Balcony dividers

chester32

Could anyone tell me if they can be opened to the balcony next door and be left open (on the Diamond)

Thanks

Yes, but it doesn't provide you with a double size balcony. The opening is only a 24 inch doorway on the cabin side of the balcony divider. Also, some adjacent cabins do not have connecting balcony doors. You should inquire with Princess about specific cabins if this is important to you.

Most can but there are some that cannot.
If there is a fire door between the cabins, the narrow door in the divider cannot be opened. They are marked on the deck plans and are where cabin numbers change sequence, from a 3XX to a 4XX, for instance.

Some ships wont even open the ones that can be opened. We tried, had friends in the next balcony and the steward said he had strick instructions not to open the connecting door becaus ethey are so hard to get back closed properly.

If there is a fire door between the cabins, the narrow door in the divider cannot be opened. They are marked on the deck plans and are where cabin numbers change sequence, from a 3XX to a 4XX, for instance.
Pam, I noticed on the Princess website that they now list cabins where the balcony door can't be opened on one side such as some of the aft Emerald deck balconies on the Coral and Island. There is no such notation for the balconies at fire doors. (Of course you can't always trust the website :eek:). At least on the Coral/Island and the Grand class ships, the fire separation does not extend to the balconies. There are doors on the balconies where the cabins change sequence on these ships and the doors can be opened. Your comments must only apply the Sun class and/or Ocean and Pacific.

UPDATE:

I just checked on the website, and that note does appear for the "fire door" balconies on the Sun, Sea and Dawn but not on the Ocean, Pacific, Coral, Island and Grand class ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Pam, I noticed on the Princess website that they now list cabins where the balcony door can't be opened on one side such as some of the aft Emerald deck balconies on the Coral and Island. There is no such notation for the balconies at fire doors. (Of course you can't always trust the website :eek:). At least on the Coral/Island and the Grand class ships, the fire separation does not extend to the balconies. There are doors on the balconies where the cabins change sequence on these ships and the doors can be opened. Your comments must only apply the Sun class and/or Ocean and Pacific.

UPDATE:

I just checked on the website, and that note does appear for the "fire door" balconies on the Sun, Sea and Dawn but not on the Ocean, Pacific, Coral, Island and Grand class ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have had balconies partitions several years ago on the Coral and the Island that were on Caribe/Aloha that could not open, so its not just Emerald deck apparently.

I doubt that they have retrofitted any of them.

We have had balconies partitions several years ago on the Coral and the Island that were on Caribe/Aloha that could not open, so its not just Emerald deck apparently.

That is VERY true. I realize OP is talking about the Diamond, but for anyone else who is planning a sailing on the Coral/Island, you really have to be careful when choosing 2 balcony cabins. On the Caribe Deck, most, if not all, balconies are paired in twos, so if you choose incorrectly, you won't be able to open the partition with your other balcony cabin. In other words, there is only 1 partition side that can be opened unlike most others in the Princess fleet that have 2 partitions that can be opened.

We lucked out and ours opened between our balcony and our sons', but I would've been really disappointed if we had picked the wrong pair of cabins. FYI, we had C505 & C509.

There are structural members in the balcony partitions between some of those cabins that prevent the installation of a door in the partition. Those should all be indicated on the website if you check a particular cabin. Although it should be intuitively obvious, there in also a note that you can't open the partition between C505 and the adjacent "bump out" cabin C503.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

There are structural members in the balcony partitions between some of those cabins that prevent the installation of a door in the partition. Those should all be indicated on the website if you check a particular cabin. Although it should be intuitively obvious, there in also a note that you can't open the partition between C505 and the adjacent "bump out" cabin C503.

Yeah, not talking about bumpouts.

But it's much more than that on the Coral/Island. The cabins are paired off on this deck. There isn't a partition door on BOTH sides - only 1 side and that should be noted on the deck plans and I don't think it is. It makes it very hard for people that are planning to open the partitions to figure out how it works. For example, say there are 3 of you in a row of balcony cabins on that deck. One of those cabins will be out in the cold. They won't be able to open their partition to the other 2 cabins. :(

we got a balcony on one cruise and the divider wasnt locked and during the night it was banging in the wind so the next morning we got the steward to lock it so it wouldnt disturb us during the night

But it's much more than that on the Coral/Island. The cabins are paired off on this deck. There isn't a partition door on BOTH sides - only 1 side and that should be noted on the deck plans and I don't think it is. It makes it very hard for people that are planning to open the partitions to figure out how it works. For example, say there are 3 of you in a row of balcony cabins on that deck. One of those cabins will be out in the cold. They won't be able to open their partition to the other 2 cabins. :(

Agree, many are not noted.

Does make it hard to plan.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks for the reply's , but I cant seem to find anything on the website deck plan about balcony doors . If someone knows we are in cabins C224 and C220,it is not a big deal just would be handy

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply's , but I cant seem to find anything on the website deck plan about balcony doors . If someone knows we are in cabins C224 and C220,it is not a big deal just would be handy

Thanks again

Are you sure about C224? It's an inside cabin. My best guess would be these pairs have a partition door that can be opened between them:

C230 & C228

C226 & C222

C220 & C218

C216 & C214

C212 & C210

C208 & C206

Are you sure about C224? It's an inside cabin. My best guess would be these pairs have a partition door that can be opened between them:

C230 & C228

C226 & C222

C220 & C218

C216 & C214

C212 & C210

C208 & C206

Yes it is definitely C224 & C220 deck 10 on the Diamond and it is definitely a balcony cabin

C230 & C228

C226 & C222

C220 & C218

C216 & C214

C212 & C210

C208 & C206

Don't believe there are issues on Caribe deck. There are definitely balcony partitions without doors on one side of most cabins aft on Emerald deck in cabins from E624 to E737 and on Dolphin deck in cabins from D311 to D402 and D422 to D615.

I would highly recommend taking a bungee cord or two to tie the door open after the room steward unlocks it. Keeps it from swinging and making noise while the ship is in motion and/or the wind is blowing.

Edited by gooch47

Beware of the 'common wisdom' posted here so often.

See this thread for a helpful picture.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=41987612&postcount=12

The information about balcony doors not opening between cabins at the firewalls is correct, but only for the Sun, Sea and Dawn. The issue is people making generalizations based upon their experience on one ship. As your photo shows, that is not true of the Grand class ships. I try only to comment about items which I have personal experience. I had D400 on the Sapphire and I can confirm that the balcony partition between D400 and D330 at the firewall definitely had a door in the partition that could be opened.

Not firewall related but, as others have mentioned, there are many cabins on the Coral and Island that have issues. The photos are from Tom O's great website.

You can see the diagonal members that block almost every other partition on a large portion of Dolphin deck. They appear to be supports that are not needed on the similar Dolphin deck mini-suite balconies on Grand class ships.

coralprincessoutsidebalview.jpg

You can see the solid bulkheads that block almost every other partition aft on Emerald deck.

photo-g-1.jpg.w560h372.jpg

Fortunately the website now shows what balcony dividers don't have doors that open to adjacent balconies AND the information actually appear to be correct :rolleyes: