Breakfast by the Colosseum

allaboardsharon

My husband and I have booked a trip to Rome and we will be dropped off around 9am in Rome by the Colosseum. We thought we might treat ourselves to a breakfast away from the ship when we get there. Does anyone have any recommendations where we can have a nice breakfast, coffee and pastry or something else light near the colosseum? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Italians aren't big on breakfast. I stayed near the Colosseum (at Hotel Nerva) for a week. I can't say that I recall any place "with a view" where breakfast was being served in the a.m. Hotels will put on breakfast (mainly for their non-Italian guests).

Perhaps eurocruiser will know of something, but I am drawing a blank. I have been known to have a top-up espresso and cornetto at the Colosseo metro station -- but that's standing at the bar, inside the station. Not ideal for you (although the espresso is fabulous at 80 euro cents a cup!)

Now if you were looking for a nice evening cocktail with a view near the Colosseum, I'd recommend the rooftop bar at the Hotel Forum (a real slice of Old Rome). :D

I think this is the best thing to do allaboardsharon. Italian breakfast is (as euro cruiser wrote) a cornetto and a cafe at a bar. Great espresso with less than a euro, but still, I need a nice place to sit and enjoy my coffee!

Edited by maryann120

Espresso sounds marvelous. Could you please enlighten me on what a "cornetto" is? A google search said ice cream come but I'm sure that can't be right:)

It's the Italian cousin of the croissant. It can be plain or filled.

http://breadcakesandale.wordpress.com/2013/08/26/italian-breakfast-and-why-a-cornetto-isnt-a-croissant/

Wracked my brain trying to remember a place to pick up some breakast, or even a caffe e cornetto, but I came up blank.

The only thing I remember around there were the street vendors between Vittorio Emanuele monument and the Colosseum. No caffe or cornetti, but I got good fruit juice and awesome fresh cracked coconut...