For those who have sailed the Mexican Riviera

emarismom

I am considering taking the Miracle out of Long Beach for New Year's, but am wondering if it would be worth the cost. We are a family of 4 who live in Miami. We have taken 13 cruises, most to the Caribbean, but also Europe, Canada, Alaska. We have gone to almost all of the islands in the Caribbean multiple times.

Needless to say, we need a change. We are locked into the school calendar, so have to sail at peak times. For us to take this cruise it would cost over 5K between cruise and airfare. We have sailed on the Miracle before, and while we had a great time (southern Caribbean itinerary), I really prefer the newer ships with more activities.

We have not been to LA, so would be able to spend some time there.

Opinions please.

I personally wouldn't spend that much on a mexican riveria cruise. Especially if it is two days in cabo. since you like the newer ships you know what is available on the miracle. I have done this cruise 5 times but i live really close by.

I've been to the Mexican Rivera several times. While I enjoy it, I don't know that I would spend that kind of money on it. We live in Arizona so we always are able to drive and save the airfare.

We really love Cabo and loved it when we went on a cruise that stopped there twice. Puerto Vallarta is also nice, and they have some nice excursions there.

The main problem with the Mexican Riviera is the weather the first and last sea day is usually not very good. Kind of cool and very windy, so if you are used to the Carribean where you wake up the first sea day and hang outside all day, that may not work for you on the Mexican Riviera. We have had Mexican Riviera cruises where the weather is better than other times. But it has never been great weather the first and last day. If you are more of an inside kind of activities person you will be fine.

If you have your heart set on a cruise and this is what you can find that works for you and you don't mind spending the money, I would go for it. Just realize it is kind of expensive for what you are getting in my opinion.

If the itinerary is still 2 days is Cabo I would pass there is just not that much to do there. My boys (older teens) were bored there a bit. I wish they would do something different there.

I would skip the cruise and do Disneyland the cost would be about the same. The new cars area is a real blast and worth seeing.

I would actually prefer to do a land based trip (I really want northern California-is New Years a good time for that?), but my kids only want to cruise. I may have to make an executive decision in this case, as I really can't find any cruise that seems worth it.

All of the cruise lines need to start coming out we some new itineraries.

I would stick to the Caribbean. There are only two port Cabo and Puerto Vallarta and the water/beaches are not as nice as Caribbean. The towns are very similar to Cozumel which I figure you have been to.

Have you looked at New Orleans or Galveston? Maybe take a cruise from San Juan southern route?

If you do come west to L.A. There is Disneyland, Universal Studios, Knots berry Farms, Hollywood and Venice beach.

Hope this helps.

I haven't spent as much time in Northern Cali as I have south the temps will be cool but still pleasant, but I am coming from Utah where it is usually below 0 in January. San Fran will be in the 50's it is very pretty up north much more forest to see. If you go as far as lake Tahoe it will be parka weather and there will be snow, but it is gorgeous. If you go south you have all the theme parks plus 6 flags. It is about an hour and a half to San Diego there you have SeaWorld and Balboa park. I love going there. You could keep yourself very busy with a land vacation to California. We love to go to Disney for the Christmas Season the decorations are amazing and the weather is usually in the 60's.

Edited by saltsandknit

All the theme parks in California are awesome and I'm sure Disneyland would be awesome on New Years. They will still have the Christmas decorations up. However, it may be very crowded. If crowds don't bother you I would definitely go to Disneyland, but I'm a disneyland nut. If you decide to do that you should get the book the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland as it will help you get through the crowds easier. Northern California is great too, it will be a little on the cool side, but you could still do all the San Francisco attractions. Good luck with whatever you decide on, I'm sure you will have a great vacation whatever you decide.

We just did the Southern Caribbean route a month ago. We are done with theme parks for a long time. If we fly to California, I would go to the San Francisco area, but I am not sure if I could go to Yosemite in the winter. Will have to look into that.

We had season passes to Disney World and Universal for years. My son went to California last year on a school trip and went to Knotts Berry Farm. Thanks for the tips, I am going to try to plan on northern California.

If we fly to California, I would go to the San Francisco area, but I am not sure if I could go to Yosemite in the winter. Will have to look into that.

I would not count on Yosemite in winter. I live on the other side of the Sierras close to Lake Tahoe, and while we had a very mild winter this year, there is no telling what will happen next year. The whole area could be buried in multiple feet of snow and inaccessible. Unless you plan to come up this way to ski, it's really not an optimal time to visit. Having done the Mexican Riviera only once myself, I have to agree with the others that it's not worth the expense of flying cross-country at that time of year. Sorry I don't have any better suggestions!

I've been to the Mexican Rivera several times. While I enjoy it, I don't know that I would spend that kind of money on it. We live in Arizona so we always are able to drive and save the airfare.

We really love Cabo and loved it when we went on a cruise that stopped there twice. Puerto Vallarta is also nice, and they have some nice excursions there.

The main problem with the Mexican Riviera is the weather the first and last sea day is usually not very good. Kind of cool and very windy, so if you are used to the Carribean where you wake up the first sea day and hang outside all day, that may not work for you on the Mexican Riviera. We have had Mexican Riviera cruises where the weather is better than other times. But it has never been great weather the first and last day. If you are more of an inside kind of activities person you will be fine.

If you have your heart set on a cruise and this is what you can find that works for you and you don't mind spending the money, I would go for it. Just realize it is kind of expensive for what you are getting in my opinion.

Exactly. We also live in AZ and have done Mexican Riviera. I prefer the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have to agree with the others on this one. I have done the MR twice and I don't think we would do it again. Cabo is ok but the Caribbean has much better beaches. If you do decide to go ahead with it you should try to work Disney in. We just went to DLR for four days and then took a four day cruise out of LB on the Inspiration. It kind of covered all aspects of the vacation for everyone.

For someone who grew up in the Sonoma/Napa area, I would pass on site seeing during the winter. Like another poster stated it is hit or miss but if you hit bad weather it is usually really bad.

I'm from Los Angeles and I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a NYE cruise to the Riviera. I'd rather to go puerto Vallarta and stay for a week or 10 days.

That being said, I do enjoy that cruise and being from Los Angeles, I always recommend visiting our city. 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Fitzget

Caribbean for sure! Like it was said, the only reason I'm doing this cruise again is because of the airfare I'm saving. The water in December will be on the chilly side and we don't have the beautiful teal blue water as the Caribbean. Sorry, love my weather year around, but not ideal for yummy cruises. :(

It is also looking like an el nino year coming up so weather should be pretty nasty. Check out weather west dot com if you want to read about it. I live in the bay area and they are some great things to do out here. But coming from Miami I would be a bit wearey of the weather.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

I would agree that it's too much money for a cruise to the Mexican Riviera...but, I like your land based vacation idea. San Francisco is beautiful at Christmas time and you could see it along with a few other places on the coast, like Santa Cruz and Monterey/Carmel...possibly even traveling down to Big Sur during that time. You won't be swimming in the ocean at that time of year but there's some beautiful sites to see and lots to do.

HI,

I live in the SF area and can tell you the weather here around Thanksgiving is usually between 50- 60. This year it was very dry and sunny. I hope and have a feeling this year will be different. With this said, I have driven to Yosemite during this time with snow on the ground. One of the most breath taking times visiting Yosemite. There is plenty to do in Northern California, Wine country, Gold Country and of course San Francisco itself. If you are thinking of Thanksgiving time, I would start making reservations pretty quick. Hotels book up fast in San Francisco. If you do decided to come to Northern California and stay in SF look for hotels in the union Square district.

All the theme parks in California are awesome and I'm sure Disneyland would be awesome on New Years. They will still have the Christmas decorations up. However, it may be very crowded.

I used to live outside of LA and Disney is a zoo at New Years. They usually close the gates before lunch because it is packed to the brim. If you get on 5 rides all day, you will be lucky. Don't go there on New Years.

If Mexico is your thing, then you may want to go to an AI or something at that time. Or maybe a New Year cruise to Hawaii. Or you could try a different cruise line?

I live in Northern California and spending that kind of money on a cruise to Mexico isn't worth it. I would do an all inclusive land vacation. The water will be brown and cold. It is nothing like the pretty warm turquoise water of the Caribbean. Cancun has beautiful beaches and is very touristy but that isn't available with the cruises here. You might try Hawaii because that itinerary is more scenic. The 3 or 4 day cruises are jokes, they go to Catalina Island (kindof like Key West) and Ensenada, which is more like a pit stop with Senor Frogs and other tourist areas that keep Cruise passengers busy for the few hours they are docked.

I only do land all inclusives from here, and when I cruise, I fly to Florida.

For New Years around here, a lot of people head to Vegas since its a 8 hour drive. They do have a couple of cruises out of San Francisco but not with Carnival, so the prices may be even higher. It would definitely be cheaper to fly out of Ft. Lauderdale though.

How far into Northern California do you want to go? San Francisco is the pretty much the southern border of Northern California. There's another 7-8 hour drive before you hit Oregon.

Lots of beautiful country up there in the Coastal Redwood areas.

If Yosemite is closed, Sequoia and Kings Canyon are usually open. They are just as old as Yosemite but on the western side of the Sierras.

North of San Francisco, California is a completely different state.

Hopefully the predictions are correct. Last El Niño season we had was 10 years ago. Rain started just before Halloween and didn't end til Memorial Day. We had many weeks of what I call 'fire hose rain'.

Honestly, it is very hard to find anything that my kids are interested in. They are 18 and 15 and love meeting people on cruises and having kids to hang out with. My hubby and I love having vacations with and without the kids;). An all inclusive may or may not have other teens for them to hang out with.

The prices of the NYE cruises are ridiculous. I have done Christmas and NYE in the past, this year the prices are higher and I have done all the ports.

I am going to keep looking. I guess I should be happy that the biggest issue in my life is where to go on vacay.

Have you looked into western caribbean out of Galveston? May not be on Carnival, but it might be different and not as far to travel.

We did the MR several years ago and it was fun, but I wouldn't spend that kind of money and fly across the country for it. The one thing we did that was particularly unique to that area is the tequila factory tour. Everything else could have been anywhere else pretty much.

I feel your pain about trying to work around school. I get frustrated since one is in college and they get done a full week or more earlier and start at least a week later each semester than the high school and those weeks would be much better opportunities to travel.