Expectations of Service from Celebrity Staff

parallax

I sometimes wonder if some of the complaints about service are really a reflection of a sense of entitlement from the passengers who are doing the complaining. I am constantly amazed by the positive attitude and helpfulness of the who work 12 hour days, 6 to 7 days a week. I would probably have a melt down on the second day if I worked on a cruise ship.

While I enjoy speaking with the Staff--I find them interesting sometimes more than my fellow passengers--I only ask of them things that I cannot do myself (ply me with booze, serve food, etc.). Worried that my mom will hit me in the back of the head from 1500 miles away, I always say please and thank you. With a limited number of exceptions, the result of these interactions are extremely positive. I believe a good majority of passengers act this way.

However, there is always a segment who treat the staff like indentured servants. They believe they should be waited on hand and foot, often to the detriment to other passengers. Sometimes they lack manners. On my last cruise, I saw the following examples of this sense of entitlement:

1. A group of ten people yelling at the wait staff in a bar to help arrange some chairs so they could all sit together. The men started moving the chairs, not a hard thing to do, but a member of the group told them to stop because they were on a cruise and the staff should do it. They stood around several minutes and complained the whole time out loud while the staff finished servicing the other parties already there.

2. In the buffet, I see people, who do not have a disability, asking staff to go get them certain food. Most of the time you never here a thank you.

3. Tables demanding that they be served a 4 course meal in 40 minutes so they can make it to a show. Of course, this screws up things for the guest at other tables.

4. People demand they be served first even though other people have been waiting patiently.

There are countless other examples. As I noted above, some of complaints about the staff make me wonder whether the problem was really with the staff or this sense of entitlement that takes over a person when they board the vessel.

I completely concur with your assessment. Some people have an insane sense of entitlement. They probably treat everyone in a service position like an indentured servant. A please and thank you goes a LONG way to making their day just a touch better. I always try to overload them with kindness to make up for those who treat them like garbage.

These people are human beings, no matter what sort of non-livable wages and subhuman wages they make to put up with the garbage they have to put up with.

A lesson I learned early in life, treat others as you would like to be treated.

I agree with most of what you have said, but there is also a minimal level of service and sometimes (not often) its not met. I did notice on my last cruise that dining was a slow, particularly in the MDR and sometimes in Blu. Other times the service was amazing- quick and attentive. It did not ruin my cruise, because I was on vacation and it was DH and myself. The only thing we missed due to slow service was a raffle drawing (which was not a big deal). Had we had our 3 year old DD, it would have been more of a challenge, as there were times when we waited 20 or more minutes after we were finished with one course before the next one. That said, service was never poor, just a little slow. That may be due to staffing, kitchen issues or whatever. I know that I could not do what they do, work the hours they work and put up with people all day.

I agree that there are minimum levels of care/attention/service expected, and I can understand feeling let down or frustrated when these are not met.

What I can't understand is how people can see crew members obviously working hard, and get still get angry that their needs are not being met. They are doing the best they can!

I guess I tend to feel sorry for the workers - after all, virtually every other part of our day as a guest on the ship is going to be awesome. Theirs - not so much. A perfect example is the poor, harried Il Bacio worker I mentioned in my review. I felt so bad for the guy, but other passengers were rudely shoving their drinks back at him: "I ordered a vanilla latte, not a white chocolate latte!" Okay, yeah, he got it wrong - do you need to be a jerk about it? He's working his hinder off behind that counter!

As long as the staff is working to meet passengers' needs, and I will cut them huge amounts of slack. People make mistakes, people can't be everywhere at one time, and people have feelings!

I agree with this sentiment about the sense of entitlement. We hear and see it on every cruise we have taken (18). They assume that once they step onboard the staff is there personal servants to use however they please, and demand they be attended to the moment they speak.

On a recent cruise we got the opportunity to really get to know some of the staff and what there day is like. All of them work every day and most of them work from 7am to 11pm. That's right, 16 hours a day. Could they be lying to us? No. We personally witnessed our dining room servers working at the buffet in the morning, the mdr at lunch, back in the buffet until late afternoon, and then working the MDR for both seatings in the evening. The assistant as well. Our dining room manager who was from Turkey said this was very common and he too often did 16 hour days.

I would like to see these entitled people who whine, yell, and even scream at these workers have to try and do their jobs for just one day and have the tables turned on them so that they get a real dose of humble pie.

I sometimes wonder if some of the complaints about service are really a reflection of a sense of entitlement from the passengers who are doing the complaining. I am constantly amazed by the positive attitude and helpfulness of the who work 12 hour days, 6 to 7 days a week. I would probably have a melt down on the second day if I worked on a cruise ship.

While I enjoy speaking with the Staff--I find them interesting sometimes more than my fellow passengers--I only ask of them things that I cannot do myself (ply me with booze, serve food, etc.). Worried that my mom will hit me in the back of the head from 1500 miles away, I always say please and thank you. With a limited number of exceptions, the result of these interactions are extremely positive. I believe a good majority of passengers act this way.

However, there is always a segment who treat the staff like indentured servants. They believe they should be waited on hand and foot, often to the detriment to other passengers. Sometimes they lack manners. On my last cruise, I saw the following examples of this sense of entitlement:

1. A group of ten people yelling at the wait staff in a bar to help arrange some chairs so they could all sit together. The men started moving the chairs, not a hard thing to do, but a member of the group told them to stop because they were on a cruise and the staff should do it. They stood around several minutes and complained the whole time out loud while the staff finished servicing the other parties already there.

2. In the buffet, I see people, who do not have a disability, asking staff to go get them certain food. Most of the time you never here a thank you.

3. Tables demanding that they be served a 4 course meal in 40 minutes so they can make it to a show. Of course, this screws up things for the guest at other tables.

4. People demand they be served first even though other people have been waiting patiently.

There are countless other examples. As I noted above, some of complaints about the staff make me wonder whether the problem was really with the staff or this sense of entitlement that takes over a person when they board the vessel.

You forget the most important aspect of cruising, passengers. Without passengers there would be no cruises so how about defending the passengers 'entitlement" to a basic level of service the industry gave us and now has tried to diminish. It's not entitlement it's a service we thought we purchased based on the industry's promise of service. Look at the princess slogan as an example " service a nanosecond before you knew you needed it" or something like that. I didn't go on a cruise to make friends with the staff, nor would i disrespect them but I'm not overly concerned with how much they earn or what their hours are. I treat everyone with friendliness and respect and expect the same in return.

Some people like to complain about the passengers ad nauseam. I don't believe 99% of the things people like the OP report but think they bring these things up to pat themselves on the back to say see how wonderful I am compared to these other people.

These threads add nothing to cruise critic information about cruising and discourage new cruisers with their negative tone. The vast majority of people I have met on my 80 Plus cruises have been friendly and ready to chit chat when approached. People are friendly when squishing in Celebrity's tiny elevators which was really funny.

I expect efficient friendly staff regardless of how their day is going. I'd expect the same from myself when I was working, the customer always came first and leave your own issue's at the door.

Some people come across as demanding, passive /aggression style but that is their personality and not a disrespect to staff because they come across that way to everyone.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Well said Parallax! I think we have all seen passengers berate, yell or just be rude to the staff on our cruises and I'm sure these people go around the ship telling everyone who will listen how rude the staff member was to them. I give the staff props for still smiling after their encounters with rude passengers.

I think you really hit the nail, on the head with your post. We've been cruising for many years and are frequent cruisers. I can't believe some of the things I've seen people do. Of course nothing is ever going to be perfect but the staff and crew we have met do their best to make it enjoyable for everyone.

I suppose that is why I have a tendency to defend the employees when I hear some of the people who complain without even giving them a chance to make things right when they do go wrong. It seems that this is the age of instant gratification and there is a greater sense of entitlement than I recall previously. It makes me wonder if some of these people have ever truly had a "problem". Of course there are times when there really are situations that aren't handled properly, but from what I've seen, they are few and far between.

I would just hope that people would take a deep breath and speak to people in a courteous way and treat the employees as they would like to be treated and appreciated.

Edited by Ma Bell

You forget the most important aspect of cruising, passengers. Without passengers there would be no cruises so how about defending the passengers 'entitlement" to a basic level of service the industry gave us and now has tried to diminish. It's not entitlement it's a service we thought we purchased based on the industry's promise of service. Look at the princess slogan as an example " service a nanosecond before you knew you needed it" or something like that. I didn't go on a cruise to make friends with the staff, nor would i disrespect them but I'm not overly concerned with how much they earn or what their hours are. I treat everyone with friendliness and respect and expect the same in return.

Some people like to complain about the passengers ad nauseam. I don't believe 99% of the things people like the OP report but think they bring these things up to pat themselves on the back to say see how wonderful I am compared to these other people.

These threads add nothing to cruise critic information about cruising and discourage new cruisers with their negative tone. The vast majority of people I have met on my 80 Plus cruises have been friendly and ready to chit chat when approached. People are friendly when squishing in Celebrity's tiny elevators which was really funny.

I expect efficient friendly staff regardless of how their day is going. I'd expect the same from myself when I was working, the customer always came first and leave your own issue's at the door.

Some people come across as demanding, passive /aggression style but that is their personality and not a disrespect to staff because they come across that way to everyone.

Hi,

A different perspective to what I think you are saying...and if I am misinterpreting your post, my apologies in advance.

I first cruised in 1974, and since that time I have not noticed a diminished level of service on any cruise line. A diminished level of amenities/services provided perhaps, but not a diminished quality/level of service from the staff responsible for the services that are offered. Though it is acceptable of course to expect a certain level of service when booking a cruise, it is not acceptable to discourteously demand special service; or demand service at the expense of others...which obviously many of us have witnessed on occasion.

Unlike you, I do cruise to make friends with the staff; and I cruise to make friends with the passengers; and I cruise to make friends with the people in the ports I visit; and I cruise to relish in the renewed friendship of my family and travel companions...and the friends I make along the way...and I don't say that to pat myself on the back...I say it because I value the friendship of others !!

Like you, I don't ask crew about their hours or pay...and have never had them ask about mine...but I disagree with your last analogy...whether or not someone comes across as demanding and/or aggressive with everyone, doesn't make it right or acceptable behavior...if in fact it is aggressive or demanding in nature.

And I don't think threads like this are in any way negative...rather are a reminder of how lucky we are to be able to cruise, and to meet and interact with wonderful staff, passengers and the peoples of other countries...and a reminder to treat each of those people with the respect, friendliness and compassion all people deserve.

Just my opinion.

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

I agree with the OP.

Have I experienced rude crew? Yes but it hasn't happened often. Have I witnessed guests talking down or treating crew members in a rude manner? You bet. It's worse today than ever but it's not only the treatment of the crew but how some guests treat other guests.

Also if so some come across as demanding that doesn't give them the right to act like a horses behind.

Edited by cruisingator2

Cruising today is much different from years gone by. Staff used to have the time to get to know you. Wait staff were able to spend time with you, telling you about their lives back where they came from. Playing jokes on each other. We used to see them on shore having fun. Same with the bartenders and cabin stewards.

Now they have more tables to wait on more cabins to take care of and more drinks to serve. It is called cutbacks. They are the same people, very seldom rude or say no to that that special dish that you wanted or the extra dessert that you need or the Latte you just have to have to round of your diner. We are all very guilty of asking for something extra when the mood strikes us.

So when we have a problem we all have to learn to take the problems to the management and not lash out at the staff who for the most of them are trying to please everyone.

Great post, parallax.

Regarding the reduction in services, this is not the fault of the cruise staff and blaming them for any perceived reduction in service from the good ole days, is unfair (and unrealistic). Taking frustrations out of the staff for cruise line cutbacks is just bullying (and not likely to be very effective).

Parallax,

Concur with your sentiments.

We have done seven X cruises in the past four years and find the staff, including waitstaff, room steward, maintenance crew, etc. are responsive to our needs.

We don't always have a waiter or waitress immediately ready for our order, but the wait is no more than in a restaurant on dry land. All the MDR wait staff have been excellent. We get to know our waiters and wine stewards and enjoy finding out where they are from and other personal details. Also, we enjoy dining for about two hours. We don't want to eat in express mode.

Further, we have not seen a decline in service that some on cc keep talking about.

Thank you for the post, but sadly those who don't get it just don't get it. I am always shocked at the level of entitlement that people display that seems more prevalent on cruises than hotels and other holiday spots. I see so many people barking orders at the staff, and getting over the top upset if they are not taken care of immediately. The examples you give are no doubt true, and I have witnessed far worse. One that comes to mind that happens so often at the buffet is people walking up, shoving a plate at the server, making no eye contact, and barking "bacon...more". I will probably get serious flash back from this next statement, but it is what always comes to mind. When I see this behavior I immediately think that the person has spent what to them seems like an extreme amount of money, and they think they have the right to treat the server from a country other than their own like a circus monkey that is there to do their bidding. I can not grasp the concept of expecting another human being to do something for me without a basic please and thank you.

I am from the US but have been living in the UK for quite a while now. If I were apoplectic every-time I got bad service in the UK, I would simply have offed myself years ago.

We are taking a Celebrity cruise in October for the first time, so I can't directly comment on Celebrity, but we have been on two other cruises now and I can say that while on occasion some of the service was punching a clock, I can remember stand out service in almost every situation. Having been worn down in the UK, good service totally delights and is generally unexpected.

I am lucky that I haven't seen over-entitled people behaving badly on a cruise, but I have seen them other places and I often react very badly to that, much to my partner's angst. We were checking into a flight and the guy in front of us was yelling at the check in agent because she wouldn't allow him to put his significantly overweight baggage on the checkin belt and was telling him he needed to take it to the overweight area. He insisted that she should leave her post and drag his bag for him. I inserted myself in the conversation and calmly but firmly told him he was being rude and that he would take his bags and move them himself as the lady had instructed him. That wasn't the first time or the last time I suspect I will address someone's unacceptable behaviour.

Now, clearly with some of the issues that I have seen people complain about here, they fall short of perfect. On the other hand, I feel bad that people might have allowed something like that to ruin what should have been an enjoyable time away (or at least that seems to be what they are reflecting in their reviews).

Admittedly I have had situations on cruises where something went wrong and there was a huge opportunity for a small gesture that would have totally increased our loyalty, and the missed opportunities far outweigh the few instances where we were totally taken aback by the level of service, but it seems like a lot of folks expect a minor miracle of customer service every-time something goes a little wrong.

We also self edit. We almost certainly remember the good times over the bad. So I think almost everyone has fond memories of the past that outweigh the bad memories of the past. Maybe it is just that time heals all wounds!

I agree with most of what you have said, but there is also a minimal level of service and sometimes (not often) its not met. I did notice on my last cruise that dining was a slow, particularly in the MDR and sometimes in Blu. Other times the service was amazing- quick and attentive. It did not ruin my cruise, because I was on vacation and it was DH and myself. The only thing we missed due to slow service was a raffle drawing (which was not a big deal). Had we had our 3 year old DD, it would have been more of a challenge, as there were times when we waited 20 or more minutes after we were finished with one course before the next one. That said, service was never poor, just a little slow. That may be due to staffing, kitchen issues or whatever. I know that I could not do what they do, work the hours they work and put up with people all day.

Only took three posts to swing what started as a positive thread in a negative direction.

I have to agree, some people expect much more from the staff than is reasonable. We have yet to go on a cruise that has had "bad service". Certain bar staff might be rude. the dinner may take longer than usual. But heck, the ship is at your beg and call for 7 straight days. Certainly there will be some gaps in service. but 95% of the time, these people are trying their best to satisfy our every whim. I am impressed by the commitment every time.

I have to agree, some people expect much more from the staff than is reasonable. We have yet to go on a cruise that has had "bad service". Certain bar staff might be rude. the dinner may take longer than usual. But heck, the ship is at your beg and call for 7 straight days. Certainly there will be some gaps in service. but 95% of the time, these people are trying their best to satisfy our every whim. I am impressed by the commitment every time.

Agree with you!

There is the argument that they work in the hospitality industry and have to be smiling all the time. Although that Is expected, there are gaps in service and I too am amazed that these people get up everyday and still do their job quite well considering the long hours they put in. I'm not saying be satisfied with bad attitudes, but they are people too, not servants; and if you treat the crew with respect they almost always respond accordingly.