Convertible pants needed?

ClaireyBear

I've read that it is advisable to get convertible pants, so if it gets hot and we're trekking around the countryside, we can just zip off the bottom.

I don't usually "do" shorts, so this seems like a waste of $60-$90 dollars to me. Do any of you wish that you had brought them, though?

I wouldn't say essential, but they can be zipped and unzipped in different ways without becoming shorts. My favorites can be unzipped on the sides but snapped at the bottom so they aren't flapping. I have one pair that unzips to capri length for a change.

Check REI outlet and Sierra Trading Post for inexpensive options.

Like cruznut1111, we live in the land where if you don't like the weather all you have to do is wait 15 minutes. I don't own a pair of zip off pants - I own three of them! You will survive without them, but we always take ours to Alaska. They are part of our overall layers plan. We've started out in Skagway at 40 degrees and drizzle and ended up at Emerald Lake in the mid 80's on the same day. But don't pay $90 - that's robbery!

If you know anyone in Canada, ask them to go to Costco and get you a pair of BC Clothing Co. zip off pants and mail them to you. You'll probably be sub-$40 including the postage.

I have a very short inseam (27.5") so I cannot buy off the rack. I have found perfect fit pants, but they all seem to have boot zips at the bottom of the legs. Has anyone had success getting these shortened (for a reasonable cost) by a tailor? If not, have you found any with plain leg bottoms?

Thanks.

I have a very short inseam (27.5") so I cannot buy off the rack. I have found perfect fit pants, but they all seem to have boot zips at the bottom of the legs. Has anyone had success getting these shortened (for a reasonable cost) by a tailor? If not, have you found any with plain leg bottoms?

Thanks.

Mike, I am short and always have to hem pants. Zippers at the bottom are no big deal. As I do my own sewing, I usually just shorten the zipper, and this will be easy for any tailor. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks over what you normally pay. If you want the full zip available, the zipper can also be moved when your tailor shortens the pants, but this would take more effort and thus raise cost a bit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mike, I am short and always have to hem pants. Zippers at the bottom are no big deal. As I do my own sewing, I usually just shorten the zipper, and this will be easy for any tailor. Shouldn't cost more than a few bucks over what you normally pay. If you want the full zip available, the zipper can also be moved when your tailor shortens the pants, but this would take more effort and thus raise cost a bit.

I have some full zip rain pants (too long, of course:)) that I was going to take to the tailor tomorrow to get an estimate. The price would have played into my purchase decision for the convertible pants. Now I feel confident i can buy the perfect fit boot zips and get them altered at a reasonable cost.

Edited by Mike2131

Like cruznut1111, we live in the land where if you don't like the weather all you have to do is wait 15 minutes. I don't own a pair of zip off pants - I own three of them! You will survive without them, but we always take ours to Alaska. They are part of our overall layers plan. We've started out in Skagway at 40 degrees and drizzle and ended up at Emerald Lake in the mid 80's on the same day. But don't pay $90 - that's robbery!

If you know anyone in Canada, ask them to go to Costco and get you a pair of BC Clothing Co. zip off pants and mail them to you. You'll probably be sub-$40 including the postage.

Just picked up a pair for DH this week...$19.95 + HST. Look just like Tilley, but 1/4 the price,

Marilyn