Trying Carnival again-5 in an inside

edawn

My dh and I have only been on one Carnival cruise and we’ve done 6 NCL and one RCI. We were on the Imagination out of Miami that left right after hurricane Isaac went through. So we realize that things with this cruise were just off. The ship came in late because the port was closed- outside the port area was CRAZY! The muster drill was at 3 o’clock in the morning. The crew was exhausted. We missed Key West. So these things were really out of Carnival’s control and they handled things well for the most part. Other things like the ship seemed a little dirty, and the buffet with the lines and lack of seating (maybe this was due to everyone being up until 3 am for the muster drill and we all ended up in the buffet at the same time) would seem to be under their control. We had gone with traditional dining and I think we’ve decided we just don’t care for it. In all we enjoyed our cruise but just weren’t wowed. Okay, so now we’ve booked the Elation 5 day out of NOLA for 6/28/14. This cruise will be different for us because our children will be with us. My dd age 20, ds age 14 and dh’s dd age 11. We are all booked in an inside cabin so Carnival may have their work cut out for them making this a great cruise. I know, everyone will say “what were you thinking booking everyone in the same room?” Three reasons- the price difference was large, it was hard to figure out who to put in cabins together and the three kids would end up hanging out in the room too much if they had their own room (and I want to spend time with them). So with 5 people in a room, us new to cruising with kids and us being new to CCL, I need advice and tips. We did choose my time dining this time so maybe that will be better. Are there always lines at the buffet? How are the shows for our age group of kids? We only saw half of one on our cruise…something broke and the show was canceled. What kinds of things are there for kids to do onboard? I’ll probably have more questions but I'm determined to make this a great cruise!

Thanks!

Keep checking often on upgrades specials for a larger room. The difference in the price may affordable if Carnival is running a special.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You guys know if you can do it...and with the ages of the kids..it is probably the last time...like this. The 20 year old might like the regressed security feeling..before the next launch.

When 14, my dad got to be the real cowboy and rancher he had always wanted to be..I am oldest of 4 girls...when we moved from the biggest Montana 'city' to the ranch was a rough day for me..

But the best family memories we all have are the first year we were living in a 50's manufactured home single wide trailer while house was being redone with 2 tiny bedrooms..washing machine in the one bath and dryer on the entry porch. The storms in that trailer...at 6000 feet...and just the vast beauty...and incredible work..together..epic.

The best growing up trips were in a tent and then a trailer.

Yes mom and dad's 50th with 4 time share condos was heaven..I had my own room and bath.

But the small quarter times..that afford the real sharing...giggles..and dad yelling out.."yahoo mountain dew" every morning...that joy in his youth at 54 myself, is such a sweet memory.

Kudos for getting in what you can nowadays and as much as you can...it is awesome...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

If you have been camping with 5 in a tent, this will be no sweat;)! Most people do not spend that much time in the stateroom.

That's my theory as well! We did five in an inside with 3 teenagers several years ago. As long as you stay organized, it's fine. I'm doing five in an inside next month, with my DD and 3 of her friends. I just need to remember to pack the over-the-door organizer, which was by far the most important item we packed to prevent clutter! (And with 4 teenaged girls in the room, I'm sure we will be making use of the spa showers!).

Edited by moobear67

I am going to be honest with you...I don't know how you are going to do it with 5 people in an inside cabin. We had the five of us in a Balcony cabin last year on the Triumph and it was doable BUT, we had the balcony that people could escape to. Also, my 3 kids were 8,7 and 3 at the time so the were way smaller than your children. We are going on the Magic in 2 weeks and we ended up splurging for connecting balcony rooms. I would do all 5 of us in a balcony again if we had to...it really wasn't that bad but, if we didn't have the outside space to go to I just don't think that would have worked at all. Your only hope is that the kids are old enough and hopefully they will meet people and not be in the cabin much when you are but to sleep.:eek:

My dh and I have only been on one Carnival cruise and we’ve done 6 NCL and one RCI. We were on the Imagination out of Miami that left right after hurricane Isaac went through. So we realize that things with this cruise were just off. The ship came in late because the port was closed- outside the port area was CRAZY! The muster drill was at 3 o’clock in the morning. The crew was exhausted. We missed Key West. So these things were really out of Carnival’s control and they handled things well for the most part. Other things like the ship seemed a little dirty, and the buffet with the lines and lack of seating (maybe this was due to everyone being up until 3 am for the muster drill and we all ended up in the buffet at the same time) would seem to be under their control. We had gone with traditional dining and I think we’ve decided we just don’t care for it. In all we enjoyed our cruise but just weren’t wowed. Okay, so now we’ve booked the Elation 5 day out of NOLA for 6/28/14. This cruise will be different for us because our children will be with us. My dd age 20, ds age 14 and dh’s dd age 11. We are all booked in an inside cabin so Carnival may have their work cut out for them making this a great cruise. I know, everyone will say “what were you thinking booking everyone in the same room?” Three reasons- the price difference was large, it was hard to figure out who to put in cabins together and the three kids would end up hanging out in the room too much if they had their own room (and I want to spend time with them). So with 5 people in a room, us new to cruising with kids and us being new to CCL, I need advice and tips. We did choose my time dining this time so maybe that will be better. Are there always lines at the buffet? How are the shows for our age group of kids? We only saw half of one on our cruise…something broke and the show was canceled. What kinds of things are there for kids to do onboard? I’ll probably have more questions but I'm determined to make this a great cruise!

Thanks!

Once time we were 5 adults DH,DD(20)DS(18)DN(19)and myself

we booked 2 OV connected cabins we keep the door open at all times and work great for us was one of the best cruises we ever had.:)

Edited by Isasprings

I have done 14 cruises. One was with 5 in the cabin, the others were with 4 (except the Dream, which somehow was cheaper to get 2 cabins, than 4 in an inside:confused:) So of the 13 with 4 in a cabin, I can say there is NO problem. My kids are teenagers now, and I will continue to book 4 in a cabin. The trick is to be organized. Definitely bring an over the door shoe organizer to put all the small things (belts, scarves, phone chargers, etc.)

My kids and I always over pack and it still works fine. We are hardly ever all in the cabin at the same time anyway, except to sleep.