ship food

travsmom

I have read a lot of reviews and quite a large number of them have complained about the food served on all ships. I can say myself the last cruise I went on the food was not so good. It was not horrible like some people have said but on my other Carnival cruises the food was much better.Since so many people are complaining about the food why doesn't Carnival do something about it. That is my only real complain. I really like Carnival and can say I have never had a bad cruise with them.

I have read a lot of reviews and quite a large number of them have complained about the food served on all ships. I can say myself the last cruise I went on the food was not so good. It was not horrible like some people have said but on my other Carnival cruises the food was much better.Since so many people are complaining about the food why doesn't Carnival do something about it. That is my only real complain. I really like Carnival and can say I have never had a bad cruise with them.

When the ratio of people complaining about the food reaches an unacceptable (for CCL) level then they will do something about it. The people that write the reviews represent a small percentage of cruisers and is probably not the best indicator of overall satisfaction.

I never seem to have many complaints about the food. There are always the specialty places (Wok, pizza, etc) that I manage to gain a few pounds eveyr time I cruise. :D Some things, like the scrambled eggs at breakfast are always bad and I just don't eat them.

If people go on cruises for the supposedly "gourmet" food, they are very much mistaken. Granted, it's not horrible cuisine like some reviewers make it out to be, but it's simply mediocre-to-good food that is similar to any middle-of-the-road chain restaurant that can be found coast to coast in America.

Granted, if someone's idea of a fine meal is at their local Applebee's, maybe Carnival or any other mass market cruise line will be a slight upgrade. But it simply isn't in the same league as the cuisine that can be found in restaurants at any middle to large sized city in America. Find yourself a Michelin starred restaurant and you're talking a whole other universe.

I enjoy many of the dishes on Carnival, but I never understood the people who rant or rave about the food. You can do much, much better by staying home and finding a good restaurant in your hometown.

On our last cruise we ate in the MDR every night except for the one night we did the steakhouse. I found the food to be quite tasty and there was always a decent choice to be made. I tried all the chilled soups, as I had read that they might be disappearing. I could eat the black cherry one a lot! The short ribs were excellant and the chilean sea bass was also very good.

I guess I am not a "foodie" and perhaps I do not have the palate that some have. However, other than the eggs (previously mentioned) and the current sushi offerings, I have always managed to enjoy the food on all of our cruises.

We aren't fond of the food on Carnival ships ... but can always find something we will eat. Some things are better than others.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who actually likes the scrambled eggs on Carnival. :D

LuLu

~~~

I'm probably the only person on the planet who actually likes the scrambled eggs on Carnival. :D

LuLu

~~~

First one I've met! :D Carnival is not alone, though, with the yucky scrambled eggs. I think it's a law of the seas that those eggs on cruise ships MUST be awful! LOL.

NCL's scrambled eggs, as they are called, are just as bad OR just as good - LOL. Having sailed the Splendor last year, we got back to NCL last month, and 6 of us concluded that we kind of missed CCL's MDR food - it's NOT 4 stars+ fine dining, maybe it was refreshing for a change. NCL also did away the chilled soup & no longer served creame burlee in the MDR, so not as happy as we could've been. But, there are no bad cruises when you sailed and let others do the work and even wash (most of) your laundry for free (Platinum benefits, of course.)

Realities of cutbacks & costs containment - flying domestic airlines lately, you are lucky for the carrier to not charge you for a soda, and definitely cool when you don't have to pay $25 & up to checked 1 pc. of luggage, etc.

Just hangout at the ship's buffet and watch how high the food are piled up on the plates, especially desserts - no complaints from the stomach. ;)

I agree with you the food on all Carnival ships taste pretty good. The only thing I can say about any food at the buffet is that if because of medical condition you are on a sodium restricted diet keep away from buffet food your ankles and hands may blow up like balloon. Besides the added sodium I have no problems with CCL food.

I have never had a problem with the food on any Carnival cruise. But then, I don't consider myself a picky eater, either. Of course some things are better than others, and everyone's taste is different. I've gone on enough cruises to know what items I will probably like more than others. I can always find something . And it is not easy trying to feed 2000-3000 people.

What bothers me more, is the amount of waste I see on the cruises. People pile the food on their plates at the buffet, then leave most of it. If you've never tried something before, take a small portion. You can always go back for more, and as many times as you want. And no, it is not gourmet dining, but I firmly believe I get a great bargain on Carnival. If you want fine dining, go on the luxury cruise lines.

I have always enjoyed the food on Carnival.

My mother who mostly cruises on Celebrity, went on her first Carnival cruise with me on the Liberty five years ago, and she loved the food, and was amazed at the variety available both in the dining room and all over the ship. She still talks about that cruise how much she enjoyed the food.

My last cruise on Carnival was four years ago, and the food was still very good to me. I hope that it hasnt gone downhill that much since then. My next cruise is in November. I know that I wont go hungry though, and will certainly not lose any weight:D

I was actually called out on Princess putting 'tastes' of food on my plate. One of the lido chefs asked me what I was doing, so I told him. He shah ok his head in amazement and said, 'No one does that!'

my opinion is if you don't like it get something else .....you don't like that get something else....you don't like that well......you get my meaning .......your on a cruise you have lots of choices.....you are not always going to like the way something is cooked or it is not warm enough ....its not your mother cooking it so it will taste different ......get over it and move on.....

We aren't fond of the food on Carnival ships ... but can always find something we will eat. Some things are better than others.

LuLu

~~~

Nope, there's 2 of us :D

We went on our first cruise on CCL Glory five years ago. Dinner in MDR every night. We thought the food was very good mostly. Since then we have cruised on RCI twice and NCL three times. We still think food in MDR on CCL was best but NCL had best buffet food. RCI fell in the middle on both. We're thinking we might like to do the Southern Caribbean on CCL Breeze next year and are wondering if those who have been regular CCL cruisers think the quality of food in MDR has kept to the same level as when we cruised five years ago. We would really like to try the Breeze.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have sailed on many different lines and I don't find a big difference in the food. I like it all. I don't like the scrambled eggs on any ship but there is plenty of other stuff to eat. We always eat in the MDR since we don't believe in encouraging them to charge for extra food ( this is probably one of the reasons the quality has seemed to go down) and have no complaints, if you don't like something-order something else.

I was just reading an article today that describes Carnival Corporation as having a "dominant position" in the cruise industry with over 10 million passengers last year which was a record number, and that they account for almost half of all industry bookings.

I would say with those kinds of numbers that they are not under too much passenger pressure to change the food. I think sometimes people forget that Carnival Cruise Line is a value brand and that if they want premium food and service they should choose a more expensive upscale brand.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-04-17/carnival-draws-noisy-union-boycott-over-its-ceos-other-gig

Here's the deal with food on Carnival. It is not bad. Considering it is included with your cruise price, with exceptions being places like the steakhouse, it is plentiful and good. It is very hard to cook for mass gatherings of people as everyone has different tastes and likes and dislikes. It would be impossible to please everyone with everything which is probably why there is such variety to be honest.

Now, saying that the quality has declined in recent years and I have been cruising CCL at least once a year since 2006. It used to be a step above your local applebee's type food and service surely but they are trying to reduce everyone's expectations in recent years. Sure, with the prices they charge to cruise they do have to cut back and they are cutting back a lot in all areas.

They have addressed these issues in the last year with the advent of the american table/feast fisaco and in doing that, they have made a declining and somewhat stale culinary product that much worse. To a lot of people, main dining room experiences are supposed to be special and completely altering the presentation and style turns people off. It has turned me off a little and I have not even experienced the changes yet. I am dreading the first time I go on a carnival cruise that has it as the reality of the wholesale changes will actually become apparent to me.

So, if you like decent and varied food options, and you don't expect Ruth's Chris or Waffle House (love WH, Bubba Watson and Roy McAvoy rule, just saying for comparison) quality, you won't have a huge problem with the food. It isn't as bad as some say and it isn't the best you can find but it is decent.

LuLu

~~~

Carnival has the worst scrambled eggs I have ever had anywhere, and I am not exaggerating even a little bit. Are they saving that much money by serving that garbage at breakfast? I can deal with it because the omelet station does exist with better quality but still. Not to mention I have gotten a little sick a few times after eating those horrible imitation "eggs."

On our last cruise we ate in the MDR every night except for the one night we did the steakhouse. I found the food to be quite tasty and there was always a decent choice to be made. I tried all the chilled soups, as I had read that they might be disappearing. I could eat the black cherry one a lot! The short ribs were excellant and the chilean sea bass was also very good.

I guess I am not a "foodie" and perhaps I do not have the palate that some have. However, other than the eggs (previously mentioned) and the current sushi offerings, I have always managed to enjoy the food on all of our cruises.

I have never been a fan of the cold soups as I feel they taste like nasty melted ice cream. Ewwwww. Glad they got rid of them on the american table menu. The short ribs and brisket in the mdr on Carnival is almost always very good. Very tasty and tender. I am not a huge sushi person but I have tried the California rolls and they are OK, in terms of quality from what I know of sushi, they were pretty decent.

Carnival has the worst scrambled eggs I have ever had anywhere, and I am not exaggerating even a little bit. Are they saving that much money by serving that garbage at breakfast? I can deal with it because the omelet station does exist with better quality but still. Not to mention I have gotten a little sick a few times after eating those horrible imitation "eggs."

I ate the scrambled eggs almost every morning but I didn't remember them tasting bad. Although I do remember them being a bit soggy.