How long does it take to embark and disembark?

Misueno

We are on the Celebrity Century leaving May 18th - check in time is between 11 and 3... it is our very first cruise... should we be there right at 11? Will it be a 2 hour process? Once the cruise is over we have booked a tour with bus pick up at 11 am at the pier - what is the process for getting off? What do you recommend to be at the bus bay at 10:30 am?

thank you for your help

As this is all Celebrity specific, I would be researching over on the Celebrity board, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Don't know Celebrity's specific policies, nor what port we are talking about, but generally, boarding will take from 15 minutes to an hour, depending on how busy they are. It is up to you if you want to be there at 11.

Generally, you will be assigned a disembarkation time based upon your post cruise travel plans and needs. From starting the process to being at the curb outside, it can be 15-60 minutes, depending on your place in the line, Immigration and Customs, and a couple of other variables.

Edited by CruiserBruce

It's really like checking into a hotel...assuming that they've opened the check-in counters, you simply get in line, and next in line goes to the 1st available clerk. They look at your ID's, take an imprint of your credit card, and off you go, to get your photo taken to "link" with your ship's key....

We like to get to the ship as early as feasible....after all, boarding day IS day 1 of your vacation!

For leaving, they generally put you in groups to pick up the luggage you left in the hallway the last evening...when they call your group, off you go! If you have an early flight, you need to let them know (about midway thru the cruise, they'll ask for that info) so you can be in one of the 1st groups off. The entire ship should be clear of departing passengers by 10 am, if not earlier!

I hate, hate, hate, lines, waiting, and queuing. We usually get to the terminal around 1:30 and it takes ALMOST 5 minutes to get onto the ship. I just won't wait ,line up, and queue for an hour, just to get onto the ship an hour sooner. Some folks feel that extra hour of being on the ship is worth waiting an hour to do it. I don't!

I hate, hate, hate, lines, waiting, and queuing. We usually get to the terminal around 1:30 and it takes ALMOST 5 minutes to get onto the ship. I just won't wait ,line up, and queue for an hour, just to get onto the ship an hour sooner. Some folks feel that extra hour of being on the ship is worth waiting an hour to do it. I don't!

This is what we have done on the two cruises we have been on. Worked great, no line at all and cabins were ready. :)

Boarding time largely depends on when you show up at the pier and how it relates to when everyone else shows up! It's hard to guess. Since we always stay in a hotel in the departure port city the night before, it will depend on when check out is and if they provide a shuttle to the pier or if we do our own cab. I also don't enjoy the long queue lines (I don't know anyone who does), but I also like the feeling of walking the gangways to board, and the earlier the better. The disadvantage to boarding later is that the MDR & sometimes a type of specialty dining for suite guests closes by 1-2pm - and I refuse to eat at the buffet on embarkation day! It's an absolute zoo and people act like they've never seen food before!

Edited by GORDONCHICK

Total agreement. Who wants to get on early for the crowds in buffet when you can have a nice lunch somewhere off the ship and avoid standing in lines for an hour or so.