Why PG...Why?

datman57

Unbelievable how emotionally invested some seem to be in certain cruise lines that they call others liars when they have a bad experience and refuse to believe that their line could never have dine something wrong, :rolleyes:

Don't know about being emotionally invested or people making the point that some bad reviews should be treated with caution as well as some of the gushingly good ones. Everyone should make their own decision on picking which ship to go on and really not rely on us too much. Yes read all the reviews but that can get overwhelming. Rely on us for stuff to do on the islands and cruises.

It's early so I apologize if not making sense.... I just got older again this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by twin123185

I just booked our 9th and 10th cruise with the PAUL/G.

Needless to say we don't like the PAUL/G. Ya right! We love this ship.

We love everything about this cruise line.

Small ship

Excellent food and drinks

Casual dress

Good entertainment

The best part of the PAUL/G is there STAFF. Outstanding service. The best.

Going in Nov. Can't wait, counting the days.

Anyone wanting to try the PAUL/G, you will love it!

:)Zoey4545

Happy sailing to everyone

Well Happy Birthday Twin! Hope it was a good one. We are now only 3 months away until our Fiji trip.

Thank you!! 3 1/2 months until mine but who's counting?!!!

You would almost think some posters have an agenda ........

"They wouldn't even discuss it and pretty much all but claimed I was lying--even after I showed them the photo of me wearing the pants at the Captains Reception and going item by item through my entire cabin with the Housekeeping Manager to prove the items weren't there. They were even quite reluctant to give me a claim form, telling me it would be a long wait and hoping I would just go away."

Hummmmmmmm ......... that is a hard one to swallow. Can't imagine anyone on the PG saying "telling me it would be a long wait and hoping I would just go away."

As I always say, you eliminate the top 10% and the bottom 10% of reviews, then look closely at the 80% in the middle. If you see someone who has been on multiple times then take special notice, you can pretty much take those reviews to the bank.

There are several posters on the PG forum that fit that bill, many who have cruised on the PG 6 or more times and have also cruise on competitor lines ........ much one can glean from those seasoned pros.

BTW, I don't include myself in the group, my forte is knowing the islands, 18 trips to FP but only 4 have been on a cruise but if you got a question on the islands, ask me .......

I'm really sorry to have somehow missed this thread. I LOVE a good ruckus. What ever happened to Tom Cruises? Wait...maybe THAT explains this thread!

I have sailed on the PG 8 times, twice in the last year. Is that recent enough for you Ducklite? My trust in the PG staff is unshaken an undiminished.

I'm really sorry to have somehow missed this thread. I LOVE a good ruckus. What ever happened to Tom Cruises? Wait...maybe THAT explains this thread!

I have sailed on the PG 8 times, twice in the last year. Is that recent enough for you Ducklite? My trust in the PG staff is unshaken an undiminished.

But have you sailed Windstar to be able to compare? If not, how can you possibly say one was better than the other?

But have you sailed Windstar to be able to compare? If not, how can you possibly say one was better than the other?

You keep changing the 'rules' Duckie ..........

First you complain and you know better than 98% of other happy cruisers, right .......

Then you say yours is more accurate because no other PG regular has been on the PG lately, sure .......

Then you say your more accurate simply because no one else has been on the 2 cruise lines, wrong again .......

Why not just come out and say your the only qualified person to comment on the PG?

Your sounding like a person that has nothing better to do than argue, and you like it, very sad. Nobody has stated your expectations were not meant but you seem to be going out of your way to malign what the vast majority here know isn't the norm for this wonderful ship.

Edited by Tikiintahiti

I could care less who is better or worse. All I know is that 4 cruises in 4 years under the current ownership have been spectacular. Yes a few hiccups but that's part of the adventure. Princess was excellent on the 2 cruises I took with them as was Royal Caribbean for the one with them. Windstar could be the best - don't care because I will never sail with them. Every major cruise line is good. Here in the NYC area everyone is always comparing the big 5. Been on them all and except for NCL have loved every one.

I never said that PG was better than Windstar...for you. All I know is that in 8 sailings over 13 years, the staff and crew of the PG have not let me down. They are like family to me and to many of us on this board. There is no point in arguing that your family is better than mine...I will always disagree.

On a lighter note...I lost 5 Tommy Bahama shirts last sailing. Of course the difference is that I accidentally put the laundry bag they were in out with the trash. I have pictures of myself wearing them on the PG too! :p

Edited by MotuIslander

I never said that PG was better than Windstar...for you. All I know is that in 8 sailings over 13 years, the staff and crew of the PG have not let me down. They are like family to me and to many of us on this board. There is no point in arguing that your family is better than mine...I will always disagree.

On a lighter note...I lost 5 Tommy Bahama shirts last sailing. Of course the difference is that I accidentally put the laundry bag they were in out with the trash. I have pictures of myself wearing them on the PG too! :p

How could you have done that....

It would have been nag nag from me.

The only problem with the tommy Bahamas shirts is that they crease so easily. DH is still wearing his fake TB which never crease and are made with a soft silk. Just $ 20 or so in Beijing. The other ones he purchased with pg and regent OBC just get so wrinkled.

Did the crew intentionally make the trash container look like a hamper? I mean they probably wanted those shirts ........ :D

BTW, I'm sure your family is better then mine :eek:

How could you have done that....

It would have been nag nag from me.

The only problem with the tommy Bahamas shirts is that they crease so easily. DH is still wearing his fake TB which never crease and are made with a soft silk. Just $ 20 or so in Beijing. The other ones he purchased with pg and regent OBC just get so wrinkled.

Actually (I hope no one will look down on me), I like the Jamaica Jax shirts at Costco better than TBs.

Actually (I hope no one will look down on me), I like the Jamaica Jax shirts at Costco better than TBs.

DH has some costco ones too. But we don't get them too often here in Canada.

Regent and crystal provide huge OBCs and especially on Regent there isn't much to spend on. We upgraded some excursions and some wine bought DD a bottle of Opus 1 to bring home and still had a lot of money left. Some of the agents give you ten to 15 % of the fare in OBC plus there is the Amex credit as well.

Anyway I am done with Regent their prices have really hit the roof.

I'm with you. I actually don't like Tommy Bahama. Let me explain that I usually buy my husband's shirts. He prefers cotton. I don't like the texture of the TB shirts, plus they seem to be made to be untucked, which is fine, but often a man wants to tuck his shirt in.

DH has some costco ones too. But we don't get them too often here in Canada.

Anyway I am done with Regent their prices have really hit the roof.

Miriam, I will check out Costco when I'm there tomorrow! I'm with you on Regent, although it's still the most comfortable-feeling cruise line for me, if I didn't have to think about the cost.

Wendy,

Colin got a cotton shirt with a polynesian print from costco. You cannot really see the creases so you dont have to get them ironed.

He actually likes the feel of the TB shirts and wears them both inside and outside. Last year he bought a few shirts on the PG as well with OBC that were cotton.

On the subject of bright comfortable shirts for travel, my DW found the best I have had from Caribbean CoolWear. They are from St. Martin. When you wash them the first time according to the instructions, they are truly wash and wear from then on. They never wrinkle, pack to next to nothing, and feel as if you are wearing nothing.:eek: And did I mention they cost only $25? Great colors and styles for tropical voyages. I hope to wear mine on PG in the not too distant future.

Thanks Jim.

We dont visit St Martin until 2016 - just went there earlier this year but I will keep them in mind.

And, enjoy your PG cruise!

Actually, Lois found them on line (what a shopper) and that's how I buy them. :D

Wendy,

Colin got a cotton shirt with a polynesian print from costco. You cannot really see the creases so you dont have to get them ironed.

He actually likes the feel of the TB shirts and wears them both inside and outside. Last year he bought a few shirts on the PG as well with OBC that were cotton.

I was just about to say that my husband has bought a few shirts at Costco that I constantly get confused with his Tommy Bahama shirts. They look just as nice and are about 1/5 the price. It's possible we got them at Costco in Michigan, but I'm pretty sure some were from Ontario Costcos.

We have booked the PG for next year for our 25th anniversary and I am very much looking forward to it. I must say the negative reviews had me a little concerned, but I have to remember that Celebrity and Azamara have also had negative reviews, but I have never had anything to complain about on our dozens of cruises with them. I love the food, the wine (generally lower end ones), the excellent service, etc. If the PG is as good as Celebrity, I'll be a happy girl.

My main reason for choosing the PG is the size of the ship, and the fact that they specialize in French Polynesia. I'd be absolutely shocked to not have a good time.

Hi BrendaJ,

I hope you love your Polynesian cruise.

Congratulations on your 25th and do consider the Vow renewal they offer . Its very well done. My daughter did it for our 30th.

While the PG is my favourite ship and the staff are like family. It is nowhere like Azamara. Even on our first Azamara cruise we were stunned with the staff attention to service. This from the lowest employee to the captain. They are indeed a special line and congratulations to Larry P for what he has built. On the other hand I hate Celebrity which I find quasi snobbish!!! The nearest I can point out to Azamara would be the old Radisson cruise line.

You have to be open to the PG's special charms and not get hung up on some particular item whether its the fact that your post cards were not yet sent or your water was not poured as you liked. ( on Celebrity the hostess invited us for dinner once with each of our three first names and surname totally mispelled... what was she drinking?)They are not perfect but they have a mystique that is special and closely linked to their polynesian flair. After all your are going for a second honeymoon to a very beautiful place. Its a very simple ship really nothing lavish and obviously luxuriant but so many things are included and ( IMO) they have an incredible staff. I am sure you will enjoy it. 7 cruises on PG down and 2 more booked/planned.

I have seen the Polynesian shirts at Costco from time to time. DH has such a collection of those type of shirts that I skip those isles at Costco. It was the famous ( or infamous) Motu Islander who tipped me about the Costco shirt. Last Year DH got a couple of interesting shirts on the PG that have Polynesian flair but not in the Tommy Bahama style. the front was painted on.

Hope you have the cruise of a lifetime in beautiful FP. Beware the FP flu though.... it gets rather expensive ( but very enjoyable) as many on this board will tell you!

Edited by Emdee

I went on the third cruise Azamara ever had from NJ to Bermuda. It was horrendous. Glad to hear it's better

I heard it was bad in the beginning. But once they brought in Larry P it got a lot better. The service is spectacular, the food is superb all for a premium not a luxury line. They are also all inclusive without the premium liquors.

The specialty restaurants are also quite good.