a plus for Regent. Thanks for your kind correction.

No argument but, are you sure that works for coach as well. Know that anyone can get Business/First Class seats assigned at purchase and since you don't fly coach just wondering if Regent is able get coach seats in advance or pays the upcharge for coach passengers?

If so, that is a good thing and a plus for Regent. Thanks for your kind correction.

They charge for seats in both coach and business class. You have to be a member of their Executive Club with loads of points to be able to book seats in advance without a fee. Regent books seats -- it doesn't matter what class seat you are flying in (at least it doesn't matter on BA).

Thanks guys! Your tips have been very helpful! I have some travel experience but not much since I don't travel very often...(last time I flew someplace was Minnesota in August for a wedding)

The travel agent is closed this weekend but Grandpa plans to speak with them on Monday to clarify seat assignment situation and whatnot.

4 weeks until I can really hone in and focus on this stuff/packing/shopping for new clothes....10pg paper on tap for this weekend and here it is 2pm and I haven't started. In my defense i've had a sinus infection since Sunday and pink eye since Wednesday and the antibiotics are finally starting to kick in :)

Mom is at the beach with my dad and their friends so she get a mini vacation break from all of this TA flight and travel insurance discussions with my grandfather. hehehe. :D

From my own experience in travelling with my Dad through Heathrow - I booked our own Business Class flights on BA last year for our October Med cruise on Voyager. Returning from Venice (through LHR) to Phoenix, the BA itinerary included (just) a 45 minute layover connection on our arrival from Venice to our departure flight to the U.S. At the time I was reviewing possible flights (from Venice back to Phoenix) I said, "Hmmm?", when I saw that short connection time at LHR. But I really liked the fact that we had a Noon departure out of Venice, rather than the normal 6AM departure for most of the other flights.

My own career experience, which included hundreds of international flights over 30 years (with many through LHR) told me that a 45-minute connection would be very "tight" and very optimistic, to say the least. But it was presumably a "legal" connection, since it was right there on BA's website and available for ticketing. The fact that we were also flying Business Class (which sometimes means the airlines will "try a little harder" for you at the gates) convinced me to go ahead and book that itinerary.

Our Venice flight arrived on-time (actually, about 5 minutes early) at LHR. Upon getting off the plane (one of the first off), I quickly found a BA service desk (manned by an athletic young employee holding a wheel chair). I showed him our (Business) boarding passes and told him I needed some help for Dad, who was clearly not up to a "sprint" to the departure gate for our next flight. The BA rep told Dad to "sit down (in the wheel chair) and hold on tight", he told my DW and I to "keep up and don't stop for anything". His fellow BA employee at the service desk called the departure gate and told them she had "3 Business passengers on a tight connection who were on the way".

We proceeded to run, and I don't mean "walking briskly". I forget how many security checkpoints, elevators, and miles of corridors we blew through, following that young man from BA pushing my Dad's wheelchair - all to catch a "legal connection". Thankfully, we didn't have to go through customs (but we did have to go through carry-on Xraying and a "pat down".

The "bottom line" is that we simply would NOT have made that next "legal" connecting flight at Heathrow without BA's kind assistance. They closed the plane doors about 5 minutes after we sat down. And......one of my suitcases missed the connection. I didn't get it delivered to our house (in Phoenix) until 24 hours later (actually, a knock on our front door at 2AM). Regards to all.

Sarah's concern (or one of them) is that she only has a 95 min connection time between Arriving into the US from Europe at Charlotte NC and connecting to her domestic flight home.

So we are not talking about short connecting times in Europe. But rather is 95 minutes enough time to go thru Customs & Immigrations with Grandpa and all luggage & carry ons in tow. Recheck bags and depending on what reviews and info you believe (Flyertalk, etc) still make it to their connecting flight.

I need to go back and see if the international flight and domestic flight is on same airline or at least a partner airline which will allow for transferring bags and not needing to recheck them.

Also found conflicting info as to whether they will need to go thru security again, I think they will but have found it both ways in researching this.

Edited by nana541

Thanks guys! Your tips have been very helpful! I have some travel experience but not much since I don't travel very often...(last time I flew someplace was Minnesota in August for a wedding)

The travel agent is closed this weekend but Grandpa plans to speak with them on Monday to clarify seat assignment situation and whatnot.

4 weeks until I can really hone in and focus on this stuff/packing/shopping for new clothes....10pg paper on tap for this weekend and here it is 2pm and I haven't started. In my defense i've had a sinus infection since Sunday and pink eye since Wednesday and the antibiotics are finally starting to kick in :)

Mom is at the beach with my dad and their friends so she get a mini vacation break from all of this TA flight and travel insurance discussions with my grandfather. hehehe. :D

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well. Hopefully you can rest a bit this weekend. Keep in mind that the TA may have no clue whether or not Regent books seats. Only TA's who regularly book luxury cruises - and have booked Regent previously tend to know what is going on. Regulars on this board could probably write a book relating stories of misinformation given to people by their TA's. Unfortunately, even if she calls Regent, she may not get the right answer (unless she has a specific person that she regularly deals with).

Somehow this is getting more complicated than it needs to be. The only real issue is whether Regent should be asked to book the later flight so the connection time is longer. I'm personally not worried in the slightest about seats, your hauling luggage at the airport (since you'll have use of a cart), etc. I'm sorry that your mother and grandfather are going through a lot of unnecessary aggravation.

Feel better!