Appropriate Crew Gifts?

emeraldead

I hear that giving gifts to your service crew is common and welcome, either at the start or end of the cruise, in addition to the tips.

What gifts would actually be welcome? I prefer giving things that will be useful and I believe crew have very limited storage space. Is it preferable at the start or end of the cruise? Who do you give to?

If there's a link to an existing thread about this, please feel free to link!

Liz- 1st Time Cruiser

Why do you go to work? Is it for gifts? NO! It's for MONEY! Give them cash...and let them decide HOW to spend it. They have no room for "trinkets"...and while they will smile and say "Thank you"...they are working, away from their families for MONEY. Give them more money. Don't give them "gifts"....just give them the equivilent of cash that the trinket would cost.

I wonder how many folks purchase gifts for the housekeeping staff in a hotel? Or, in a restaurant? Why do folks think it's appropriate on a ship?

Edited by cb at sea

I hear that giving gifts to your service crew is common and welcome, either at the start or end of the cruise, in addition to the tips.

What gifts would actually be welcome? I prefer giving things that will be useful and I believe crew have very limited storage space. Is it preferable at the start or end of the cruise? Who do you give to?

Liz- 1st Time Cruiser

What is this thing wth gifts. Never heard of such a notion. Isn't the posted gratuities enough? For absolute superior above and beyond service I may leave a twenty on the dresser but that's it. If you get really great service from your waiter, assistant waiter, a bar tender, a massage person do you shop for a nice candle for all those people? Frankly, I have a lot more things to do ashore than shop for gifts for the crew. We don't even shop for our own kids.

Liz- 1st Time Cruiser

Imagine hearing from your employer that, because they want a more personal relationship with you, they will give carefully selected gifts instead of a cash bonus. Say a new pair of slippers, or some matching bed linens.

Why do you think the cabin stewards and dining room stewards are there: they may be friendly and helpful, but they do not serve you and clean up after you because they like you : they want pay - in dollars - nothing else.

Where did you hear this?

It's not common and may or may not be welcome(though of course they will be polite to your face).

The best gift you can give is to write their name and describe their great service provided on your end of cruise comment card.

Positive feedback to their supervisors can lead to more desired hours and duties, raises and promotions.

You've been on lots of cruises. The last 10 or so, I have asked our room steward what they would like. They always say a written comment expressing that they exceeded expectations in providing outstanding service.

This last cruise, our room steward was such a sweet lady – I chatted with her at length. She did a fabulous job and went above and beyond on several occasions. I kept asking her if there was anything I could do for her. After much coaxing, she finally told me that it would be a tremendous help for her if I could pick a few things up for her at the store. I wrote a list of everything I could think of that she could possibly need – I told her to circle what she wanted me to pick up for her. She kept saying "oh no ma'am – this is not necessary." We had a private driver for the day, so we just had him stop at a local supermarket and pick things up for her. I picked up everything on the list for her. She was expecting to pay me for the items – but we gladly gave them as a gift.

She got tears in her eyes – and said that it takes so much time and money to get off the ship and get transportation to the store. She said she was so appreciative – because her next break that was four hours long – she would be able to sleep – instead of shopping for items she needed.

I totally agree that cash is definitely the best tip. But, I will continue to ask if we can pick up items while we are off the ship if we have a great cabin steward.

The only thing that I have given besides cash is a small chocolate bar wrapped with cash. You can not go wrong with cash.

You can also not go wrong with chocolate. My opinion!

Also as a Canadian, please leave cash in the one currency they can most easily use and that is US dollars. Shame to give them a relatively small amount of any other currency and then they have to pay conversion. (We pay lower fees when we can buy all our currency at once.)

Why do you go to work? Is it for gifts? NO! It's for MONEY! Give them cash...and let them decide HOW to spend it. They have no room for "trinkets"...and while they will smile and say "Thank you"...they are working, away from their families for MONEY. Give them more money. Don't give them "gifts"....just give them the equivilent of cash that the trinket would cost.

I wonder how many folks purchase gifts for the housekeeping staff in a hotel? Or, in a restaurant? Why do folks think it's appropriate on a ship?

Very, very well said. I was thinking of writing something very similar myself!

You've been on lots of cruises. The last 10 or so, I have asked our room steward what they would like. They always say a written comment expressing that they exceeded expectations in providing outstanding service.

This last cruise, our room steward was such a sweet lady – I chatted with her at length. She did a fabulous job and went above and beyond on several occasions. I kept asking her if there was anything I could do for her. After much coaxing, she finally told me that it would be a tremendous help for her if I could pick a few things up for her at the store. I wrote a list of everything I could think of that she could possibly need – I told her to circle what she wanted me to pick up for her. She kept saying "oh no ma'am – this is not necessary." We had a private driver for the day, so we just had him stop at a local supermarket and pick things up for her. I picked up everything on the list for her. She was expecting to pay me for the items – but we gladly gave them as a gift.

She got tears in her eyes – and said that it takes so much time and money to get off the ship and get transportation to the store. She said she was so appreciative – because her next break that was four hours long – she would be able to sleep – instead of shopping for items she needed.

I totally agree that cash is definitely the best tip. But, I will continue to ask if we can pick up items while we are off the ship if we have a great cabin steward.

I think you are unaware of what you did...

You are in a position of authority over your cabin steward in the sense that you can make or break your earnings for this cruise and a complaint from you to her supervisor about her performance or attitude could lose her job. So, you pressured her by repeated requests until she caved. The tears were likely stress since she was hoping you would forgot and she won'tbe in this awkward position. You put her between a rock and a hard space and you want kudos? You should have respected her enough to listen to her the first time.

Yes - cash is king. Forget key chains, homemade stuff, leftover MDR deserts, chocolate, etc, etc. These folks work hard with the hopes you will give them extra cash, not trinkets or snacks. If you must give something other than cash, make it positive feedback and an effort to treat the staff with some grace. Making a shopping list for someone you don't know still has me scratching my head.

You can also not go wrong with chocolate. My opinion!

)

Unless they do not like chocolate, they are allergic to chocolate, they are allergic to the stuff that is in chocolate such as nuts, they are diabetic, or one of many other things.

I would dearly love to be a mind reader when people give them the crappy gifts that they give.

As has been mentioned previously - money talks and a good rating on the crew review cards also talks. Everything else is worthless junk.

DON

I think you are unaware of what you did...

You are in a position of authority over your cabin steward in the sense that you can make or break your earnings for this cruise and a complaint from you to her supervisor about her performance or attitude could lose her job. So, you pressured her by repeated requests until she caved. The tears were likely stress since she was hoping you would forgot and she won'tbe in this awkward position. You put her between a rock and a hard space and you want kudos? You should have respected her enough to listen to her the first time.

Sorry, I don't see it this way at all. The poster did something very nice for her steward and she appeared to be very grateful. I don't see how you can turn a good deed into something sinister. I'll bet the poster gave her extra money at the end of the cruise too, like most of us do. The stewards can't get off on every cruise and I know they appreciate a special food item now and then. I've done the same thing on many long cruises where you get to really know your steward or waiter. How can a good deed end up so negative??

Sorry, I don't see it this way at all. The poster did something very nice for her steward and she appeared to be very grateful. I don't see how you can turn a good deed into something sinister. I'll bet the poster gave her extra money at the end of the cruise too, like most of us do. The stewards can't get off on every cruise and I know they appreciate a special food item now and then. I've done the same thing on many long cruises where you get to really know your steward or waiter. How can a good deed end up so negative??

The cabin steward said "no, thanks" repeatedly When someone tells you "no" and you keep at them until they do what YOU want, that is about your needs, your need to control, your need to feel good about your behavior.

Besides the poster didn't even pick up these items..she had her driver get them and thus didn't even experience shopping for routine items in an unfamiliar country. Can you imagine the panic when the bags of items was presented and the cabin steward frantically trying to calculate if they had the money to pay? Then the poster waves her wand and insists it is all a gift? The poster thinks she has made the cabin steward's day but truth, is the poster created much unnecessary anxiety.

The cabin steward said "no, thanks" repeatedly When someone tells you "no" and you keep at them until they do what YOU want, that is about your needs, your need to control, your need to feel good about your behavior.

I agree. Shopping for your steward strikes me as feel-good act, especially considering that they specifically declined the first time. Just because someone is from a Third World country and makes 1/10th of the US minimum wage, doesn't mean that they want or even need charity. It's far better to treat them with dignity, and give an extra tip and a handshake of appreciation. (Women can probably get away with a hug, if they so desire.) Write a short thank-you note if you feel the above is not enough; at least it'll give them hard-copy evidence of good work to show to their boss.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I'm sorry...this may hiss off many but who cares.

I can see that cash is the best gift. But as the giver, if I want to give something else I will. It is a GIFT from me (us) to them. If they don't want what I give they can either leave it in the cabin or give it away. Heck, they can throw it overboard for all I care.

It also gets old hearing people say "They work hard and for long hours." From what I understand, getting a job on a cruise ship is not necessarily an easy thing to do. I doubt they went into it expecting to make mid-six figures. They knew the pay would be low and the hours long. My father-in-law spent over 50 years going to sea (last 20 as Chief Engineer). He was gone at least half the year and (according to him before he passed away) the typical work day was 10-12 hours for most of them...even when the shifts overlapped. He survived and didn't have people filling out WOW cards for him or leaving him chocolates.

Beside, I work hard for the money I have and am using to buy them a gift. I can always just keep that extra money or spend it on myself if they have a complaint about the EXTRA I am doing for them.

Blast away...

I'm sorry...this may hiss off many but who cares.

I can see that cash is the best gift. But as the giver, if I want to give something else I will. It is a GIFT from me (us) to them. If they don't want what I give they can either leave it in the cabin or give it away. Heck, they can throw it overboard for all I care.

Beside, I work hard for the money I have and am using to buy them a gift. I can always just keep that extra money or spend it on myself if they have a complaint about the EXTRA I am doing for them.

Blast away...

Not blasting, but then why give it in the first place?:confused:

If you want to give extra, why not just add the price of something, they don't want or need, to any cash you might give? They won't throw cash overboard.:D

Not blasting, but then why give it in the first place?:confused:

If you want to give extra, why not just add the price of something, they don't want or need, to any cash you might give? They won't throw cash overboard.:D

I look at it the same as being invited to a party. I usually bring a gift for the hostess...maybe a bottle of wine. Using the logic of "cash is always the best gift" I should just stick a couple of twenties in a envelope and hand it to the hostess while saying "I was too lazy to get a real gift...go buy yourself something dear." :eek:

I look at it the same as being invited to a party. I usually bring a gift for the hostess...maybe a bottle of wine. Using the logic of "cash is always the best gift" I should just stick a couple of twenties in a envelope and hand it to the hostess while saying "I was too lazy to get a real gift...go buy yourself something dear." :eek:

Are you saying that you see no difference between the relationships you have with a friend who invites you to dinner and a total stranger ( from the third world) who works on a cruise ship to serve you dinner, make your bed, clean your toilet, etc.?