Passport Needed Seattle RT??

BridgeMates

Friends say Princess told them they don't need a passport for their Golden Princess cruise to Alaska (Seattle to Seattle with stop in Victoria).

I'm pretty sure this is correct; however thought I'd check with people in-the-know!

Thanks in advance.

Friends say Princess told them they don't need a passport for their Golden Princess cruise to Alaska (Seattle to Seattle with stop in Victoria).

I'm pretty sure this is correct; however thought I'd check with people in-the-know!

Thanks in advance.

Can use a birth certificate along with drivers license (or other government issued ID), or Passport card, or Passport. Any of these choices will work on that cruise.

Edited by ar1950

No, you don't need a passport. However, if you take a tour that enters Canada, you'll need one. It's not required but any time you leave the US (which you are doing once you step foot on the ship), it's a good idea to have a passport.

FYI, a full passport is required by any shore excursion in Skagway that crosses the US - Canada border (see excursion descriptions as there are some special cases such as train trips where you don't get off). No passport will prevent going on some of these excursions.

Edited by cab519

No you don't need one on a closed loop cruise however if there was a problem and they had to fly back to the US from out of the country how would they do that?

Although I get your point, this cruise stops in three ports which are in Alaska and one port in Canada (Victoria). Last I checked Alaska is in the US so no problem there. Victoria is (approx) a 2 1/2 hour drive to Seattle. Unlikely that there is a need to fly back to the US since they are mostly in the US or a relatively short drive to the US, so a passport card also would work (cheaper than a passport).

YMMV

Edited by ar1950

FYI, a full passport is required by any shore excursion in Skagway that crosses the US - Canada border (see excursion descriptions as there are some special cases such as train trips where you don't get off). No passport will prevent going on some of these excursions.

I would believe that a passport card would also work for most of these excursions.

I would apply for a Passport Card. Not expensive, just some time to receive your card (s). You will need a photo just like a passport but the crd is about half the price of the book.

I believe you will enjoy everything with the card that could limit you without one.

When are you heading to ALASKA?

We are going July 5 2014

I would believe that a passport card would also work for most of these excursions.

Since it's a land crossing, you can use either passport, passport card, or an Enhanced Drivers License (offered by some border states). My wife and I are using our EDLs in June.

Jim

When I booked our cruise (same as yours) the princess agent told me to get a passport. We have every intention of doing an excursion or at least getting OFF the ship in Victoria. The passport was $110 and the card was only $30 and covers the Caribbean, Canada and Mexico.

Victoria is (approx) a 2 1/2 hour drive to Seattle.
I think you've confused Victoria with Vancouver. While Vancouver can be a 2 1/2 hour drive down BC Highway 99 and Interstate 5 (depending on traffic and the line at the border), Victoria is located on Vancouver Island. Taking any of the 3 drive on ferry options (BC Ferries, Washington State Ferries or the Black Ball ferry) will make the trip from Victoria to Seattle much longer than 2 1/2 hours.

I think you've confused Victoria with Vancouver. While Vancouver can be a 2 1/2 hour drive down BC Highway 99 and Interstate 5 (depending on traffic and the line at the border), Victoria is located on Vancouver Island. Taking any of the 3 drive on ferry options (BC Ferries, Washington State Ferries or the Black Ball ferry) will make the trip from Victoria to Seattle much longer than 2 1/2 hours.

You are correct. 4 1/2 hrs is probably a better time. Either way the likely hood of having to worry about getting home from a "foreign port" on this itinerary is pretty minimal to my thinking (not like being stuck in Aruba or Cozumel). :cool:

The cruise they're taking is on the Golden, May 31st.

They have a port stop in Victoria, 7pm-midnight on the last night.

If they choose to take only a birth certificate and DL, do you think they'll still be able to get off in Victoria? I don't think they want to purchase passports if they don't absolutely have to. I will tell them about the risk of having to fly back from a foreign port, but Victoria is the only one and it's at the end of the cruise.

Princess told them they don't HAVE to have a passport. I wouldn't travel without one, but I can understand their situation.

I will warn them they can't go up into the Yukon out of Skagway w/out a passport, but I know they want to get off for the port stop in Victoria.

Thanks for all your help.

The cruise they're taking is on the Golden, May 31st.

They have a port stop in Victoria, 7pm-midnight on the last night.

If they choose to take only a birth certificate and DL, do you think they'll still be able to get off in Victoria? I don't think they want to purchase passports if they don't absolutely have to. I will tell them about the risk of having to fly back from a foreign port, but Victoria is the only one and it's at the end of the cruise.

Princess told them they don't HAVE to have a passport. I wouldn't travel without one, but I can understand their situation.

I will warn them they can't go up into the Yukon out of Skagway w/out a passport, but I know they want to get off for the port stop in Victoria.

Thanks for all your help.

Yes, they will have no problem getting off the ship in Victoria. Canadian officials don't check for passports there. And there is an excursion on the Whites Pass Railway in Skagway that doesn't require a passport either because they won't get off the train.

Please note that Princess has a special passport requirement when minors are traveling with only one adult: the entire party must have passports.

Link

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all passengers must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all passengers traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

Please note that Princess has a special passport requirement when minors are traveling with only one adult: the entire party must have passports.

Link

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all passengers must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all passengers traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

I agree, and regardless of how "unlikley" it would be, hardly worth the hassle if there is a problem "out of the country" and one is without the passport.

Always better to have the passport. :cool:

(Sorry to threadjack...)

I was wondering about this issue as well. I don't have a passport, just my DL and a "Certified Copy" of my birth certificate that I got from the county clerk. I'm sailing in two weeks and I definitely don't have time to get a passport.

I don't intend to go ashore in Canada. I'm good, right?? :confused:

(Sorry to threadjack...)

I was wondering about this issue as well. I don't have a passport, just my DL and a "Certified Copy" of my birth certificate that I got from the county clerk. I'm sailing in two weeks and I definitely don't have time to get a passport.

I don't intend to go ashore in Canada. I'm good, right?? :confused:

You're good if it's a "closed loop cruise" that departs and ends in the same US port. You are also good to go ashore in Canada, just not on any excursions that cross the US/Canadian border.

You're good if it's a "closed loop cruise" that departs and ends in the same US port. You are also good to go ashore in Canada, just not on any excursions that cross the US/Canadian border.

Thanks, DWJoe. I forgot to mention that it's a closed loop. I'm confused about going ashore in Canada, though. I thought I would not be able to leave the ship at all while it's in Victoria without a passport. That's not the case? That would be really cool if I could go look around Victoria for a few hours. (If not, I guess I can just lounge around the ship drinking cocktails. Boo hoo ;) )

Thanks, DWJoe. I forgot to mention that it's a closed loop. I'm confused about going ashore in Canada, though. I thought I would not be able to leave the ship at all while it's in Victoria without a passport. That's not the case? That would be really cool if I could go look around Victoria for a few hours. (If not, I guess I can just lounge around the ship drinking cocktails. Boo hoo ;) )

You will absolutely have no problems going ashore in Victoria.

Edited by RickEk