Expectations of Service from Celebrity Staff

parallax

I sometimes wonder if some of the complaints about service are really a reflection of a sense of entitlement from the passengers who are doing the complaining. I am constantly amazed by the positive attitude and helpfulness of the who work 12 hour days, 6 to 7 days a week. I would probably have a melt down on the second day if I worked on a cruise ship.

2. In the buffet, I see people, who do not have a disability, asking staff to go get them certain food. Most of the time you never here a thank you.

There are countless other examples. As I noted above, some of complaints about the staff make me wonder whether the problem was really with the staff or this sense of entitlement that takes over a person when they board the vessel.

Yes, a considerate passenger understands the crew is doing the best they can.

OP might rethink #2 as disabilities are not always visible. This is a short-sighted assumption that a guest needing help (or an elevator) is inconsiderate.

jls

I had a situation aboard the Equinox last week that just left me shaking my head. We were coming back on board after a shore excursion, and the security person at the door checked the person's card and said Welcome Back, Miss First Name. The woman just lit into him about how dare he use her first name without permission, that she expected better treatment, and that it wasn't her name anyway.

I felt so sorry for the crew member.

Kathy

I had a situation aboard the Equinox last week that just left me shaking my head. We were coming back on board after a shore excursion, and the security person at the door checked the person's card and said Welcome Back, Miss First Name. The woman just lit into him about how dare he use her first name without permission, that she expected better treatment, and that it wasn't her name anyway.

I felt so sorry for the crew member.

Kathy

Hi Kathy:)....I would be shaking my head too:eek:...omg....what is wrong

with people?:confused: Better treatment????

I am always pleased when someone calls me by my first name:)

Example would be the bartenders.....sometimes they say "Miss Lois"

but I even say to them it is ok to just call me Lois:D

I have not cruised as much as some of the other posters, however, I do believe you get what you give. We are always polite (please and thank you) and find that in turn we receive good service. We do like to chat with the servers, especially our wait staff in the MDR, to learn where they are from, if they have family etc. Service in bars etc. has not always been as fast as we may have liked it, but as long as the waiters are not just standing around talking we are patient or DH will go and pick up our drinks. We have also witnessed the rude behaviour of some passengers. Fortunately, it is in the minority and no matter how much we talk about it, I don't think they are going to change.

We feel that we are fortunate enough to be able to cruise, so the service would have to be extremely poor before we would complain. After all, we don't have to cook, do the dishes, make our bed or clean up after ourselves.:D

It is correct that not all disabilities can be determined by a naked eye and I'm not trying to impugn people with disabilities. However, when you see a 45 year old person in line getting food and then later barking orders at one of the staff to go get them something from the buffet, it is pretty safe to assume that the person is not requesting assistance due to a disability.

While I won't let the actions of others ruin my cruise, unfortunately, the boorish encounters you see that some passengers have with the staff seem to stick in my memory.

I have always found the guests on Celebrity, by and large, to be very polite and considerate of the staff. It's one of the reasons we continue to sail on Celebrity as much as we do.

I did see a situation once, a few cruises ago, when someone at the Eggs Benedict bar had asked for a specially-prepared Eggs Benedict, and then took it from the chef without saying thank you. The guest next to him in line said kindly to the chef, "Oh, that man must have been in a very big hurry. I'm sure he meant to say thank you". I thought it was a very tactful way to handle the situation.

Service on Celebrity ships has always been amazing, and the staff have been so kind and so incredibly hard-working. I was aware on our B2B on the Century in February that some staff in the dining room seemed really pressured to keep up the level of service that Celebrity is known for. I did feel bad for our Sommelier who kept apologizing for not being able to give us the service that he wanted to provide.