Only sailed Princess-would I like NCL Dawn?

Labbiemomx2

My husband and I went on our first cruise a few weeks ago on the Ruby Princess. Loved it. Have decided we will take the kids next spring break. (ages 9, 11, and 13). Would like to sail out of New Orleans or Houston/Galveston and our choices are Carnival Dream, NCL Jewel or Dawn, Navigator of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, or Emerald Princess. The best deal price wise is NCL Dawn because they have the family suites, but I have read a lot of negative things about that ship. Would appreciate and thoughts or suggestions

You really should try to figure out what you like about cruising and what particularly made you recent experience enjoyable. While NCL may offer the best price, there will be certain add-ons. For a family group like yours, Royal Caribbean then Carnival might provide the best overall atmosphere. Princess is good, but probably more aimed at the grown-up among you than the others.

I would suggest that you read several reviews (always recognizing that tastes are very personal and subjective) -- but you may be able to get a feel for what the posters say, and how they say it, so you can have a sense of how applicable the reviews might be for your group.

My husband and I went on our first cruise a few weeks ago on the Ruby Princess. Loved it. Have decided we will take the kids next spring break. (ages 9, 11, and 13). Would like to sail out of New Orleans or Houston/Galveston and our choices are Carnival Dream, NCL Jewel or Dawn, Navigator of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, or Emerald Princess. The best deal price wise is NCL Dawn because they have the family suites, but I have read a lot of negative things about that ship. Would appreciate and thoughts or suggestions

We also were apprehensive about sailing NCL due to all the negative comments on Cruise Critic. We decided to go ahead and book anyway and we all (myself, DH, and teenage daughter) are so glad that we did! NCL is much friendlier than Princess. Both staff and officers. We also think that customer service is better on NCL.

Aside from all that, we have found that most cruises are very similar to each other. What you'll typically find is that there will be things that each cruise line does better than the others. They all will have different weaknesses too.

For instance: Princess dining room food is slightly better than NCL's dining room, but Princess's buffet IMHO sucks! While NCL has a decent buffet.

We love Princess. I would choose the Emerald. With that said, the NCL Dawn is an older ship but is in great shape. We enjoyed sailing on this ship right after our Allure sailing.

There are "add-ons" on all ships and you can choose them or not.

We enjoyed the freestyle concept, dine when you want, etc. The staff was excellent and we thought the food was good.

Food is subjective for everyone.

NCL has the best suites and if you can grab a family suite for your sailing, go for it. You have to do it and decide for yourself.

All the lines have there weaknesses and strengths. I am not sure what offerings the Dawn has for children. Here you can find out more about the Dawn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107:)

Edited by janetz

I've been on both the Ruby and Dawn. There is no comparison. In my opinion, Dawn is a huge step down. In fact, it's about my least favorite ship I have been on.

If you loved the Ruby, I recommend either the Emerald Princess or any of the Royal Caribbean choices. In my opinion, RCI and Princess are very comparable lines with Carnival and NCL being a step down. With the kids, I highly recommend Navigator of the Seas.

Not necessarily a step down. Just different. Every cruise line has its own flavour and ways of doing things.

We have been on most of the major lines offered and enjoyed our cruise on the NCL Gem, sister to the Dawn.

Layout is the same and enough to do and see. We are booked on the Dawn for this fall, going to Bermuda.

A day on a cruise is always better than a day at work. LOL

Edited by t_car
spelling and content

Not necessarily a step down. Just different. Every cruise line has its own flavour and ways of doing things.

We have been on most of the major lines offered and enjoyed our cruise on the NCL Gem, sister to the Dawn.

Layout is the same and enough to do and see. We are booked on the Dawn for this fall, going to Bermuda.

Ditto!

:p A bad day on a cruise is better then a good day at work! (if there is such a thing as a bad day on a cruise)

Edited by janetz

We have been on the Ruby and on the Dawn. Liked both of them. I think with children you might like the freestyle a bit more ,it's more casual. I would give it a try ! The Dawn sails out of Boston to Bermuda so it has been our choice for many cruises.

Hi my wife Evelyn and myself have cruised on most lines including Seabourn & NCL and we would have no hesitation in going with NCL again -the reason I mention Seabourn along with NCL is, to us they had similarities in an area that is missing in many cruise lines, that being, they made us feel welcome -that they were there to ensure we enjoyed ourselves, sure huge difference in meals etc. but we always felt "special" by kind acts of the crew and nothing was too much trouble - that's what you want from Airlines, hotels ,cruise lines when you have earned a nice holiday

Regards Dave d

Are you sure that Gem is sister to the Dawn? I thought Star was since Star and Dawn both replaced bow Spinnaker with suites.

Are you sure that Gem is sister to the Dawn? I thought Star was since Star and Dawn both replaced bow Spinnaker with suites.

They're similar, but you are right. Gem and Dawn are not sisters. Replacing Spinnaker with suites and moving it to that small, clausterphobic room was a crap idea.

Op...Spinnaker is the alternative show lounge...like the Explorer's Lounge or Club Fusion on Ruby Princess. It used to be all the way up top, forward, looking out over the front of the ship. But the location to which they moved it, it gets over crowded and unless you get there very early, you cant see the stage because of the crowding and all the columns in the room. It's an awful design.

....we have found that most cruises are very similar to each other. .....

Yes, that is true. They all have ships that float. All their ships have a pointy end. They all have ships that you can sleep on. They all serve food in restaurants. They all cost money to ride on. :D

To say that most cruise lines are very similar to each other is like saying that most restaurants are similar to each other. Denny's is similar to an Olive Garden which is similar to a Ruth's Chris which is similar to your local Chinese restaurant. That is much to simplistic.

I have cruised on lines from Carnival to Disney to Celebrity and others, covering most of the variations on cruise style. They are all very different in feel, atmosphere, and appearance. Where Carnival has decor that favors lots of neon and bold colors and patterns, Disney has a fun, bright, playful decor, and Celebrity has an elegant, refined decor. Activities will be different as well. Carnival is geared to the 20 somethings and their activities, while Disney is geared towards kids and families, while Celebrity is geared towards 30 to 50 age range looking for a more refined, elegant experience.

To think that it matters little what cruise line you book is missing out on one of the aspects that makes cruising so enjoyable - finding a line that makes you the most comfortable by best meeting your own lifestyle preferences.

Edited by fortinweb

I have never been on Princess or Royal Caribbean..but I have been on Celebrity and NCL....I loved my Dawn cruises and was disappointed when she moved from New York..I also loved my Celebrity cruises...all are different...the entertainment on the Dawn was great...I do find things to do on Celebrity but was never bored on NCL....try them..see what you like..every cruise is a good cruise...