Dinner in Windjammer

I know quite a few people LOVE the Windjammer for dinner . . . but I'm not one of them. It's an okay place to eat, especially if you came back late from a shore excursion, or you just want something quick and simple, or you don't feel like being polite company for tablemates. But if I eat there, it's not because I think the place is wonderful and it is "a destination"; rather, I eat there because I'm not up to the hour plus dinner in the MDR. If I go to the Windjammer, it's more of a default than a choice.

Having said that, it does have a wider variety of foods than you'll find in the MDR. The MDR offers perhaps five entrees each evening -- plus the three simple "always availables". In the Windjammer you'll have 4-5 times that many choices, and you do have greater control over your portions. Some of the things in the MDR will be available in the Windjammer, others will not. If you're wondering, you could always swing through the buffet quickly to see what's available . . . of course, the problem with that plan is that by the time you see what's available in the Windjammer, it's probably too late to dress for dinner if you decide you want the MDR.

My personal preference for meals onboard -- most days anyway:

Breakfast in the Windjammer; they have some things that aren't available in the MDR, and I like being able to get my food and sit down immediately (rather than waiting to be seated, waiting for the food to come).

Lunch in the MDR; the Tutti salad alone is enough reason to go.

Dinner in the MDR most nights.

I totally agree with you on everything you said. The windjammer for me is a place to eat breakfast every morning because I can get over medium eggs cooked to order. Of course boarding day lunch will generally be in the WJ for me as well.

Im just not a fan of buffets but still love the MDR. Only 3 cruises with RCI so far but Ive yet to have even a slightly off experience in the MDR and I enjoy the food.

Edited by ryano

The last couple of cruises I have been on have been short ones so we have taken advantage of going to the MDR as a treat as we don't get to eat out often. We then have breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer :)

But after reading all your responses I think I will definitely be trying the Windjammer for dinner at least one evening next week :)

I think one thing that needs to be added to this discussion is this caveat:

Remember, each ship may do their Windjammer Dinner different. It is left up to the ship's person in charge of Food & Beverage. For the most part, they all have the same nightly set up but there will be differences.

And I think some people don't realize, at least on the ships we have been on, that the Windjammer has different areas at Dinner. One area will be set up with dimmed lighting, table cloths and wait staff standing by, a little more elegant but still casual enough to sit there in your shorts and Hawaiian shirt. The rest of the Windjammer will be as always, the normal set up of tables and staff.

Remember, each ship may do their Windjammer Dinner different. It is left up to the ship's person in charge of Food & Beverage. For the most part, they all have the same nightly set up but there will be differences.

Yes, absolutely true. On our B2B on Jewel a few years ago, the Windjammer was the finest we've ever had at sea. Decorative fruit and vegetable carvings every night, the presentation of the items was just superb, and delicious to boot. On our recent Serenade cruise... mmm, not so much. But still wonderful.

And I think some people don't realize, at least on the ships we have been on, that the Windjammer has different areas at Dinner. One area will be set up with dimmed lighting, table cloths and wait staff standing by...

Haven't seen tablecloths in the WJ for years, actually. But the wait staff are always there. :)

Wow, I'm converted and I didn't even ask the question. We have a 9 day and a 10 day eventually, coming up. This will be a good way to break things up.

Is there anywhere on the ship that you can see a whole cruises worth of menus? I know sometimes you can find them on here, but not usually the longer cruises.