Do you remember? Celebrity Nostalgia

C 2 C

Thanks Arno for starting this thread. So many memories! Our first cruise was on The Song of Norway in 76, and now the rest is history! (54 cruises later) We tried several lines and when we went on the Mercury in 99 we were blown away by the service and overall ambiance. Like low lighting in the MDR and the little cloth placemats on trays in the buffet.

We do notice some of the little things missing, but still think cruising is the way to go.

And on Infinity: Casual Dining Rodisio around S. America

InfinityValparaiso2007008.jpg

I LOVED the Rodizio on the Infinity around South America. The deletion of the Rodizio and the 50% price increase for Antarctica sailings is why we cancelled our B2B2B2B on Infinity this year:(

Many passengers got sick but only one passenger died. Tragic event related to the whirlpool but not widespread death.

http://www.oginski-law.com/news/193-million-awarded-to-celebrity-cruise-line-for-outbreak-of-legionnaires-disease-20060630.cfm

Never said there was widespread death but thank you for correcting me again....

I appreciate this thread. I had been thinking that what others see as complaining is really nostalgia.

Anyway, I fondly remember dessert carts, palate cleansing sorbet on formal night, and the way they used to wrap the lemon wedges.

• Like 1

I remember the afternoon sorbet march where the servers would appear with full suits and white gloves and serve sorbet on the pool deck in the afternoon.

Loved that! Had that on Mercury.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app - My next cruise - Equinox - B2B 6/2014

We just saw Mark Preston on both the Royal Princess and Emerald Princess. He is a genuinely nice guy. I emailed him about adding a specific song at his act (that I knew from a YouTube video he sings) and he immediately emailed me back and then performed it when he came on board the next cruise.

Amanda Reid was a class act. And I remember the docudrama The Cruise. The funny thing is that I had just returned from a long Celebrity cruise (Galaxy or Mercury, I forget which, and we cruised 15 weeks on those ships and the Century in just a couple years' time) and I had jet lag and was up in the middle of the night watching TV and that was on. It was a bit surreal to see Amanda on TV when I had just said goodbye to Amanda on the ship.

Do they still do passenger talent shows? I performed once in one (piano) and that was a thrill.

Princess has had a hold on us for several years now, but I'm always looking for an opportunity to return to Celebrity.

The blue hulls looked amazing.

My first cruise was on the "Sundream". It was like a tugboat with a pool. Mid 90s. At one port, we docked next to Galaxy, I thought that I would never be on a ship that big.

Good memories of Horizon, Zenith, and one of the last sailings of Galaxy. Sad that the ships don't dock Hamilton and St. George in Bermuda anymore. We've been back on Summit, but it just isn't the same.

As I can't share your memories, I still enjoyed reading every single post in this thread. Even googled for Fran Drescher's episode onboard :D

I hope you all know that you are in great luck to be able to cruise for such a long time! I hope in twenty years I will also be able to share my cruising memories :)

This is a picture of a Century Murano experience with Dominique Gamba, who according to a recent post, has left Celebrity. For years Dominique was responsible for standards in the specialty restaurants in the Celebrity fleet.

DSC01964.jpg

We sailed on the Norwegian Southward about 1989 for a three day trip, our first cruise, it was so much fun we still talk about it today. My co-workers actually gave me a small going away party because I was so thrilled about going. Good memory.

From Celebrity I remember the grand and glorious chocolate buffet on an Alaska cruise and the beautiful top deck midnight buffet on a Mexico cruise both on the Mercury (my all time favorite ship). In Alaska they served us clam chowder in sourdough bread bowls when we were cruising the glacier area. I also loved the string quartet.

Edited by 4seasidegal
Clarify

Does anyone remember a bar server named Grandville? He was with X for many years and is now retired. He would balance a tray of drinks on his head and walk around the pool or dance a conga line with them never spilling a drop.

I appreciate this thread. I had been thinking that what others see as complaining is really nostalgia.

Anyway, I fondly remember dessert carts, palate cleansing sorbet on formal night, and the way they used to wrap the lemon wedges.

The specialty coffee cart moving thru the MDR

Started cruising in 1982, moved to Celebrity in 1999 first the Mercury, then Horizon, Galaxy and Century. Did almost 2 months on the Century alone. They sold Zenith before we got to sail her. Have done the Infinity a lot. Moved off to Regent when Celebrity started the S class. Coming back to do the Eclipse TA this week and I know the experience will be vastly different than the Horizon, where after two days, you knew all the staff and they met your every need. These new ships are like the big splashy hotels in Vegas. The Century in her prime was like going to the Tropicana in the 80's where the dealers knew your name if you came more than twice a year. Thanks for all the pictures and memories. Threads like this are Cruise Critic at its best!