Internships on cruise ships?

wk1226

Hi, My name is William! So I'm a C&A member, have been on 7 cruises and I am 20. I love Royal and everything they stand for. I was wondering if anyone knows if they have an internship program for college students?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not know for sure, but I recommend that you call the cruise to find out.

I did a little searching and they did have an internshiop program called Emerging Leaders, in 2012. They choose approx 90 students for a summer internship. I do not know if they still have it though. I would definitely give them a call and hopefully they still have it and can tell you how to apply.

I did a little searching and they did have an internshiop program called Emerging Leaders, in 2012. They choose approx 90 students for a summer internship. I do not know if they still have it though. I would definitely give them a call and hopefully they still have it and can tell you how to apply.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. I'll be sure to call!

go the rccl website, then at the bottom, click on careers, which will bring you to their career opportunity page where you need to click "corporate office".

On this page, go to "US careers" and you'll see "internships" listed as an option you can select to apply for.

never knew they had an internship program!

They have an internship program. I got accepted to it in 2010 but had to pass due to logistical reasons. It is only on land and in Florida though. Depending on the area it'll be in Miami (headquarters), Miramar (IT and call center), or Hollywood (entertainment). Not sure if they have other locations as well but they do meetup days where everyone goes to Miami so they are all relatively close to their.

Hey William!

I did the internship program last year and it was unbelievable!! Highly recommend it!

The internship is not on ships, it is in the HQ in Miami and is 2 months in length.

I believe this year you may have missed out as they usually advertise it in February and I found out I got accepted in late March but if you are a college student you should look into it for next year!!

:)

S

I am curious of what exactly they stand for??

They stand for customer service, quality, and putting out a service that is unlike any other line I've been on. I may only be 20 but I've been on several different lines, and I believe Royal has the best of ALL worlds

College students who are Juniors and Seniors are eligible to apply :)

Interesting. I really want to be on a ship, but I'll still look into it

I wish they did on ship internships but oh well!

The internship program is a great way to learn the corporate side, a lot of the employees in the HQ have come from ships so they have a lot of knowledge on the whole operations of the company. (Interns also usually get a day visit on one of the ships, behind the scenes and everything, so amazing perks :) )

If you have next summer free then totally go for it! I have the same opinions of the company, I'm passionate about it, and went for it last year and it's the best decision I ever made! :)

Hi, My name is William! So I'm a C&A member, have been on 7 cruises and I am 20. I love Royal and everything they stand for. I was wondering if anyone knows if they have an internship program for college students?!

Hello William,

RCCI does have an internship program called "Rising Seniors". My son is gong to intern with RCCI this summer. They have many programs available from hospitality, food service, etc. He is going to intern in the finance department and work at corp. headquaters in Miami. I think that at this time the program is closed for this summer. The program goes online in Jan or Feb and the application is online at that time. There is a min. GPA and some other requirements. GOOD LUCK!!

Unfortunately, the retention rate for US crewmembers is so poor, that they don't really recruit for a lot of areas. Entertainers, show techs, cruise staff, and some deck/engine officers who care to get a Bahamian/Panamanian license are the ones that come to my mind right away.

You'll notice that the internships are under the corporate headquarters jobs, and don't mention anything about shipboard positions. I believe all of RCI's shipboard jobs are filled through crewing agencies, and the first question is "country of origin".

Edited by chengkp75

I got to ask is your last name Clinton

It depends on your skills. You can sometimes get contracting jobs aboard. Some of my students worked the summer aboard, updating the network infrastructure on the ships. They changed ships roughly every 15 days, and worked 5-8 hours per day. The rest of the time, they had full access to the ship and all the activities, including pools, shows, etc.

If you are working on an in-demand technical degree, there might be some options with various cruise lines.

Not quite the same thing but we have a neighbor that did semesteratsea.org and really enjoyed it. If the internship doesn't work out, it might be something to look into.

Good luck!

I looked into that and thought it looked amazing! Unfortunately I think Id need to sell a limb to pay for it lol

I think the OP should internship on a ship for the Summer.

Become a Jr.Crew member.

Spend time with engineering down below for a few weeks.

He can help in food service by working in the kitchen.

Also Hospitality, where you can be in housekeeping.

Great practical, hands-on experience would be priceless...

Become a Jr.Crew member.

If only those types of internships existed on Royal!

Become a Jr.Crew member.

I'm pretty sure you're tongue in cheek, but there would be problems with this. Just in the hotel department (food service or housekeeping) the time and effort needed to train the interns would eat into the work schedule of the regular employees, with possible repercussions in guest services.

Also, there are severely limited unoccupied crew cabin space.

Finally, for the deck or engine departments, the interns would either have to obtain a mariner's credential from Panama, Philippines, or Indonesia, and join that nation's Seafarer's union. Doing this through the USCG and US unions would cost several thousand dollars just for a few month internship. The "interns" in these departments are cadets from the various countries' maritime academies.