Packing snacks for my toddler

eek333

I have read on the RCI website that we can only bring wine on board. How strict are they on water bottles and juice boxes (for our 4 year old)? Also, can we bring snacks, like goldfish, apple sauce, etc.?

We always bring goldfish, granola bars and applesauce for our dd (also 4). We bring her camelback water bottle and use the ice and water from our cabin. You shouldn't have a problem with pre-packaged items. I believe juice boxes are ok as well, although I can't speak from personal experience.

Enjoy your cruise!:)

I have read on the RCI website that we can only bring wine on board. How strict are they on water bottles and juice boxes (for our 4 year old)? Also, can we bring snacks, like goldfish, apple sauce, etc.?

You can also take individual cereal boxes from the Windjammer (during breakfast hours) for snacks later in the day, if she likes those. As I remember they have bulk cereal available in the Main Dining Room at breakfast too. If you bring zip bags I don't think they would mind if you bring a bowl back to your table and discreetly fill the baggies there.

I find that on some cruises Cheerios run low later in the cruise, stock up early if that is her preference or ask a crew member if there are more.

Edited by nanner10

we brought crackers, coconut water, granola bars and animal crackers

But she didn't it eat all, there was so much food at all times that we barely needed to use what we brought

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We brought juice boxes on board, just packed in our regular carry-on so they don't get squished. No problem at all, though we really didn't end up using them. There is so much choice of food onboard, even for picky children, that snacks and juice boxes didn't end up being used.

Enjoy!

You can also take individual cereal boxes from the Windjammer (during breakfast hours) for snacks later in the day, if she likes those. As I remember they have bulk cereal available in the Main Dining Room at breakfast too. If you bring zip bags I don't think they would mind if you bring a bowl back to your table and discreetly fill the baggies there.

I find that on some cruises Cheerios run low later in the cruise, stock up early if that is her preference or ask a crew member if there are more.

fill baggies from the dining area??? oh my heavens

facepalm.jpg

fill baggies from the dining area??? oh my heavens

Seriously?

They have a small child.

Its breakfast time and more casual than dinner.

If they discreetly put some Cheerios in a bag is everyone going to faint from the uncouthness of it all?

I think people can handle it without a lot of drama. But then again, given your reply, maybe not. :rolleyes:

Edited to add: I just read your other posts; that explains it. Welcome to Cruise critic posting. I am heading to the kitchen to make some popcorn.

PS: I did note the CC name.

Signed,

Gilligan

Edited by nanner10
Troll or not a troll, that is the question.

My kids are grown, but seeing what they have onboard, my boys would have never been hungry. I would certainly grab a few boxes of cereal in the WJ to keep on hand, but after juice at breakfast and milk with meals, water is all a toddler really needs. I wouldn't bring much, if anything. Maybe some goldfish, but you can get pretty much everything you need in the MDR, WJ and from room service. Also, another great snack if you're on a ship with the Promenade cafe (or from Park Cafe) is grab a premade sandwich and take it apart. Most kids will happily eat cheese, turkey, bread, yogurt and crackers all which are available all day. You can also request applesauce in the MDR at mealtimes. I think toddlers are very easy to feed onboard.

Edited by BND

Seriously?

They have a small child.

Its breakfast time and more casual than dinner.

If they discreetly put some Cheerios in a bag is everyone going to faint from the uncouthness of it all?

I think people can handle it without a lot of drama. But then again, given your reply, maybe not. :rolleyes:

Edited to add: I just read your other posts; that explains it. Welcome to Cruise critic posting. I am heading to the kitchen to make some popcorn.

PS: I did note the CC name.

Signed,

Gilligan

thats thurston howell btw. im james thurston

Do as you like however know that some will look down at the person and shake their head. What happened to the days when cruising was about elegance and class?

Edited by JamesThurstonIII

While as other posted have noted there will be plenty of food available in the venues during meal times, I would definitely suggest bringing some sealed packages of your child's favorite snacks to have handy in your cabin for when he or she needs a quick snack between meals and you're not ready to run to the main dining room and don't want to call room service, etc.

They are also great to bring ashore since they are sealed to have for excursions, too.

Do as you like however know that some will look down at the person and shake their head. What happened to the days when cruising was about elegance and class?

Lol. Nothing involving a toddler is about elegance and class. Lighten up. The cereal might keep the kid from a meltdown later on that would disturb your elegant dinner/poolside drink/whatever.

We have twice cruised with an infant and toddler and didnt need milk, juice, or cereal. HOWEVER, the snacks we did need were pretzels, goldfish, and raisins. Waiting 15minutes for room service to deliver cheese or cookies was so not happening. We would always keep a running stock of cereal, yogurt, milk from the wimdjammer. And ordered cheese and fruit every night to have on hand as well.

I also have brought small plastic take and toss snack cups to either the mdr or wj and filled with grapes, berries, cereal. They were great. And I suppose they were classier then a baggie because no one ever seemed to care I was filling them.

There's so much food available, including room service, so we don't bring any snacks for our little boy. :D

As others have stated, taking food onto the ship, it must be sealed, factory packaged, ready to eat food. This is a USPH requirement, not a cruise line decision.

Taking food off the ship is a matter for local health regulations, and will generally also require it to be sealed, factory packaged, ready to eat food. Some countries tend to be even more strict, and ban all nut products, or similar, even if factory packaged.

Having said that, internally to the ship, anything you need to do to keep the miniature eating machine happy is fine. Given the manners, sanitation, and hygiene of many adult diners at the buffet, taking a baggie of cereal is not unreasonable. Just follow some rules: Use a fresh bag every time, try not to let the bag contact the dispenser or scoop used to get the cereal, and don't let the munchkin have some while standing in line. I would avoid a reusable container, as there is no guarantee that you have sanitized this between uses, and the serving staff can object. Use a baggie, and then refill your snack container at your table or in your cabin.

Have a good time, and hope your little one gets hooked early.

You must not have kids lol! If anyone looks down on her it'll be the people who don't have kids. With kids you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. Class or elegance has nothing to do with it. It's called being a parent

Seriously?

Gilligan

Nanner, they do make a legit point in regards to one fact. Possible contamination IF the zip lock bag is reused. New zip lock, no problem. A reused zip lock and the serving scoop contacts the bag then we have contamination. I am certain the OP would use a new bag though. Perhaps the OP wouldn't want to use the bulk cereal in case a previous person contaminated the spoon. UGH, I shouldn't think about these types of things. :eek:

I do not like what Thirston (legit or joke poster) is driving at from his short tenure here at CC. However, in this one aspect, he might not have realized he was behind the wheel of the car, in regards to food safety. I am all in favor of it, just like everyone else.

OP, I also love happy kiddies as we have one. Boxed cereals from the WJ are great, bagged chips from Park Café, and I have heard that the packed sandwiches are also OK to take off the ship. As for items to eat on board your choices are never ending.

Here is a small tip. For juice boxed we have but them in a large zip lock in our suitecase just in case one breaks. We also do the same with the Johnson and Johnson shampoo and toothpaste. They also sell minute maid juice packages on board which comes in bottles. You can different juices or just one type, such as apple for example.

Have a great time with your 4 years old. Our DS first cruise was at 5 and he had a blast. Enjoy your cruise.:)

Edited by A&L_Ont

Bring whatever you think you need.

In the end you will probably use very little.

We used to bring stuff only to find it untouched & forgotten when we were packing the last night of the voyage...

Funny, because it is true.

You are concerned about elegance and class, huh? You do realize you're posting on a forum who's cruise line still offers the belly flop contest?:confused: Now that's classy.

You are concerned about elegance and class, huh? You do realize you're posting on a forum who's cruise line still offers the belly flop contest?:confused: Now that's classy.

Lol belly flop contest and you can't forget the Quest show! Men in bras is very classy and elegant lol