Live--Vancouver to SFO and Back Again

PunkiC

Thanks for sharing your input. It is always interesting to see how other folks feel about shared experiences.

I hope that everyone feels free to share their experiences.

As the OP mentioned boarding the Grand was a breeze - this despite there being another ship in town - because it was overnighting it was less of a problem that I thought it would be.

The Grand brings back memories to me as it is the ship that I spent 48 days on last year doing a South American cruise - I even booked the same cabin B420 that I had on that cruise.

I too was disappointed in not stopping in Astoria - have been there before on a cruise and have camped and hiked in the area as well BUT as one early risers stated to me the pilot boat spent at least 30 minutes trying to safely get along side the boat.

I asked the Passengers service desk about a port fee cancellation refund and her words were "read your contract."

In more than 20 cruises this is the first time I haven't got a refund for a missed port.

As for the free drink for us Platinum and above cruisers - wonder if it had more to do with no formal get togethers for the various passenger groupins.

In Nanaimo - I took the ship excursion's to the Horne Lake caves north of the City - there were 12 of us in a mini-van - our tour guide is a local and a wealth of information - I was the only other Canadian on the bus and as I have spent time in the area over the years I added to some of her info.

We arrive a Horne Lake around 2 o'clock where we are met by a parks guide - we are given our helmets and lite - sign our waiver and start the 1.5 mile walk UPHILL to the entrance to the Riverbend cave.

It was a steep drop down in the cave on a steel stairwell and you rarely were able to stand erect.

I survived and then it onto to adjacent regional parkm for a lite lunch and then back to the ship.

I opted to get down off in town - walked around enjoying the fine weather - the last time I was there it rained. Stopped at "The Troller" for a feast of fish and chips.

Then walked back to the ship.

On Saturday morning my disembarking was a breeze - myself and another couple both had 9:05 AM walkoff but we were called early.

Proceeded outside and waited less than five minutes for a taxi - there was a steady stream of cabs in the holding area when we were there.

Thanks PunkiC for starting this thread and letting me share my experience.

Cheers

Dennis

We have had port charges credited back to our credit card months after we have returned from a cruise. You still might get it back.

Edited by waltd

We have had port charges credited back to our credit card months after we have returned from a cruise. You still might get it back.

I think we have always got the port charges back (I think they have to do that) but have never got a partial refund of the cruise fare back. Once we got a partial refund of a shore excursion back when we were late, but that's because they did shorten the excursion.

And Punki, thanks for this thread. It was fun reliving it.

Hey, the Crown is doing Alaska on August 23, southbound. I'm just sayin'

Thanks everyone. Abby, we will think about Alaska, but we are already committed at some point to go with my little sister and her husband so it will depend on what date they choose.

I don't think I mentioned that we had $2.57 credit left at the end of the cruise and didn't claim it. I will keep an eye on our credit card and see if they refund that and the port charges. In the past we have been stopped and told to go to the Purser's desk to get OBC refunds, but that was in England. Maybe they don't do that in the US. In the US we have always claimed the refund before departing.

Princess does not make money off the port charges. If there was a refund due to Princess, we will get pieces of it. Note that the pilot was boarded at Astoria, that was made clear both in the Captain's announcement and in the Log of the Cruise. So depending on local policies, we may not be due money back.

On OBC. If you or someone paid for that OBC (travel agent, for example), you'll get it back by check. If it is a grace and favour of Princess (shareholder, for example) you do not. This is what I learned chasing down my remaining $300 of OBC I had when I unexpectedly left the Pacific Princess in February due to injury. (I got a check in full)

Princess does not make money off the port charges. If there was a refund due to Princess, we will get pieces of it. Note that the pilot was boarded at Astoria, that was made clear both in the Captain's announcement and in the Log of the Cruise. So depending on local policies, we may not be due money back.

On OBC. If you or someone paid for that OBC (travel agent, for example), you'll get it back by check. If it is a grace and favour of Princess (shareholder, for example) you do not. This is what I learned chasing down my remaining $300 of OBC I had when I unexpectedly left the Pacific Princess in February due to injury. (I got a check in full)

Understandably the pilot would still need to be paid even if the docking didn't occur due to dangerous conditions. As for the port taxes as well, that would depend on the port Authorities and Princess as to what and how much gets paid.

We always use our OBC (and some) just in case it is the type you do not get refunded.:D