Appropriate Crew Gifts?

emeraldead

I could not watch kids get severely slapped and cuffed. If you weren't going to help why didn't you just leave?

Sheesh -- a little less judgement please. You weren't there. :mad:

We were a small group of Americans (10) with no other tourists in sight. We were waiting for our bus to come and pick us up. What should we have done, walked off into the desert?

It was certainly an uncomfortable situation. But no good -- and possibly some bad, for the two kids -- could have resulted from any intervention.

Sheesh -- a little less judgement please. You weren't there. :mad:

We were a small group of Americans (10) with no other tourists in sight. We were waiting for our bus to come and pick us up. What should we have done, walked off into the desert?

It was certainly an uncomfortable situation. But no good -- and possibly some bad, for the two kids -- could have resulted from any intervention.

I would have been horrified and turned or left if I couldn't or wouldn't go help. I certainly couldn't have watched. I can't even watch shows or movies with violence against children since I became a mom. My teens beg me to watch the Hunger Games and I can't even watch that with them.

It's certainly good of you to warn the rest of us of what not to do so this does not happen again when someone is actually doing something that they think is nice and thoughtful.:)

Oh K then!:D

Sorry - I just feel that some of the extreme left wings out there have created many of the very problems that they even complain about. Years ago when I was a kid, teachers and principals at school were actually allowed to discipline and punish students - and then you had to worry about what was going to happen at home! And no, I'm not talking about abuse here, I'm referring to even simple spankings or a belt across the butt. Now schools even teach kids that their parents cannot do anything to them to correct their behavior. Again, I'm not condoning abuse by any means, but these kids have it in their heads that even a spanking deserves a call to 911 or CPS.

Sorry - I just feel that some of the extreme left wings out there have created many of the very problems that they even complain about. Years ago when I was a kid, teachers and principals at school were actually allowed to discipline and punish students - and then you had to worry about what was going to happen at home! And no, I'm not talking about abuse here, I'm referring to even simple spankings or a belt across the butt. Now schools even teach kids that their parents cannot do anything to them to correct their behavior. Again, I'm not condoning abuse by any means, but these kids have it in their heads that even a spanking deserves a call to 911 or CPS.

Ya but the story WAS about abuse.

Sorry my bad for going off topic.

Give cash, cash is best, can't imagine why cash would not be an appropriate gift, everyone can use cash, when given cash the crew can send it home or spend it, oh ya, and cash is king!

Ok, now we're back on topic! Carry on.;):D

Ya but the story WAS about abuse.

I understand that it was about abuse from our perspective. Their religion and culture may not view that as abuse. I would also stay out of the situation unless their lives were in immediate danger. Getting involved may have had even worse consequences for them later. Point being is that on Egyptian soil, what is acceptable or not and what is legal or not may be completely different than what is normal or legal in other cultures. We have no business assuming that we as Americans are always right.

Oops - and back on topic again....

Edited by A2Mich

I understand that it was about abuse from our perspective. Their religion and culture may not view that as abuse. I would also stay out of the situation unless their lives were in immediate danger. Getting involved may have had even worse consequences for them later. Point being is that on Egyptian soil, what is acceptable or not and what is legal or not may be completely different than what is normal or legal in other cultures. We have no business assuming that we as Americans are always right.

Oops - and back on topic again....

Actually, you did make several comments in support of what I call child abuse, and then softened to now direct to a cultural perspective. Not to mention your blatant political perspective. Now you offer to go back on topic. You are the one who got way, way, way off topic, my friend, and it was most inappropriate.

Actually, you did make several comments in support of what I call child abuse, and then softened to now direct to a cultural perspective. Not to mention your blatant political perspective. Now you offer to go back on topic. You are the one who got way, way, way off topic, my friend, and it was most inappropriate.

So spanking a child is abuse? Beating a child to where they have welts and bruises, most definitely. Spanking? Hardly. I was trying to originally state that getting involved in a culture's affairs when different from our own may not be in anyone's best interest. Sorry, but I have children who listen to me - not the kids who sass back to their parents all the time because some whacko teacher or educator says that parents can't discipline them. That's exactly why the younger generation behaves the way they do - because various civil rights groups have put in their heads that they have various rights. Sorry, but they have no rights until they are 18 and live on their own and take care of themselves. As long as they live under my roof, they live under my rules. Not all kids behave under the "Take a 5 minute time out now little Johnny and think about what you did" mentality. Besides, I do not have to defend my opinions to you in any way, shape, or form. If you don't like my opinion, please feel free to read on past it. I was going back on topic because the other poster that I was discussing this with had said the same thing about going back on topic as well.

Edited by A2Mich

So spanking a child is abuse? Beating a child to where they have welts and bruises, most definitely. Spanking? Hardly. I was trying to originally state that getting involved in a culture's affairs when different from our own may not be in anyone's best interest. Sorry, but I have children who listen to me - not the kids who sass back to their parents all the time because some whacko teacher or educator says that parents can't discipline them. That's exactly why the younger generation behaves the way they do - because various civil rights groups have put in their heads that they have various rights. Sorry, but they have no rights until they are 18 and live on their own and take care of themselves. As long as they live under my roof, they live under my rules. Not all kids behave under the "Take a 5 minute time out now little Johnny and think about what you did" mentality. Besides, I do not have to defend my opinions to you in any way, shape, or form. If you don't like my opinion, please feel free to read on past it. I was going back on topic because the other poster that I was discussing this with had said the same thing about going back on topic as well.

You continue to take this thread off topic by replying in this way. Please let that be your last post in this thread unless you are replying to comments about gifts for the crew.

I agree with those who say cash is best.

You continue to take this thread off topic by replying in this way. Please let that be your last post in this thread unless you are replying to comments about gifts for the crew.

I agree with those who say cash is best.

Good point. I'm done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And that is ALL you needed to post. Of course you're entitled to your opinions but they have NOTHING to do with the situation Cruisemom42 encountered or the subject of this thread.

And that is ALL you needed to post. Of course you're entitled to your opinions but they have NOTHING to do with the situation Cruisemom42 encountered or the subject of this thread.

Once again, I'm done - and back on topic. To anyone who finds my personal opinions offensive, too bad. I will not apologize for my views, right, wrong, or indifferent. No more posts from me on this topic - I have dropped it to get back on topic and discuss appropriate gifts for crew members.

It's nice that you think this, but the reality is quite different.

When I was on a land tour in Egypt, two of my tour mates were teachers who had brought (on suggestion of others) some things to give the children who will persistently beg from tour groups. They brought pencils, crayons, notebooks, erasers, etc.

Well, they gave them to two children outside a restaurant near the pyramids at Giza. They were horrified when the children ran back to the older woman who was "watching" their efforts to show her. She tossed the items on the ground and proceeded to severely slap and cuff the kids for not bringing back cash. It was tough to watch but our guide told us not to intervene.

I would never give anything except cash, if in that kind of situation. Other items are best distributed through local charities that know the right group/school/organization to work with.

Just think - you can't eat pencils or crayons. You can't buy food w pencils or crayons. Of what use to them were the pencils?

They are begging because they need the money.

Also, child discipline norms are different in different cultures. You might not like it but you can not change it.

DON

Some school staff rooms keep a book of classic student howlers.

I sometimes wonder if a book is kept below decks of 'most inappropriate gifts from cruisers'. It could also include 'funniest things left in cabins'; 'silliest questions asked at Guest Services'; 'most inventive reason for removing gratuities'; - this could be a comedy goldmine!:rolleyes:

There's a multi volume version of that in your local ER and on each floor in the hospital