ship food

travsmom

I've always found a variety of tasty food to eat on Carnival. Mongolian, Tandoor, Rotisserie, Guys, Blue Iguana, Pizza. I tend to stay away from the buffet and take dinner in the MDR and I just love the sea day brunches.

I can skip breakfast and am planning on taking my nutribullet aboard with me for my breakfast meal....

I'm happy.....

And it is Cheesecake served in the Steakhouse - but it's not NY Style Cheesecake. There are other ways to make cheesecake other than a load of eggs, cream cheese and sugar (and not much else). Ricotta and beaten egg whites are what give the Steakhouse cheesecake it's fluffyness.

As a rather accomplished cook, I have never seen a recipe for *fluffy* cheesecake.

I'm also Italian and have made Ricotta cheesecakes and, while there are beaten egg whites in the recipe, the yolks are also used as well as sugar and a lot of Ricotta cheese.

The end result, while lighter in texture, is no where near *fluffy* and tastes as well as looks nothing like the awful (imo) version in the Steakhouse.

That said, even though a lot of the desserts aren't my cup of tea, I enjoy the food on Carnival and haven't had a bad meal on a Carnival ship yet.

So, if you like decent and varied food options, and you don't expect Ruth's Chris....

Ruth's Chris is the most over-hyped, over-priced place I've ever been to. I had one of the worst steaks of my life at a RC, and swore I'd never go back (and I haven't). The service wasn't that great either. Compared to RC, the steakhouse on Carnival is a friggin' bargain...and it's ten times better.

As far as Carnival's other food, we were on the SPLENDOR in November and really had nothing major to complain about. Yes, the scrambled eggs weren't the greatest, but, so what? I've cruised over 40 times, and rarely have the scrambled eggs knocked me off my feet.

Let's get real here, folks. They're serving thousands of people, pretty much 24hrs a day – it's NOT going to be high-brow fare...especially for the price. All things considered, I think they do a very good job.

"Ruth's Chris is the most over-hyped, over-priced place I've ever been to. I had one of the worst steaks of my life at a RC, and swore I'd never go back (and I haven't). The service wasn't that great either. Compared to RC, the steakhouse on Carnival is a friggin' bargain...and it's ten times better." LOLOLOL Linerguy!!!!

LOL..I have had the steaks at Morton's and Ruth Chris's twice each and once at the Steakhouse. I think the steakhouse wins too and all were tenderloins.

None of above IMHO beat the Costco tri-tip or tenderloins purchased in either Montana or Oregon and done at home by my B-in-law on the BBQ.

Also..the hot or warm versus sitting there an hour really happened inbetween my 2 Carnival cruises in 2009 and 2011. I said I would definitely try something else next time.

But the prices are amazing right now and I am so tempted to do it one more time and try somewhere new..I have to loose weight anyway if it ends up being like my last cruise and I still hear enough good reports chances are i will not get sick or starve...LOL. Not getting sick with 3000 plus meals each go..they have terrific odds with that..it is not hospital food..that is for sure.

I think the biggest problem was enough waiters my second Carnival cruise and when I dined alone on MTD in 2011. Scheduled dining or dining with a group either way my food was better and warmer.

I hate the new American table idea...that is where Carnival to me had an edge..just from all the reading..decent main dining for mass market that was a little "special" with many continental and comfort type options. I hope enough bark to dump that...and they get back to tablecloths..."out of style" or not....Sarah

Edited by sjn911