Alaska staying warm w my ELECTRIC BLANKET

luv2gamble

This is true, we lived in Madison, WI for a few years, and that was during our first Alaska cruise! People in WI would put shorts on once temps hit 35 degrees! :eek:

So true! Im in ny and used to the cold but I hate the cold too lol

OP -- do consider taking sunglasses to Alaska! You may have sunny days ashore, but you may also have sunny days at sea (glare off the water) or on a glacier, esp. if you do a helicopter or dog sled excursion. But they were the one thing I've never needed in Glacier Bay (overcast & misty) but it might be different for you.

sunglasses is now added to list..ty

I would add sunscreen and mosquito repellant to this list. You can still get burned even if you're standing on snow. I've seen many references to a mosquito problem there' date=' even though I didn't notice any (and I tend to get bitten in the summer here in LA).[/color']

Is this range Fahrenheit or Celsius? Maybe someone saw 25 listed and didn't realize it was Celsius, which would make it 77 Fahrenheit.

Really, mosquitos in Alaska in May...hmm...gotta pack it lol...hate bugs too! No, they were talkn 25 fah...they were saying how much they were freezing so much..but good thought, u never know:D

really appreciate everyones help..ty all

Just to whet your appetite for Alaska (made me so envious!)

Also, we took the little packets of bug spray wipes and only used them once.

Easy enough to put in jeans pocket, though. Check sporting goods places.

http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/photos-of-alaska/

http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/photos-of-alaska/

This is true, we lived in Madison, WI for a few years, and that was during our first Alaska cruise! People in WI would put shorts on once temps hit 35 degrees! :eek:

Well....maybe if it was sunny and no wind :D

My daughter went for a walk today in shorts and short sleeved t-shirt....it was 54°. Since we are dropping down to the 40's again next week - she just wanted to enjoy the "warm" weather ;)

Really, mosquitos in Alaska in May...hmm...gotta pack it lol...hate bugs too! No, they were talkn 25 fah...they were saying how much they were freezing so much..but good thought, u never know:D

One of the reasons we picked May was that there are less bugs than later in the season. And typically drier - we figured the colder temps wouldn't bother us that much.

Don't remember bugs on glaciers :D Carried the bug wipes but really don't remember where the one place was we used one. Want to say it was further north up on the tundra. May may be early for them, anyway, but they take up no room in a jeans pocket....just a little flat foil packet. Come in a box of twelve, I think.

Another thing I always take on cruises and had forgotten about was nasal spray since sometimes the cabin air seems dry. Don't always need it. Think chapstick was mentioned.

Don't remember bugs on glaciers :D Carried the bug wipes but really don't remember where the one place was we used one. Want to say it was further north up on the tundra. May may be early for them, anyway, but they take up no room in a jeans pocket....just a little flat foil packet. Come in a box of twelve, I think.

Another thing I always take on cruises and had forgotten about was nasal spray since sometimes the cabin air seems dry. Don't always need it. Think chapstick was mentioned.

Never heard of bug wipes, I have bug spray in can. Where do you buy them?

Columbia jacket with omni heat or omni heat vest with wind proof jacket underneath. headband (Columbia with omni heat), wind proof gloves (or better yet, mittens that you could put a disposable hand warmer into if you really feel you need it). Microfiber running shirt (1/4 zip best), Microfiber tights, jeans, smart wool socks & sneakers with good tread design (not Keds). Sunglasses, sunscreen & bug juice. Heaviest item is the jeans. That'll get me through 0+10F without a problem. Have a ball, you don't want to waddle, or drag heavy stuff thru an airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Never heard of bug wipes, I have bug spray in can. Where do you buy them?

Usually sporting goods or outdoor sections of places like Target, K-Mart, Walmart, Academy. Even some of the larger grocery stores in my area (Midwest) have them over with bug sprays. I know Off is one brand we've used. You might even find them cheaper online. They surely beat carrying a can and it's easier to apply on face, neck and arms.

I just remember seeing the advise to take precaution against mosquitoes...that was ten years ago we went on the cruise so I don't remember anything more than seeing this over and over again. Maybe guide books. As I said, I didn't get bit on that trip, but I was attacked by plenty of insect critters on my honeymoon in Kauai, and that was on top of an allergic reaction to some field (sugar?) being burned. So maybe there's a problem in the areas of Alaska where there's a lot of moisture such as Ketchikan.

Columbia jacket with omni heat or omni heat vest with wind proof jacket underneath. headband (Columbia with omni heat), wind proof gloves (or better yet, mittens that you could put a disposable hand warmer into if you really feel you need it). Microfiber running shirt (1/4 zip best), Microfiber tights, jeans, smart wool socks & sneakers with good tread design (not Keds). Sunglasses, sunscreen & bug juice. Heaviest item is the jeans. That'll get me through 0+10F without a problem. Have a ball, you don't want to waddle, or drag heavy stuff thru an airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just googled omni heat, never heard of it before. They look nice and found dicks sporting goods has them. going to ck it out. ty

Usually sporting goods or outdoor sections of places like Target, K-Mart, Walmart, Academy. Even some of the larger grocery stores in my area (Midwest) have them over with bug sprays. I know Off is one brand we've used. You might even find them cheaper online. They surely beat carrying a can and it's easier to apply on face, neck and arms.

I just remember seeing the advise to take precaution against mosquitoes...that was ten years ago we went on the cruise so I don't remember anything more than seeing this over and over again. Maybe guide books. As I said' date=' I didn't get bit on that trip, but I was attacked by plenty of insect critters on my honeymoon in Kauai, and that was on top of an allergic reaction to some field (sugar?) being burned. So maybe there's a problem in the areas of Alaska where there's a lot of moisture such as Ketchikan.[/quote']

I really never thought of bug spray for Alaska. Figured too cold. I will be packing this also...ty

I just remember seeing the advise to take precaution against mosquitoes...that was ten years ago we went on the cruise so I don't remember anything more than seeing this over and over again. Maybe guide books. As I said' date=' I didn't get bit on that trip, but I was attacked by plenty of insect critters on my honeymoon in Kauai, and that was on top of an allergic reaction to some field (sugar?) being burned. So maybe there's a problem in the areas of Alaska where there's a lot of moisture such as Ketchikan.[/quote']

Ah, so you are acquainted with the Hawaiian sand flea and the black Maui "snow".

Curiosity got the best of me so did an auction search for bug repellent towelettes and came up with several. What I've used is the Deep Woods Off ones but see they have a couple of other varieties. Hadn't known Avon made the towelettes for SkinSoSoft so I might consider those sometime (though likely will stick with what worked for us!) The SSS might smell a little nicer.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bug+repellent+towelettes&_sop=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l3201&_nkw=bug+repellent+towelettes&_sacat=0