Alaska staying warm w my ELECTRIC BLANKET

luv2gamble

Some of these have been mentioned but this would be (and has been) my clothing for cruises/ trips including helicopter flights and walking on glaciers. You'll usually have an idea of the forecast for the day of your excursion. (They did give us boots and had coats for those who needed something warmer so check with your excursion company re: those) You're in the NE so probably have most of these.

gloves (not thick or bulky, just something to keep fingers from being chilled) - these were in my pockets even when just on deck in case needed

wide headband (easier to pack than earmuffs and more versatile)

thin but warm socks

jeans (one year had the silk undies beneath but didn't really need)

camisole

long-sleeved tee (sometimes with an open shirt over that)

hooded zipped rain jacket lined with sweat-shirt fabric (now could probably find with thinner lining) (I also like to buy vests as souvenirs so Alaska was good place for doing that but sometimes pack one, too.)

laced walking shoes but not heavy boots

scarf that could be used around head /face/ or neck if needed

SUNGLASSES

Binoculars

Chapstick

Enjoy your trip to Alaska. Can't wait to go again.

Thanks for the list..going to copy and paste:D

Thanks for the list..going to copy and paste:D

lov2gamble: If you use the search function (hopefully it is operational) on the Alaska forum you should be able to find a number of packing lists for AK cruises. Approximately two years ago after someone completed their AK cruise they posted their original list, and then noted what they didn't need.

And for your information, May tends to be the driest month in southeast AK, but you will still need to bring a waterproof (not just water-resistant) outer layer.

The best item we took on our Alaska cruise was hand warmers. I think the brand is called Hot Hands and they sell them at Walgreens and other such places. It's the same general concept as your electric blanket(for your hand or feet) but not a fire hazard.

The day we went to the glacier we wore: jeans, shirt, sweatshirt, gloves, and hats. We were FREEZING, don't know the temperature but it may have been around 25. Thank goodness for the hand warmers.

Eventually I ended up changing into my swimsuit and watching the glacier from the sauna :)

The best item we took on our Alaska cruise was hand warmers. I think the brand is called Hot Hands and they sell them at Walgreens and other such places. It's the same general concept as your electric blanket(for your hand or feet) but not a fire hazard.

The day we went to the glacier we wore: jeans, shirt, sweatshirt, gloves, and hats. We were FREEZING, don't know the temperature but it may have been around 25. Thank goodness for the hand warmers.

Eventually I ended up changing into my swimsuit and watching the glacier from the sauna :)

Thanks Northern and Lerin...appreciate the help. I told someone b4 that i was told the temp was around 25 and they didnt think so at all. Many people told me very cold 25-28 degrees....thanks again

Layers - yes

big winter coat - no

layers are key, but the right layers are very important. I wore microfiber tights instead of silk long johns. Gloves are a yes and maybe )a hat or headband to cover your ears. Shirt layering is personal preference. I went w/a long-sleeved t on glacier days, then a sweatshirt. My top layer is always a thin and oversized (to go over layers easily) waterproof (not water resistant) jacket. A zip up fleece could be used instead of a sweatshirt.

This was me on Glacier Bay day (silk thermals - top and pants, t-shirt, blouse, long pants, two pair socks, shoes, down jacket, wide headband over ears, gloves, and, oh yes, toe warmers inside my shoes). Later added my rain pants for a 3rd layer on my legs. Insulated mug in my hands had hot chocolate. Yes, I don't do cold......

s66ikp.jpg

Edited by Shmoo here

When I went through Tracy Arm in July, I was freezing. I wore an air activated back warmer (the ones you buy at the drugstore for back pain, one time use), hand warmers, gloves, and under armor base layer, a smartwool base layer, a fleece jacket, and a windbreaker jacket. I was still freezing!

I winter hike and snowboard, but standing there in the cold was difficult for me. The views made it worth it, but it all depends on how cold you get.

Electric blanket sounds heavenly, but as others have said the best view is on the public decks, not on your balcony. Besides the whole thing of whether they're allowed or not.

I told someone b4 that i was told the temp was around 25 and they didnt think so at all. Many people told me very cold 25-28 degrees....thanks again

In a word, the weather in Alaska is unpredictable! Check the forecast prior to your cruise, for last minute packing adjustments. We cruised Alaska in both June and September. My Gore-tex (Eddie Bauer) jacket w/ a hood, was perfect at all times. Very ightweight, and wonderfully windproof and waterproof. I was comfortable with it on deck and in port, wearing a medium weight sweater and jeans. Definitely pack gloves, particularly for your glacier day, and sunglasses.

Our helicopter excursion that landed on Mendenhall Glacier was spectacular and worth every penny! The 'moon' boots they provided were awesome. Enjoy your cruise! :cool:

Layers - yes

big winter coat - no

layers are key, but the right layers are very important. I wore microfiber tights instead of silk long johns. Gloves are a yes and maybe )a hat or headband to cover your ears. Shirt layering is personal preference. I went w/a long-sleeved t on glacier days, then a sweatshirt. My top layer is always a thin and oversized (to go over layers easily) waterproof (not water resistant) jacket. A zip up fleece could be used instead of a sweatshirt.

Many people are saying layers. so, long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt and raincoat. No winter coat? Basically, going by what people are saying you dress in 3 layers. I dont hear many saying a winter coat. i do have a waterproof jacket but its a light jacket. Dnk if that is good enough if I put a sweatshirt and long sleeve shirt under that? I am a sneaker person due to many foot surgeries. I was going to just bring 3 pairs of sneakers in case they get wet. Thinking about boots but the only time I think I will need boots is on the glacier but the helicopter people provide for that. What do you think?

In a word, the weather in Alaska is unpredictable! Check the forecast prior to your cruise, for last minute packing adjustments. We cruised Alaska in both June and September. My Gore-tex (Eddie Bauer) jacket w/ a hood, was perfect at all times. Very ightweight, and wonderfully windproof and waterproof. I was comfortable with it on deck and in port, wearing a medium weight sweater and jeans. Definitely pack gloves, particularly for your glacier day, and sunglasses.

Our helicopter excursion that landed on Mendenhall Glacier was spectacular and worth every penny! The 'moon' boots they provided were awesome. Enjoy your cruise! :cool:

Thanks for the info. See, you as the other poster said light jacket? Are you saying the same, 3 layers but NO heavy winter coat? BTW, you mentioned sunglasses. I would never think of that for Alaska. Is that because if its sunny their is a glare when cruising the glaciers or helicopter?

This will sound silly, but is the warmest option for limited space. Take a large trash bag -- the heavy black contractor sized ones are perfect. Get cozy in a fleece blanket/throw, and then slip the bag over your legs and feet, like a sleeping bag.

Its actually a survival technique, but we have taken them to outdoor events where it might be cold, drizzly or windy -- or all three. Takes almost no space and costs next to nothing.

This will sound silly, but is the warmest option for limited space. Take a large trash bag -- the heavy black contractor sized ones are perfect. Get cozy in a fleece blanket/throw, and then slip the bag over your legs and feet, like a sleeping bag.

Its actually a survival technique, but we have taken them to outdoor events where it might be cold, drizzly or windy -- or all three. Takes almost no space and costs next to nothing.

Everyone likes to people watch. They will see me and say "look at that piece of garbage" lol...you know, thats really not a bad idea at all. I would only be using it for a short time. ty

Thanks for the info. See, you as the other poster said light jacket? Are you saying the same, 3 layers but NO heavy winter coat? BTW, you mentioned sunglasses. I would never think of that for Alaska. Is that because if its sunny their is a glare when cruising the glaciers or helicopter?

The Gore-tex material being wind and waterproof makes the difference, it isn't a bulky winter jacket. (Don't just bring a lightweight 'spring' jacket). I can't see needing a down jacket or heavy coat on your cruise. You can google 'gore-tex'.

Regarding sunglasses, we certainly had some sunny days, even while in Glacier Bay. And a rare 72 degrees in Ketchikan on our September sailing was a very pleasant surprise! It was more overcast on our June cruise. We brought our swimsuits, and enjoyed the toasty Solarium on board the RCI Jewel. I'm not sure if NCL offers a covered pool area.

I am a sneaker person due to many foot surgeries. I was going to just bring 3 pairs of sneakers in case they get wet. Thinking about boots but the only time I think I will need boots is on the glacier but the helicopter people provide for that. What do you think?

We wore sneakers, except in the MDR for dinner each night. There was no need for boots in port, and those provided for the helicopter landing were perfect. You may want to check through the Alaska Ports of Call forum- there is at least one thread on what clothing weight to bring: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55. And again, check the temperatures for your cruise week before final packing. :cool:

The Gore-tex material being wind and waterproof makes the difference, it isn't a bulky winter jacket. (Don't just bring a lightweight 'spring' jacket). I can't see needing a down jacket or heavy coat on your cruise. You can google 'gore-tex'.

Regarding sunglasses, we certainly had some sunny days, even while in Glacier Bay. And a rare 72 degrees in Ketchikan on our September sailing was a very pleasant surprise! It was more overcast on our June cruise. We brought our swimsuits, and enjoyed the toasty Solarium on board the RCI Jewel. I'm not sure if NCL offers a covered pool area.

We wore sneakers, except in the MDR for dinner each night. There was no need for boots in port, and those provided for the helicopter landing were perfect. You may want to check through the Alaska Ports of Call forum- there is at least one thread on what clothing weight to bring: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55. And again, check the temperatures for your cruise week before final packing. :cool:

Thanks for all your help. Let me ask you something, how do you reply as you did in this case and quote again? Sometimes I want to reply to 2 posters and quote them both in the same reply. I see ppl doing that all the time.

Thanks for all your help. Let me ask you something, how do you reply as you did in this case and quote again? Sometimes I want to reply to 2 posters and quote them both in the same reply. I see ppl doing that all the time.

The Multi-quote function is just to the right of the Quote box, it looks like this ". Click on that and it will turn red, click there again on another post that you want to quote, and it will be red as well. Then just hit the Post Reply button, as you normally do (left side at bottom). You can preview your post by clicking on 'Preview Post' before submitting your reply. :)

p.s. I sailed on the Serenade, not Jewel, but they are RCI sister ships.

Edited by jmf123

The Multi-quote function is just to the right of the Quote box, it looks like this ". Click on that and it will turn red, click there again on another post that you want to quote, and it will be red as well. Then just hit the Post Reply button, as you normally do (left side at bottom). You can preview your post by clicking on 'Preview Post' before submitting your reply. :)

p.s. I sailed on the Serenade, not Jewel, but they are RCI sister ships.

Thanks, let me just try it using your quotes.....ok, appears good...what if someone has a large post and you only want to quote one sentence, how do you do that? sorry to bother you but seems u r a pro at this ;)

We were whale watching on open water from Juneau in shorts and t shirts in July. Were very fortunate that we had wall to wall sunshine for the whole cruise except when we called in at Victoria on the way back to seattle when it was a lot colder. It is in the lap of gods what the weather will be but we did go prepared with layers etc and fortunately we didn'need them.

Thanks, let me just try it using your quotes.....ok, appears good...what if someone has a large post and you only want to quote one sentence, how do you do that? sorry to bother you but seems u r a pro at this ;)

Just copy the entire quote, then put your cursor inside the quote and delete what you don't want. Put ..... where you delete text to show that you've changed it.

I just want to remind you to take into account where people live when they tell you what they needed.....New Mexico, Southern California, Florida etc. Those people are going to feel 50° much differently than someone from a colder climate. If you live where there is snow all winter, or like us this winter with many days below 0° or even below -10°, then 50° will not be so cold.

It is early spring here - so I have been playing close attention to what we are wearing outside - when temps are in the low 50's we are wearing long sleeves with a windbreaker over. With the wind blowing at our faces - that was about right, when the wind was behind us and the sun was out - that was too hot to be walking - we took off the jackets. One day I had on a dark colored shirt - with the sun shining on me while walking - even that felt too warm when we were in the mid 50's.

At 60-65° my youngest wore short sleeves, and shorts with tennis shoes. She is the warmest all the time - and we all know it - so that is another thing to consider - how is your "personal thermostat"?

We have been scratching our heads wondering how people could need a heavy winter jacket and long underwear:confused: But then again....I think maybe our idea of a "heavy winter jacket" is very different than others may be.

You can search weather sites to find average daily temperatures. I found temperatures for ON Mendenhall glacier.

I just want to remind you to take into account where people live when they tell you what they needed.....New Mexico, Southern California, Florida etc. Those people are going to feel 50° much differently than someone from a colder climate. If you live where there is snow all winter, or like us this winter with many days below 0° or even below -10°, then 50° will not be so cold.

It is early spring here - so I have been playing close attention to what we are wearing outside - when temps are in the low 50's we are wearing long sleeves with a windbreaker over. With the wind blowing at our faces - that was about right, when the wind was behind us and the sun was out - that was too hot to be walking - we took off the jackets. One day I had on a dark colored shirt - with the sun shining on me while walking - even that felt too warm when we were in the mid 50's.

At 60-65° my youngest wore short sleeves, and shorts with tennis shoes. She is the warmest all the time - and we all know it - so that is another thing to consider - how is your "personal thermostat"?

We have been scratching our heads wondering how people could need a heavy winter jacket and long underwear:confused: But then again....I think maybe our idea of a "heavy winter jacket" is very different than others may be.

You can search weather sites to find average daily temperatures. I found temperatures for ON Mendenhall glacier.

This is from wunderground - you can select a station that is closest to where you will be. Mendenhall Lake has the visitor center - this is for a lower elevation - so it would depend on where exactly the helicopter tour went.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/PAJN/2014/5/12/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar

OP -- do consider taking sunglasses to Alaska! You may have sunny days ashore, but you may also have sunny days at sea (glare off the water) or on a glacier, esp. if you do a helicopter or dog sled excursion. But they were the one thing I've never needed in Glacier Bay (overcast & misty) but it might be different for you.

I just want to remind you to take into account where people live when they tell you what they needed.....New Mexico, Southern California, Florida etc.

This is true, we lived in Madison, WI for a few years, and that was during our first Alaska cruise! People in WI would put shorts on once temps hit 35 degrees! :eek:

Some of these have been mentioned but this would be (and has been) my clothing for cruises/ trips including helicopter flights and walking on glaciers. You'll usually have an idea of the forecast for the day of your excursion. (They did give us boots and had coats for those who needed something warmer so check with your excursion company re: those) You're in the NE so probably have most of these.

gloves (not thick or bulky, just something to keep fingers from being chilled) - these were in my pockets even when just on deck in case needed

wide headband (easier to pack than earmuffs and more versatile)

thin but warm socks

jeans (one year had the silk undies beneath but didn't really need)

camisole

long-sleeved tee (sometimes with an open shirt over that)

hooded zipped rain jacket lined with sweat-shirt fabric (now could probably find with thinner lining) (I also like to buy vests as souvenirs so Alaska was good place for doing that but sometimes pack one, too.)

laced walking shoes but not heavy boots

scarf that could be used around head /face/ or neck if needed

SUNGLASSES

Binoculars

Chapstick

Enjoy your trip to Alaska. Can't wait to go again.

I would add sunscreen and mosquito repellant to this list. You can still get burned even if you're standing on snow. I've seen many references to a mosquito problem there, even though I didn't notice any (and I tend to get bitten in the summer here in LA).

Thanks Northern and Lerin...appreciate the help. I told someone b4 that i was told the temp was around 25 and they didnt think so at all. Many people told me very cold 25-28 degrees....thanks again

Is this range Fahrenheit or Celsius? Maybe someone saw 25 listed and didn't realize it was Celsius, which would make it 77 Fahrenheit.