Visa for Turkey

So it does ,thanks Terry.

It is confusing Dave , reading on the Turkish Visa Q&A part of the site ...

Do I need an e-Visa if I am on a cruise ship ?

You do not need a e- Visa if you will not leave the ship.

You do not need a e-Visa if you only tour in the respective port city of Turkey.

You do need an e- Visa if you do want to tour beyond the respective port city of turkey .

So people who decide to book a tour from a ship that's only visiting the port for the day could be caught out thinking they do not need a visa

when they do . That's unless your only touring the Town the ships docked in .

Yet others just having a walk around or a tour of the ships port do not need one.

As others have said on here "maybe for what the Visa costs" ..better to just buy one, to be on the safe side .

I think Thomson brochures should have printed on any page where Turkey is involved, whether as a home port or a visit, should have something on the lines of "as of --/--/-- you do need or you do not need a visa if you book this cruise." Then if anything changes after the said date, anyone with a booking or making a booking should be informed of the change. This really is a can of worms.

Just got off a cruise that stopped in Kusadasi last week, and took a taxi to Ephesus. The cruise line will hold your passport to be checked by the Turkish authorities.

I can confirm that no visa is required if you do not stay overnight.

Also think about it, if you can enter the port city with no visa how do the port authorities know if you take a trip to Ephesus, they don't follow you around to check.

Just got off a cruise that stopped in Kusadasi last week, and took a taxi to Ephesus. The cruise line will hold your passport to be checked by the Turkish authorities.

I can confirm that no visa is required if you do not stay overnight.

Also think about it, if you can enter the port city with no visa how do the port authorities know if you take a trip to Ephesus, they don't follow you around to check.

You'd need to overnight to do that. Also if you fly in on the day of the cruise departure, you'd need a Visa even if no overnight stay. They'd not let you into the country. Same as if you depart from Turkey via plane.

But Webster you only visited Turkey, cruise passengers departing Marmaris have to fly into Dalaman then transfer to port, a little different.

I have emailed Turkish Embassy and await reply - will post when I get reply.

Equally as important as the visa issue.

For anybody who wasn't aware - see para 5.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/local-laws-and-customs

It is illegal not to carry some form of photographic ID in Turkey. Carry a photocopy of your passport with you at all times.

I didn't know that, fortunately we take a scanned copy with us as standard procedure - must remember to keep it on our person.

Edited by WeeCountyMan

Very interesting WCM. I do actually have a photocopy of my passport in my holiday wallet :)

Hi there.

Is this not the sort of key information that travel companies and agents should be flagging up at the time of booking ?

We are off to Turkey tomorrow for a 7 night hotel stay - this aspect was never mentioned.

Probably hidden away in the small print ?

Hi there.

Is this not the sort of key information that travel companies and agents should be flagging up at the time of booking ?

We are off to Turkey tomorrow for a 7 night hotel stay - this aspect was never mentioned.

Probably hidden away in the small print ?

Yes they should be making any requirements explicit when you book - like passport photos as you need to know this before travel and take a copy with you. It should be standard to inform you of such info as well as visa and health requirements at the time of booking and add it to your booking invoice.

Of course things can change but an emailing to all those booked on cruises affected by any late changes in the requirements shouldn't be too difficult.

But you're right about the small print, do you remember a discussion on here when flight times had been changed and passengers not informed? Of course it does say in the small print that you should check flight times with the airport just before your departure but until I read that I hadn't thought of it. Fortunately those complaining about a change found it was later not earlier. :eek:

There really should be more robust systems in place to inform passengers of a range of requirements. We're confused enough on here but what about all those who don't read the Forum? :rolleyes:

P. S. Have put some info on your Fjords thread for you WCM :)

Edited by kruzseeka
Add p.s.

But you're right about the small print, do you remember a discussion on here when flight times had been changed and passengers not informed? Of course it does say in the small print that you should check flight times with the airport just before your departure but until I read that I hadn't thought of it. Fortunately those complaining about a change found it was later not earlier. :eek:

I don't recall that debate.

On the very few occasions over recent years that our UK departure time has been altered we have had an advisory email - but that was flight only deals from other companies.

Everbody and their dog now has a mobile 'phone - it wouldn't be rocket science to send out a brief text message if there is a late change.

I copied your Norway advice - haven't had time to digest it yet, thanks again.

It is illegal not to carry some form of photographic ID in Turkey. Carry a photocopy of your passport with you at all times.

I didn't know that, fortunately we take a scanned copy with us as standard procedure - must remember to keep it on our person.

This applicable in many countries

BTW,my dog doesn`t have a mobile phone ;)

Enjoy your holiday

Hi Everyone,

Just to clarify regarding visas for Turkey, previously we’ve had an arrangement with the local authorities in Marmaris and Dalaman that meant fly-cruise customers were exempt from needing entry visas – as fly-cruise customers are classed as ‘in-transit’.

Unfortunately the new regulations don’t currently have the option to implement a visa waiver scheme. The local authorities are still working with the Turkish government to resolve this but have advised us, in the meantime, to let you know that you will now need a visa to enter Turkey.

All Cruise & Stay or Stay & Cruise customers already need to buy the visa, as well as anyone on a beach holiday.

You can buy your visa for $20 online before you travel by visiting http://www.evisa.gov.tr

Or, you can purchase it on arrival at Dalaman Airport for £20 UK Sterling cash.

We're also in the process of contacting all customers affected by this so that they're aware ready for their arrival into Turkey.

Kind Regards,

Dan.

Obtaining the visa at the airport was due to stop on the 10th April, but due to intervention by ABTA this has now been extended until December. However you will now pay £20 for the privilege rather than £10.

So you might as well just get them online.

• 1 month later...

For cruise passengers simply stopping in a Turkish port:

Directly from the FAQ section of the Turkish Government website at: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/

Do I need an e-Visa if I am on a cruise ship? Go

According to the Law on Foreigners and International Protection which entered into force on 11th April 2014, those foreigners who arrive at sea ports and intend to visit the seaport city or nearby provinces for touristic purpose are exempt from visa provided that their stay does not exceed seventy two (72) hours.

Hope this helps.