Visa for Turkey

The definitive answer re: visas for cruise passengers can be found at this link

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/

and then scroll down to the 28th question "Do I need an e-visa if I am on a cruise ship?

If you cannot be bothered to do that then here is the answer :

"According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours."

I think that a visit to Ephesus from Kusadasi would fall into the category of "nearby provinces for touristic purpose."

I will have to contact Thomson/TA with regard to the visas, as we will be going into Marmaris then flying out of Dalaman airport the same day. Do I need a visa to depart Turkey?

Maybe just buy the visa and then not worry. It's a new rule and maybe TAs don't know about it yet. The waiver is designed for people who arrive and leave on ships.

Edited by Pushka
edot

We bought the visa on line for entry into Dalaman and then to the ship in Marmaris. We placed out visa with our passport and when entering Dalaman airport we passed through immigration. They looked at the passport and saw that we had a visa and waived us through. They never read the visa - could have been anyones - but this is the only time. When we visited Alanya as a trip from the ship we just walked into the town, no-one was there to check. We could have taken a taxi to anywhere! They don't seem to bother if the ship is only in the port for a day.

Just been contacted by Thomson to say that we need a visa for our Cruise from Harwich into Marmaris

That will be a repositioning cruise, flying home from Dalaman ?

Having read through this thread - if you are flying into/out of Turkey then you need a visa, regardless of which type of holiday you have booked.

The fact that you are only transiting to/from a cruise ship in Turkey is effectively irrelevant.

However, if you cruise starts and ends outside Turkey then no visa is needed for normal one/two day ports of call stops.

That will be a repositioning cruise, flying home from Dalaman ?

Having read through this thread - if you are flying into/out of Turkey then you need a visa, regardless of which type of holiday you have booked.

The fact that you are only transiting to/from a cruise ship in Turkey is effectively irrelevant.

However, if you cruise starts and ends outside Turkey then no visa is needed for normal one/two day ports of call stops.

Thats how i read it too, hopefully as I am off on Maj in August :confused: