SCUBA in Grand Turk

operator542

There are actually 3 private companies, all on the same street, within a few steps of each other. All cruiselines end up using one of them. So when someone says don't use the ship's excursion, for here it actually can work out better as the ship's excursion includes the transportation (taxi), and still the 2-tank boat dive trip.

It's expensive to dive or snorkel here.

Grand Turk, and Turks and Caicos in general has excellent diving. In the 2013 Scuba Diving Top 100 Readers Choice Awards for the Caribbean and Atlantic region, T & C did very well.

Best Marine Environment

1. Turks and Caicos

2. Bonnaire

3. Cayman Islands

Best Macro Diving

1. Bonnaire

2. United States Virgin Islands

3. Cayman Islands

4. Turks & Caicos

Best Shore Diving

1. Bonaire

2. Curaçao

3. United States Virgin Islands

4. Cayman Islands

5. Turks & Caicos

Best Big Animals

1. Bahamas

2 Turks & Caicos

3. Belize

Best Advanced Diving

1. Tie – Bonaire and Cayman

2. Bahamas

3. Mexico

4. Turks & Caicos

Best Wall Diving

1. Cayman Islands

2. Turks & Caicos

3. United States Virgin Islands

There's a lot more, but those are the highlights.

Source:

http://www.scubadiving.com/photos/top–

100–readers–choice–awards–caribbean–atlantic

Even though I'm a passionate diver, I've never been to Grand Turk, but would do it in a heartbeat if I can ever get there. Just go, and I'm sure you'll love it!

Michael

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

We used Grand Turk Diving this last December while on the Carnival Breeze and really enjoyed it. Yeah, we had to pay for a taxi to get to their dive shop, but it wasn't that much. I think it was around $8 pp.

After the dives, they were able to drop us off from the dive boat right by the cruise terminal.

We would definitely use them again.

Saw a FB update from one of the ops there that they had 2 discover scuba students yesterday out in 40 ft of water and had visual on 3 humpbacks while below. So cool! I have heard the whales and dolphins while diving there, but have never seen them underwater. I think it was Blue Water divers... We have gone out with GT diving in the past. Has always been an adventure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Oasis was the worst dive operation we have experienced anywhere we have dived, and we dive a lot. Two weeks after we were there, one of their Discover Scuba students drowned. I'm surprised they are still in business. I wouldn't go near them!

Oasis is fine, but I'd prefer not to use them again as they need to cater to the cruise ship excursion.

I appreciate the comments about GT Divers and I have sent them a note to see what sites they typically do for cruise ship passengers.

Has anyone actually used (meaning, not "I heard this and that") Blue Water Divers?

Oasis is fine, but I'd prefer not to use them again as they need to cater to the cruise ship excursion.

I appreciate the comments about GT Divers and I have sent them a note to see what sites they typically do for cruise ship passengers.

Has anyone actually used (meaning, not "I heard this and that") Blue Water Divers?

We dove with Blue Water Divers in December of 2012. Loved it :cool: We were the only 2 divers in a small boat like the one pictured , with a DM. Great wall dives and operation !

P1020646.jpg

And a fantastic lunch at the Osprey Hotel

P1020655.jpg

We will be in GT on July 14 and my husband wants to dive with Blue Water. As of now he is the only person who has reserved and they won't go out without 2 people minimum. Hopefully someone else will contact them.

• 2 weeks later...

After a lot of consideration, we booked thru the ship in Grand Turk last week, and our experience with Oasis was pretty darn good. There were 3 divers, one DM and the captain who stayed on the boat. We used our own gear less the tanks and weights, and really only needed the boat and the guide. Figured we get less in Fla. It was actually a very nice day, and at no time did I feel they were cutting corners or slacking on the safety. We had a large boat for just the 3 of us and didn't need to swim out to it, nor haul gear from further down the beach. Or taxi.

so now having gone with GT diving and with Oasis, I would say for cruise ship diving on a short day in port, I would most likely go with Oasis again.

Thanks for the review. What was the site?

Dennis

Are you asking me what dive sites we did? Gorgonian wall was the first and Finbar was the 2nd. IIRC the depths were 75 and 55. Standard sea life, a few turtles, and we did see an octopus on the first dive and a small moray on 2nd. No dolphins or whales this time. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I went with the ship's excursion and it was Oasis Divers. The boat was crowded and the equipment was not very modern. It was convenient that their storefront is right behind Jack's Shack, one of my favorite bars, but personally I would not rush to use them again. I will try another company next time.

We just got back from Grand Turk and wound up using Oasis Divers, the first time I have used a ship's excursion for diving in 7 years. I'll offer our opinions / comments below, but as I know opinions are like a$$h....s (everyone has one), I'll qualify our dive experience so it can either match, or not match, your experience and what you are looking for.

Our experience: I'm a 30++ year diver who is a part time Divemaster (just for fun), so I consider myself (in the diving community) both experienced and knowledgeable. FWIW, experience and knowledge are NOT synonymous in diving, not at all. My dive buddy (now fiancee) has 150++ dives, is a frequent traveler (been to every continent and over 150 countries), is AOW/Nitrox - she is experienced but not extremely dive educated. We're South Florida residents who have a minimum of 25 dives per year (me, a lot more)...

Why Oasis and the ship's excursion? We simply wanted some shore-time (the boss wanted to shop) after the dives, and I read more than once that Blue Water has a lengthy surface interval / lunch spot... that would have eliminated the shopping / beach time. GT Diving had 8 divers on their 10/12 person boat, and that seemed like it might be crowded. So we took a chance with Oasis.. Again, we NEVER go with the ship's excursion...

Why so wordy with our qualifications? Well, because as divers we're a picky (and very opinionated) bunch.... Some will disagree with my review, and that's OK. But my review comes from a dive professional's viewpoint and is unbiased. If anything, I am biased towards NOT using an ship's excursion...

17 May 2014

Meeting with the excursion group on shore had me concerned... there were a lot of divers there... My first thought was "Cr@p, this is going to be a busy boat"... That concern was alleviated when I saw we had 2 dive boats. The check in was as efficient as can be with 25ish divers.

We each hopped in the boat for the 5 minute ride to the shop for gear checkout. With a ship's excursion group, I expected nearly everyone to need gear, and they did. Again, 25 divers, with probably 20 needing full gear. Three people were in the gear hut getting the equipment out.. Pretty efficient for the size of the group.

Each of the two boats left for their dive sites, and we went to different sites (very good call on their part). Our boat did Alien Nation and Connie's Reef. Our boat had mainly recreational divers, some of them well traveled (for diving), but no one hard-core (like us). Fortunately there were no air hogs on board and our bottom times were in the 55 minute range for the 55' and 65' dives (good for a recreational group). What I also thought they did well is that there were 3 DM's on board and our boat of 13 divers was broken up in to 2 groups of 6/7. I do not know if the other boat did that, but I did see they also had 3 DM's on board.

The DM briefings were good, thorough and professional, and for the most part the divers stuck to the plan. One diver in the other group got separated from the group, and the boat had to make an extra stop to pick him up - but at no point was he lost. 2 "inexperienced divers," a couple who probably never dives unless they are on a cruise (it was obvious by their lack of fitness and buoyancy control), tried to get on the ladder while someone else (me) was on it, so they received a gentle "safety scolding." But honestly I was pleasantly surprised by the adequate diving skills of 13 divers who are on a ship's excursion. Jason, Justin and the other DM (I am sorry I forgot his name) did a very good job of leading the dives...

So my take on everything? I think Oasis Divers did a nice job with a large group of divers. $129 pp, including all gear (except wetsuits) can't be beat (on Grand Turk). Podie above commented on the non-modern equipment... I agree and disagree, considering... New? No. Well maintained? Yes, surprisingly so considering how many divers go through their operation. I'll admit I used all of their gear except the reg (won't risk that) and it all functioned well.

So for hard core divers, and the internet commandos here who think they are hard core, I'd recommend Blue Water and /or GT divers. I am looking forward to trying Blue Water as I have heard wonderful things about them. We're back in Grand Turk in July and will try Blue Water. As for Oasis Divers, I have absolutely no problem recommending them for a novice or recreational diver, or anyone who just wants a simple dive. Are they a great and boutique dive operation? No. But they are a safe operation with well-maintained equipment and a good staff that can handle a lot of recreational divers.

Edited by SheepdogGriff

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

In doing a search about diving this thread came up. Although a year old I had a few questions.

1 does anyone know what company carnivals currently using for dives? I did book through the ship.

2 will we be well taken care of as newish divers? We have 8 logged dives and our first after certification were all in Tahiti and her islands. They were amazing with us there and now I feel spoiled.

3 does the ship excursion include gear rental? I'm unsure as to whether I should bring extra money and how much

Thank you all for your help!

Edited by AmR87

• 2 weeks later...

AmR87, when do you go? We are on the Glory sailing out of Miami on Jan 9. We are novice divers. At the moment, I have the ship's excursion booked, but but we may cancel and try a different company as we're looking for a smaller group with few divers per DM.

I think the ship uses Oasis.