ship food

travsmom

I can admittedly be very snobby about food. I pretty much refuse to eat at Applebee's type places, and don't eat fast food, with very few exceptions. The food on Carnival was fine. Better than Applebee's, but not the best food I ever had. But, i didn't expect it to be the best food ever. It's quality banquet food - better than your average wedding, not something I'd be itching to go back to again quickly at a land-based restaurant.

However, I didn't really care for most of the desserts. Sure the WCMC was good, but it wasn't to die for the way some people rave about. I missed the bitter and blanc - I think we might have done the steakhouse that night, but it's not something I'd usually like anyway.

The steakhouse was excellent. High quality, very good. Except the desserts. The desserts were disgusting, especially the "cheesecake." Don't ever try to pass that crap off as cheesecake to a NYer.

I ate the scrambled eggs almost every morning but I didn't remember them tasting bad. Although I do remember them being a bit soggy.

Well, yes they are soggy but that's the least of their problems. They use some liquid crap out of a carton so they can produce mass quantities quickly I assume but the type of mixture they use is just dreadful. I have had scrambled eggs from a carton at other places and they are actually edible but these things... I have actually talked with other pax while hanging out at the hot tub about how bad the eggs are and I wasn't the one who originally started the conversation. It wouldn't cost that much more for them to use a better quality product for a breakfast staple. I actually think the sausage is lousy at breakfast too. It is maple but it just has a brown'n'serve taste to it and not a fresh grilled sausage link taste. The bacon and pancakes, etc are OK though. I have long since stopped waking up early on cruises just to get breakfast. I will either do room service to hold me over to lunch or get an omelet.

I can admittedly be very snobby about food. I pretty much refuse to eat at Applebee's type places, and don't eat fast food, with very few exceptions. The food on Carnival was fine. Better than Applebee's, but not the best food I ever had. But, i didn't expect it to be the best food ever. It's quality banquet food - better than your average wedding, not something I'd be itching to go back to again quickly at a land-based restaurant.

However, I didn't really care for most of the desserts. Sure the WCMC was good, but it wasn't to die for the way some people rave about. I missed the bitter and blanc - I think we might have done the steakhouse that night, but it's not something I'd usually like anyway.

The steakhouse was excellent. High quality, very good. Except the desserts. The desserts were disgusting, especially the "cheesecake." Don't ever try to pass that crap off as cheesecake to a NYer.

There is some stuff that is pretty good at Applebee's but for the most part, if I am going to spend 15 dollars or so on an entree, I can go to a Texas Roadhouse or Famous Dave's (or Smokey Bones, which sadly we do not have up north) and get much better stuff for the same price. That's my issue with those Applebees/Chilis/TGIF places. And I am not a big fast food person either. Chick Fil A is good, occasional something from Wendy's but other than that no. Wawa is everywhere and they have made to order stuff better than any McDonald's. I have been to the steakhouse once and it was OK. Good quality food and service, but the desserts are overkill. I do not like cheesecake but I got some mousse thing and a big piece of chocolate cake or something for dessert. Too much for one person to finish. Probably worth the $35 a person once in a while.

CCL food is certainly not the best I've ever had, but I don't think I want them to "do something" about the food - that would certainly mean higher cruise prices.

As others have mentioned, Carnival doesn't promote itself as a luxury cruise line - I'm thankful that their prices are low enough so that my family can cruise more often. :)

Oh man, I couldn't agree more!

I was so excited after reading about the cheesecake and then I was like :mad::eek::confused: when I tasted it.

It seems like they put gelatin in everything to crank more product out of the ingredients.

The 'Key Lime Pie' is gawdawful too, imo.

Most everything has a little whipped wiggle to it, kind of like Aunt Betty's jello mold. Blech.

There is some stuff that is pretty good at Applebee's but for the most part, if I am going to spend 15 dollars or so on an entree, I can go to a Texas Roadhouse or Famous Dave's (or Smokey Bones, which sadly we do not have up north) and get much better stuff for the same price. That's my issue with those Applebees/Chilis/TGIF places.

Texas Roadhouse and Famous Dave's are also mass-produced slop like Applebee's and the like, with a higher price point, and narrower focus. Carnival is slightly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read a lot of reviews and quite a large number of them have complained about the food served on all ships. I can say myself the last cruise I went on the food was not so good. It was not horrible like some people have said but on my other Carnival cruises the food was much better.Since so many people are complaining about the food why doesn't Carnival do something about it. That is my only real complain. I really like Carnival and can say I have never had a bad cruise with them.

I agree. I enjoy the food on carnival. If you asked have I ever tasted better food in any restaurant. Certainly I have! But it wasn't on any other cruise ship and I have cruised on 4 different Cruise Lines. For me none of the other cruise lines has exceeded Carnival in quality, taste, or variety of food choices. And Carnival has changed based on the opinions of their customers. I love trying new things on the dija menue. I love the escargot and the oysters rockefeller but I discovered I don't care for frog legs. Those are not foods I would have ordered for the first time in an expensive restaurant paying cash. But it's great that you can try them for free and if you don't like them there's other options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

I am an ex cruise agent (TA) from the UK now based in Australia and so have been lucky to have been on a lot of ships from some very basic cheap and cheerful such as Thomson to the luxury end such as Crystal.

In my opinion all of the mass market lines are pretty similar when it comes to food. Each will do some things better and each some thing’s worse. But, none it is going to be up market. It is not aimed to be. It is designed to keep people who eat in normal restaurants reasonably happy and fed. That’s all. Personally, I don’t like the food on any of the mass lines – Carnival, RC, Princess, NCL. I am now a geologist and work in mining in Australia and find the food on the big ship mass market lines to be about the same as I get at work at the mine mess. Even the specialty restaurants are not a huge step up. They are better and fine for a ship, but if I were attending a special event on land at that level I would be disappointed. But, if you accept this and go in remembering you’re going to eat somewhere that is catering for thousands, then you won’t be disappointed.

If you are very much into food, then you need to book the higher end ships and be willing to pay the price for them and even then remember that it isn’t going to be a Michelin star meal.

go in remembering you’re going to eat somewhere that is catering for thousands

... and this, dear reader, is the point seemingly lost on many.

The ships kitchens are producing many thousands of meals per day, every day, and serving most of those inside relatively narrow windows of time. Food service on a ship is mass production based on ingredients loaded days before the meal.

Expecting fresh-from-the-market-that-morning ingredients, individually and expertly cooked by the executive chef him/herself, then finally assembled onto your plate immediately prior to your waiter serving your meal? Unrealistic expectation on any mass market cruise line.

I actually don't think the food is all that bad. I mean can I get better meals on land? Of course I can! But considering the meals are free with my vacation I think they are pretty reasonable. Theres never been a meal I couldn't find something to eat. There are certain items I do not like but I just avoid them, but that could happen at any restaurant, on land or on the ocean.

I personally like the eggs as well. I also think people would be surprised to find out how many restaurants and establishments on land use the carton eggs. I work for a hospital and I know for a fact that's what they use to feed the patients and also in the cafeteria. People love them. It's only when they find out that they are from a carton that they decide they don't like them... I really don' think Carnival is using carton eggs to save money as much as they are trying to save on space and function. Do you realize how many whole eggs they would have to purchase? Do you realize how much space that would take up? What happens if there would be high swells and they would happen to break? OMG no eggs for anyone!! From working in a large kitchen serving hundreds of people daily I'm telling you Carnival isn't serving carton eggs to save money, they are doing it because that's likely the only efficient way to serve scrambled eggs to the masses. (ok, off soapbox. I didn't mean to preach, I just wanted to put it in perspective)

Any meal that I don't have to cook is a GREAT meal. I've always found something I like. Yes, I agree there are things that must be avoided--the scrambled "eggs" (does anyone have proof that they are even eggs :confused:) and the overcooked burgers are a few. But I have found that in general there is more to like than more to dislike.

Our first cruise was on RCCL (a long time ago) and I think Carnival's offerings have been consistently better. I agree with other posters that if you don't expect a 5 star meal every time to sit down to eat, you will be happy.

I actually don't think the food is all that bad. I mean can I get better meals on land? Of course I can! But considering the meals are free with my vacation I think they are pretty reasonable. Theres never been a meal I couldn't find something to eat. There are certain items I do not like but I just avoid them, but that could happen at any restaurant, on land or on the ocean.

I personally like the eggs as well. I also think people would be surprised to find out how many restaurants and establishments on land use the carton eggs. I work for a hospital and I know for a fact that's what they use to feed the patients and also in the cafeteria. People love them. It's only when they find out that they are from a carton that they decide they don't like them... I really don' think Carnival is using carton eggs to save money as much as they are trying to save on space and function. Do you realize how many whole eggs they would have to purchase? Do you realize how much space that would take up? What happens if there would be high swells and they would happen to break? OMG no eggs for anyone!! From working in a large kitchen serving hundreds of people daily I'm telling you Carnival isn't serving carton eggs to save money, they are doing it because that's likely the only efficient way to serve scrambled eggs to the masses. (ok, off soapbox. I didn't mean to preach, I just wanted to put it in perspective)

Perhaps but I also noted that I have had carton eggs at other establishments and they tasted more like real scrambled eggs than the crap on carnival. Maybe they don't mix them with any filler or put too much filler like milk in with them but they are always soggy, tasteless and not very substantial at all. It's not the end of the world as I can wait 5 more minutes in line for a real egg omelet but it is annoying. Considering they use cost analysis for everything they do, I figure they see they can save money by not having to purchase and load so many real eggs. I don't think storing a lot of cartons of real eggs is an issue moreso than the cost of doing so. I have been on behind the fun tours on a few ships and they have huge storage space for anything they want to carry. But as long as not that many people complain, they won't change anything.

Texas Roadhouse and Famous Dave's are also mass-produced slop like Applebee's and the like, with a higher price point, and narrower focus. Carnival is slightly better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyplace the stuff is made sort of from scratch is ok with me. I prefer these place over a tgif or applebees in restaurants in that price range. Of course you could go to some place that is not a chain and get better stuff and spend a ton more money. Famous Dave's ribs are better than anything ccl can dream of and unless you want to spend extra on a steakhouse, roadhouse steaks are way better than carnival mdr steaks.

First one I've met! :D Carnival is not alone, though, with the yucky scrambled eggs. I think it's a law of the seas that those eggs on cruise ships MUST be awful! LOL.

LOL, My wife and I love them.

first off , how many of you eat your steak, rare , medium or what ever.

then you say something about soggie carton eggs. go figure.

salt and pepper !

my whole family enjoy the eggs , bacon and the short link meat.

dip your eggs from the top part and there less soggie, easy.

You can't expect to have good food on carnival. They have to cut back somewhere. They have the prices that beat all other lines. So we always say we won't do carnival again but we have been on 5 so far, going on our 6th in July. Carnival is good in the fact that they always have deals and making it affordable. The same cruise we are paying 4000 for in July is 7000 on royal carribean...the food is not good but I rather eat bad food on vacation then be stuck at home. Ha ha

You can't expect to have good food on carnival. They have to cut back somewhere. They have the prices that beat all other lines. So we always say we won't do carnival again but we have been on 5 so far, going on our 6th in July. Carnival is good in the fact that they always have deals and making it affordable. The same cruise we are paying 4000 for in July is 7000 on royal carribean...the food is not good but I rather eat bad food on vacation then be stuck at home. Ha ha

It's all in the eye of the beholder. Food likes and dislikes are very individualized. A lot of people LIKE the food on Carnival Cruise Line. I like it AND the overall cruising experience better than on Royal Caribbean. At least better than the RCCL older ships. I would be willing to spend more to sale on the Allure or the Oasis but otherwise I am willing to spend more to sail on Carnival but luckily I don't usually have to! None of the economy Cruise Lines have the quality of food you'd find in the best restaurants in the world but quite frankly they do have food as good as you find here in Oklahoma where I live so I'm happy with it. The best sushi on the planet as far as I have found is located in a little sushi restaurant on the Vegas strip. Cost is about 150 per person when all is said and done but it's phenomenal. So if I want great sushi I'll go to Vegas! If I want to veg out on the balcony, wake up at different ports each morning and still have the night life of a cruise ship then I'll go on a cruise.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I think a lot of the food quality issues have to do with if your food is served "just made and hot" or "lukewarm and prepared an hour ago".

And the eggs in the morning are powdered, and reconstituted eggs which are not cooked in a pan but are scrambled in boiling water. If the cook drains them properly, they can be okay. If the cook doesn't drain them, they remain watery. I would hazard a guess that they whip the reconstituted egg mixture to which is what makes them so light (in both texture and taste).

And it is Cheesecake served in the Steakhouse - but it's not NY Style Cheesecake. There are other ways to make cheesecake other than a load of eggs, cream cheese and sugar (and not much else). Ricotta and beaten egg whites are what give the Steakhouse cheesecake it's fluffyness.

I think a lot of the food quality issues have to do with if your food is served "just made and hot" or "lukewarm and prepared an hour ago".

And the eggs in the morning are powdered, and reconstituted eggs which are not cooked in a pan but are scrambled in boiling water. If the cook drains them properly, they can be okay. If the cook doesn't drain them, they remain watery. I would hazard a guess that they whip the reconstituted egg mixture to which is what makes them so light (in both texture and taste).

And it is Cheesecake served in the Steakhouse - but it's not NY Style Cheesecake. There are other ways to make cheesecake other than a load of eggs, cream cheese and sugar (and not much else). Ricotta and beaten egg whites are what give the Steakhouse cheesecake it's fluffyness.

Exactly.